Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #212 of 306
I have not paid any extra - apart from the ebay price - so I am very happy

See my prev post for first impressions - but I agree I would love to get hold of an rPac to compare the two, but for me this is a keeper. It does all I wanted
beyersmile.png

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #213 of 306
Quote:
Hi guys,

A newbie here :) I as wondering if you can compare the Audinst MX-2 to Arcam rPAC in terms of sound. I'd definitely go for the latter over the MX-1 (based on reviews, forums etc.), but the MX-2 has just been released, so I'm not sure what to do. I am leaning towards the rPAC as I'm not really sure what excise/tax/import duty etc. I'd have to pay HMRC - I can just get the rPAC from Amazon and be done with it, while the MX-2 can only be bought from S.Korea (I'd really appreciate any input from people who've recently bought/imported this into UK), I'm willing to spend a bit more on the MX-2 if it gets me a better sound, but within reason...

Hi I'm from the UK as well, ordered this last week and its currently at the national depot according to the parcelforce website:

[tr] [td] 19-03-2013[/td] [td] 13:29[/td] [td] National Hub[/td] [td] Received and processed[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 19-03-2013[/td] [td] 10:44[/td] [td] International Hub[/td] [td] Forwarded for UK processing[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 19-03-2013[/td] [td] 10:38[/td] [td] International Hub[/td] [td] Received and processed[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 15-03-2013[/td] [td] 17:21[/td] [td] International Hub[/td] [td] Awaiting Customs clearance[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 15-03-2013[/td] [td] 17:20[/td] [td] International Hub[/td] [td] Received in destination country[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 14-03-2013[/td] [td] 00:39[/td] [td] Delivery Agent - SEOUL - PTT[/td] [td] Forwarded for export[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 13-03-2013[/td] [td] 21:53[/td] [td] Delivery Agent - SEOUL - PTT[/td] [td] Forwarded for export[/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] 13-03-2013[/td] [td] 16:57[/td] [td] Delivery Agent - KOREA, REPUBLIC OF[/td] [td] Collected from customer[/td] [/tr]

I think it looks like I won't have to pay customs fees seeing as its cleared through customs in the international hub but I'll let you know for sure once I receive the parcel.

@ Meschle glad you didn't have to pay any extra fees! I hope I won't have to either 
beyersmile.png

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #215 of 306
Quote:
I'm from the UK. Central London infact. I payed no customs. I didn't look at tracking either probably because i didn't know such a thing was in place for this order.

If you are unlucky, you'll receive a red and white card from Parcelforce through the post. On it will be written the amount for Customs import duty and the Parcelforce handling fee. There is a phone number you'll need to call and pay the fees. Then they'll release the goods and deliver it to you.

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #216 of 306
Just for the OP-Amps: I got a LME49860 which gets good reviews all over the web. Most reviews are for the LME from National Semi, mine is from Texas Instruments. Who is into this topic and can tell if there is a difference?
And I will get a DT880 600Ohm hopefully end of this week. I will let you know how the Audinst goes with the high Ohms. 

Edit: just saw that Ti took National over. So chips are the same, aren´t they?

Edit II: I did some research to understand the sentence:

In the HUD-mx2, the OPA2227 is part of a differential amplifier circuit, which is used to improve common mode rejection among other things.

That seemed to me as the OPA2227 does mainly care about the common rejection. What I understand now after research is that the OPA2227 is an OP-Amp with the function of amplification but with the advantage of common mode rejection. And therefore has an influence on the SQ on both headphone and line out and can be replaced with an OP-Amp that has the common mode rejection feature too (like the LME49860).
Can somebody with deeper understanding enlighten me? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #217 of 306
Quote:
Just for the OP-Amps: I got a LME49860 which gets good reviews all over the web. Most reviews are for the LME from National Semi, mine is from Texas Instruments. Who is into this topic and can tell if there is a difference?
And I will get a DT880 600Ohm hopefully end of this week. I will let you know how the Audinst goes with the high Ohms. 

Edit: just saw that Ti took National over. So chips are the same, aren´t they?

Edit II: I did some research to understand the sentence:

That seemed to me as the OPA2227 does mainly care about the common rejection. What I understand now after research is that the OPA2227 is an OP-Amp with the function of amplification but with the advantage of common mode rejection. And therefore has an influence on the SQ on both headphone and line out and can be replaced with an OP-Amp that has the common mode rejection feature too (like the LME49860).
Can somebody with deeper understanding enlighten me? 

Yep, TI basically buys up other brands left and right, so a lot of existing chips end up becoming TI branded chips at some point. 

Google "difference amplifier" or "differential amplifier" to get an idea how they work. A single opamp can sometimes be used by itself but most of the time (as is the case with the mx2) there is more to the circuit than just the opamp alone. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #218 of 306
Quote:
If you are unlucky, you'll receive a red and white card from Parcelforce through the post. On it will be written the amount for Customs import duty and the Parcelforce handling fee. There is a phone number you'll need to call and pay the fees. Then they'll release the goods and deliver it to you.

I've had plenty of them in the past. Plenty, trust me!!
You can pay online though which is what I normally would do

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #219 of 306
My audinst mx2 arrived today! What's strange though, is that despite audinst putting the full value of the mx2 on the customs form on the package, I didn't have to pay any customs/duty fees or anything. Not that I'm complaining 
beyersmile.png

Initial impressions are good, it really improves the clarity and soundstage of HD 650's 
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also the unit is much smaller than I expected when I was looking at the pictures but I guess that makes it more portable :p

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #221 of 306
I am selling my mx2 if anyone in the uk is interested. It is superb with my laptop but stutters with my dell mini 10 netbook. I have tried all the fixes inc bios uptate to no avail. Save yourself time and money - it is as new condition - included is a better quality earthed 12v psu than what was supplied.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171011668995

I will look into async dacs instead

regards

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #223 of 306
Quote:
I am selling my mx2 if anyone in the uk is interested. It is superb with my laptop but stutters with my dell mini 10 netbook. I have tried all the fixes inc bios uptate to no avail. Save yourself time and money - it is as new condition - included is a better quality earthed 12v psu than what was supplied.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171011668995

I will look into async dacs instead

regards

well now I can't find it anywhere......I might be hugely wrong

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #224 of 306
The mx2 is not asynchronous, see project86's review. yes i tried it with ac, everything i am an it guy. it is there on uk ebay on the link, it is only open to uk buyers. 1 bid already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back