Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #196 of 306
Quote:
Thanks project86 for this detailled review. Especially for explaining some of the technical background and comparing to some competitors.
From the specs it should be possible to drive a 880 600 Ohm, we´ll see.
I did not expect that you don´t hear large difference using the psu or not. If this thing can be used on the road too - even better.
What you think about changing the OPA2227? Could be worth the try or wasting time?
I stumbled upon a thread here quoting a japanese site:

That was of course for the AMP-HP.
So if anybody has some free time and bucks - that´s a list of options to try.
And I would not necessarily think that 50$ is an obstacle as some buy RCA-Cables about that budget - and I trust more in the ability of an OPAmp to change interesting things than of an cable.

The opamp in the AMP-HP is more directly responsible for powering the headphones. So it makes sense that swapping it would lead to audible changes. In the HUD-mx2, the OPA2227 is part of a differential amplifier circuit, which is used to improve common mode rejection among other things. It doesn't seem wise to swap that chip out since we don't know what parameters the circuit calls for. Frankly I'm surprised Audinst went with a socketed chip in that spot.

The OPA2134 on the line-out is another matter. Swapping that out could very well bring improvements, and it would be worth investigating. 

Quote:
thats not a problem Project86, after all there is only so much you can listen to. Can I ask if you subscribe to the view that spdif is inherently superior to USB with a clear performance difference?

Depends on the implementation of each. If we are talking about potential alone, I think properly done asynchronous USB clearly has the advantage. But there are so many variables that it can never be a blanket statement. 

Quote:
Hi all,

Anyone have any views on how the audinst hud-mx2 compares to the NFB 11.32 , or the schiit magni/modi combination?

In my area, the audinst hud-mx2 and the schiit magni/modi are both around USD250 whereas the NFB 11.32 is around USD337.

Likely setup would be laptop with hifiman he-500. (but do give views on how these dac/amps perform on paper)

[edit: would also be nice to hear what you guys think of the build quality (how sturdy/robust), and weight/portability]
seems the audinst hud-mx2 are pretty portable and of substantial build quality.

Thanks.

I can't speak to the comparisons, having no experience with the Audio GD or the Schiit. But I would think if transportabiliy was a concern, you would not be considering units like those which require AC power. In that case USB powered devices like Audinst or HRT would be the way to go. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #197 of 306
Quote:

Depends on the implementation of each. If we are talking about potential alone, I think properly done asynchronous USB clearly has the advantage. But there are so many variables that it can never be a blanket statement. 

I can't speak to the comparisons, having no experience with the Audio GD or the Schiit. But I would think if transportabiliy was a concern, you would not be considering units like those which require AC power. In that case USB powered devices like Audinst or HRT would be the way to go. 

Thanks a lot Project86......by the way are you reviewing the new HRT music streamer HD......the one that is fully balanced for $450?

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #198 of 306
I'm considering between Yulong U100 and Audinst HUD-MX2?  Which one is perfectly match with my Ultrasone pro 750? I had used the Audio-GD NFB12, but I just gave it to my brother. 

Please help advise :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #199 of 306
Quote:

Thanks a lot Project86......by the way are you reviewing the new HRT music streamer HD......the one that is fully balanced for $450?

I probably won't - all booked up for a while. Looks nice though. 

Quote:
I'm considering between Yulong U100 and Audinst HUD-MX2?  Which one is perfectly match with my Ultrasone pro 750? I had used the Audio-GD NFB12, but I just gave it to my brother. 

Please help advise :)

I'd probably do with the Audinst as I think it outclasses the U100 in overall SQ. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #200 of 306
Quote:
The opamp in the AMP-HP is more directly responsible for powering the headphones. So it makes sense that swapping it would lead to audible changes. In the HUD-mx2, the OPA2227 is part of a differential amplifier circuit, which is used to improve common mode rejection among other things. It doesn't seem wise to swap that chip out since we don't know what parameters the circuit calls for. Frankly I'm surprised Audinst went with a socketed chip in that spot.

The OPA2134 on the line-out is another matter. Swapping that out could very well bring improvements, and it would be worth investigating. 

Alright, so I should ask Audinst what was their intention to make the differential amp swappable. The line-out is not that important to me as it will only play a 5%-usage-role at least.
On the other I am so pleased with the sound signature as I go on re-listening to my library that I see no urgent need for changing something here.
Perhaps it will be better to save the money for a nice tube amp to play with.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #202 of 306
Thanks for the great recommendation :)

Actually, I am considering Yulong D100 MK ii as well, but I'm not so sure whether it's worth a try?. Are there big differences between HUD-mx2 and D100 MKii in terms of sound quality (I just need the good DAC/AMP to pair with my Ultrasone pro 750)

PS. I have MBP, do I need to worry about the driver?

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #205 of 306
Quote:

Hi project86, thanks for sharing these technical details.

So you are saying swapping OPA2134 can only impact the SQ of the RCA line-out? If I rely on the built-in AMP of MX2 to drive my headphones, swapping OPA2227 may have impact, is it correct? But you also said doing so doesn't seem wise 
confused_face.gif

By the way, I have a LME49720HA which I really liked in my ibasso P4 and would like to try it in MX2. 

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #206 of 306
I am looking forward to compare both of them, with o2+Odac and U100, iFi iDAC as well. MX2 should be arrived with me this week.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #207 of 306
Quote:
Hi project86, thanks for sharing these technical details.

So you are saying swapping OPA2134 can only impact the SQ of the RCA line-out? If I rely on the built-in AMP of MX2 to drive my headphones, swapping OPA2227 may have impact, is it correct? But you also said doing so doesn't seem wise 
confused_face.gif

By the way, I have a LME49720HA which I really liked in my ibasso P4 and would like to try it in MX2. 

Correct - OPA2134 is for the line-out, so it should not impact the headphone section at all. OPA2227 should but like I said, I don't know how good of an idea it might be. I guess it couldn't hurt though. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #208 of 306
Hi guys,

A newbie here :) I as wondering if you can compare the Audinst MX-2 to Arcam rPAC in terms of sound. I'd definitely go for the latter over the MX-1 (based on reviews, forums etc.), but the MX-2 has just been released, so I'm not sure what to do. I am leaning towards the rPAC as I'm not really sure what excise/tax/import duty etc. I'd have to pay HMRC - I can just get the rPAC from Amazon and be done with it, while the MX-2 can only be bought from S.Korea (I'd really appreciate any input from people who've recently bought/imported this into UK), I'm willing to spend a bit more on the MX-2 if it gets me a better sound, but within reason...

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #209 of 306
Hi aginor, being a uk person as well i was really torn between the two. i decided on the mx2 as is def more versitile and will have a higher output to headphones and line so more suited to a range of headphones. Also mx2 has an optical input. As for sound i am just about to collect, there has been no custom duty if that helps. i sense the rPac would be a more laid back refined sound but have not heard it.

edit = up and running - I am impressed and really like the unit. I concur it is a little bass light but I think that will change as it burns in. It has a good output to my headphones and tripath amp which is what I wanted.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #210 of 306
Wow. 

Nice surprise to receive a parcel with this amp/dac in it, whilst at work.

Great turnaround from audinst - I ordered it on the weekend I think.

I'll burn it in for two weeks before listening to it and reporting on what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back