Audinst-HUD-MX2 DAC/Amp
Mar 16, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #181 of 306
Just moved the system in my flat from A to B with decabling and recabling and could not reproduce the problem.
So I consider the failure this morning as a hickup of software.
While we all wait for a review from someone experienced I can assure you there's enough bass - just relaxing with Holy Other's EP "With U" - as deep as the 770er Beyers can do, with ease.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #182 of 306
Quote:
How long has it been stuck in customs for?
I live in the UK too and mine's also stuck in customs... Was hoping to have it so I could listen to it this weekend but I guess I'll have to wait

Well - according to Parceforce's website, mine has been sitting in customs awaiting clearance for 3 days now !
Of course, it may be that they just haven't bothered to update the tracking info but no amount of incompetence or delay would surprise me.
I believe that Parceforce send out an advice/tax payment demand by post when customs finally get round to deciding the amount to be paid and of course Parcelforce add on their admin charge as well. Then, when you have paid up, you can collect it or wait for them to get round to delivering it !  Last time I imported something, I collected it to speed the process up rather than stay at home for 2/3 days waiting in case they should deliver it. Compared to others on here in different countries, it just goes to show what **** we have to put up with in the UK.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #183 of 306
You are not alone - nearly same here in Germany. 3 days in Frankfurt customs, 2 days in Berlin customs, 1 hour waiting in customs office for paying VAT and having the CE-sign controlled... But definitely wortth it!
Changed in the meantime over to some even more relaxed - Allan Taylor. Sounds convincing too, very natural.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #184 of 306
Well - according to Parceforce's website, mine has been sitting in customs awaiting clearance for 3 days now !
Of course, it may be that they just haven't bothered to update the tracking info but no amount of incompetence or delay would surprise me.
I believe that Parceforce send out an advice/tax payment demand by post when customs finally get round to deciding the amount to be paid and of course Parcelforce add on their admin charge as well. Then, when you have paid up, you can collect it or wait for them to get round to delivering it !  Last time I imported something, I collected it to speed the process up rather than stay at home for 2/3 days waiting in case they should deliver it. Compared to others on here in different countries, it just goes to show what **** we have to put up with in the UK.

That's pretty ****. Mine cleared US customs in 8 hours. Arrived on the 13th Airplane 14th though customs and 15th delivered to me.

And Yes, It appears burn-in exists on this. Not sure if it's me getting used to the sound sig but there is a change.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #185 of 306
Because I intend to go with 600 Ohms I would appreciate if someone with technical knowledge could shortly explain what the gain jumper exactly does.
Does it "boost" the signal or does it take some resistance out of the way? Is there a loss of dynamics?
Btw, never got Tom Yorkes first solo-album more enjoyable served than just this moment.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #186 of 306
Because I intend to go with 600 Ohms I would appreciate if someone with technical knowledge could shortly explain what the gain jumper exactly does.
Does it "boost" the signal or does it take some resistance out of the way? Is there a loss of dynamics?
Btw, never got Tom Yorkes first solo-album more enjoyable served than just this moment.

Form looking at the manual it boosts the gain of output signal.

I wouldn't think it would harm the dynamics.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #187 of 306
Quote:
Just moved the system in my flat from A to B with decabling and recabling and could not reproduce the problem.
So I consider the failure this morning as a hickup of software.
While we all wait for a review from someone experienced I can assure you there's enough bass - just relaxing with Holy Other's EP "With U" - as deep as the 770er Beyers can do, with ease.

hey rock-solid, the bass indeed came to how it supposed to sound after a day of listening. i'm enjoying them now too. MX2 does need some time to shine in both low and highs 

That's pretty ****. Mine cleared US customs in 8 hours. Arrived on the 13th Airplane 14th though customs and 15th delivered to me.

And Yes, It appears burn-in exists on this. Not sure if it's me getting used to the sound sig but there is a change.
Mine passed through custom very smooth as well. here's my delivery details, hope it'll be useful.
[size=small]
17:31 12-Mar-2013​
Posting/Collection​
NAMINCHEON​
Posting office zip code : 405707
Destination country : MALAYSIA
21:47 12-Mar-2013​
Arrival at outward office of exchange​
INTERNATIONAL POST OFFICE​

01:33 13-Mar-2013​
Departure from outward office of exchange​
INTERNATIONAL POST OFFICE​
Dispatch number : 163
02:16 13-Mar-2013​
Handed over to Air carrier​
INCHEON​

23:47 13-Mar-2013​
Arrival at inward office of exchange​
MYKULA​

23:48 13-Mar-2013​
Handed over to Customs​
MYKULA​
Customs retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner
00:36 14-Mar-2013​
Departure from inward office of exchange​
MYKULA​

16:29 14-Mar-2013​
Final delivery​
MY6815​
Recipient : KWONG()
Result : Final delivery
[/size]

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #189 of 306
Thanks project86 - this has made my day
beerchug.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #193 of 306
Thanks project86 for this detailled review. Especially for explaining some of the technical background and comparing to some competitors.
From the specs it should be possible to drive a 880 600 Ohm, we´ll see.
I did not expect that you don´t hear large difference using the psu or not. If this thing can be used on the road too - even better.
What you think about changing the OPA2227? Could be worth the try or wasting time?
I stumbled upon a thread here quoting a japanese site:

The stock MUSES8820 is a little boring (in their opinion) and the resolution merely adequate

MUSES02 lets the top end soar in comparison to the 8820, and tightens up the sound, but at the loss of some emotionality in the sound.

LME49860 is their top recommendation. Separation is good, and the sound becomes clear-cut/ 3 dimensional. Overall, clarity and detail are improved, without any feeling/impression of "edginess"

LME49720 is grainier than the 49860 and not worth buying over the 49860

OPA2134 is very energetic and lively, but because of this it may not suit all kinds of music

OPA2277 is more restrained than the 2134 but doesn't suit the AMP-HP very well

That was of course for the AMP-HP.
So if anybody has some free time and bucks - that´s a list of options to try.
And I would not necessarily think that 50$ is an obstacle as some buy RCA-Cables about that budget - and I trust more in the ability of an OPAmp to change interesting things than of an cable.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #195 of 306
Hi all,

Anyone have any views on how the audinst hud-mx2 compares to the NFB 11.32 , or the schiit magni/modi combination?

In my area, the audinst hud-mx2 and the schiit magni/modi are both around USD250 whereas the NFB 11.32 is around USD337.

Likely setup would be laptop with hifiman he-500. (but do give views on how these dac/amps perform on paper)

[edit: would also be nice to hear what you guys think of the build quality (how sturdy/robust), and weight/portability]
seems the audinst hud-mx2 are pretty portable and of substantial build quality.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back