Audigy to MicroDAC cable??
Dec 10, 2005 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

edmoses

New Head-Fier
Does anybody have a recommended cable to connect the Digital out of the Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 to the Digital in of a MicroDAC??

I have tried (and use) the MicroDAC via USB, but am interested in trying it connected to the Audigy for Games.....

Regards,

Ed
ps be gentle I am new to these parts....

Dec 10, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 5
i have same setup as you, pcmcia audigy 2 into micro stack. glad to see i'm not the only one who opted to pay the extra money for an optical out on my laptop instead of going usb. assumably, you tried the usb route first, found your way to asio4all, realized what a pain in the ass it was, and the paid up for the audigy because it works with kernel streaming every time.

i don't know if i'm a huge believer in the cables making that big a deal for sound quiality over optical. i have 2 which are different lengths. I have a 2m monster cable optical, and a 1m Acoustic Research. I have the adapters to convert over to the minitoslink plug as well.

The only problem I've had with that setup is the little plastic adapter. I've had one snap inside my micro dac, i had to use a needle nose to pull the end out. I was able to crazy glue it back together and it seems to work, but I'll probably look to get a different cable with a metal mini plug built into the cable, just so it's a bit stronger. If I can find a glass one, I'll probably spring for it, just because with what I've already spent on this rig, it's only a few dollars more.

Don't know what cans you're using, but that combo with my Senn650/Cardas is just so beautiful. The sound blows me away every single time I listen.

I realize I just typed a lot and didn't really answer your question. Just google "mini toslink" and you should find plenty....

Dec 10, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 5
You need a radioshack gold Mono to RCA adapter and then an RCA Video cable from the adapter to the coax in. Only other option is to get someone to make a custom cable for you.

edit: radioshack also makes "Dubbing" cables that are a direct Mono 1/8 to RCA, but I think the impedance and ohm rating of a video cable is better for digital application(SPDIF), but I could be mistaken.

Dec 11, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by edmoses
The Audigy PCI card does not do optical out - only digital (with a 3.5mm plug as at the MicroDAC end).

Regards,

Ed

Optical is digital. The microdac uses a mini-toslink, same connector as on the augigy 2 card. You can also use a 3.5mm coax for the micro dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back