Audigy Digital out
Mar 6, 2003 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dudlew

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I am just wondering about the digital out on the Audigy card. I thought it was optical, but I am not sure and would like some clarification on this. Is it that I use a mono mini to rca for this or is it optical?

D

Mar 6, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Regular Audigy has a 3.5mm jack that is "coax". You'd need mini to RCA adapter to use it. Platinum edition has not only real coax and real toslink but it also has them on both inputs and outputs (total of 4 jacks). Of course platinum edition is quite expensive.

Mar 6, 2003 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the clarification aos

D

Mar 6, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know about the original Audigy, but my Audigy 2 card has a way out of spec output on S/PDIF. It puts out 9 volts P-P. In some cases you may need to attenuate the signal to a more reasonable voltage. I used a 480 ohm resistor.

Stu

Mar 6, 2003 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Doesn't SPDIF out actually shares the same jack as, I don't know, subwoofer out? You must make sure it's set as digital out and not that other thing. But if it's 9v p-p, that is really WAY out of specs and could cause some major damage in an external DAC.

Mar 6, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 9
No, it's dedicated to S/PDIF and it must be set to digital out. That's what's coming out of there. It's not exactly the cleanest looking signal, but it works, even without attentuation to my Flying Cow DAC. Yeah 9 volts is totally insane. I can't believe a company like Creative could put out something like that.

Stu

Mar 7, 2003 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Actually no, it IS shared between center/subwoofer analog and SPD/IF digital out. Just looked at the Audigy box I have on top of my bookshelf. I presume you have to set up which one do you want but only one is active at any given time of course.

Mar 7, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the Audigy 2 card from Dell. I can assure you there is no option for subwoofer anywhere. It says digital out on the jack and nothing else. Anyway, it's a POS.

Stu

Mar 7, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Mine is Audigy 1 platinum and it does share that jack, according to the diagram on the box itself. Maybe they changed that in Audigy 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back