Audigy died, need a replacment for music and videos only, No gaming.
Apr 24, 2010 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Zoltan99

Head-Fier
My Audigy 2 ZS got shocked through my headphones via some static electricity and now the sound is all botched especially at higher volumes. I don't game any more, and only listen to music and watch TV/Movies on my computer. So I need a replacement which is hopefully better at music(mostly flac) and Movies/TV. I mainly run Linux, if that helps. I'm not looking to spend all that much, but what good quality. It can be PCI or PCI-E, and I mainly listen to ATH-A700 headphones.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Azuntech Prelude.
Omega Striker 7.1(That's within your budget)

I'm not sure if your using a amp to power your ATH-A700's, but there 64Ohm and you'd want something that has high impedance on it.

The Azuntech I bet is your best choice. It'll make those baby's sound nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Regards,
TrentH

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoltan99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok great and what about the Dac's everybody seems to like so much.

Really depends on your budget.
Do you want a card or a DAC or possible both? Although using both is usually done more for gaming then music playback.

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

My Audigy 2 ZS got shocked through my headphones via some static electricity and now the sound is all botched especially at higher volumes. I don't game any more, and only listen to music and watch TV/Movies on my computer. So I need a replacement which is hopefully better at music(mostly flac) and Movies/TV. I mainly run Linux, if that helps. I'm not looking to spend all that much, but what good quality. It can be PCI or PCI-E, and I mainly listen to ATH-A700 headphones.

I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX. It's a great card and has a headphone jack and great DAC's. I don't know about it's Linux abilities / drivers.

I also have heard great things about the Juli@.

shane

Apr 26, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 16
If you stick with a card based on the VIA Envy24 you can count on Linux compatibility. That includes most M-Audio, the ESI Juli@ and Audiotrak Prodigy HD2. The HD2 also has a headphone output with minijack on back panel. Both have good DACs.

One bargain is the M-Audio Revo 5.1 which has same DAC as Juli@ and also a headphone out similar to HD2.

Another bargain is the HD2 on eBay. I bought one and was very impressed. But there is no ink on the connector so I feel slighted.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 16
How is the Azuntech Prelude on linux? Also how does the Azuntech Prelude compare to the VIA Envy24 products. I can spend atmost $90. I just want really good sound quality with default linux kernel support.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really depends on your budget.
Do you want a card or a DAC or possible both? Although using both is usually done more for gaming then music playback.

Just one or the other.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 16
As far as I know there is no linux support. You can read the actual state of the auzentech cards support on their web page:

Quote:

For the Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1, Linux driver development was planned but then suspended in 2008

Quote:

The C-Media-based Auzentech soundcards (X-Mystique, X-Plosion, and X-Meridian) have limited compatibility with Linux through C-Media's Linux driver for 8768/8770 and 8788 chipsets. However, the driver does not support Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive.

Quote:

As for other Auzentech soundcards, Linux drivers are not planned as of this writing (February 2009), because the main advantages of the soundcards are not available under that operating system.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Never grab a Creative or Creative based sound card, as I'll quote myself:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vergex2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, I'd rather have a Nuforce uDac than any sound cards those companies are offering. (Auzen X-Fi Prelude owner)

However, the uDac does have shortfalls; namely being unable to play at volumes past about 2 or 3 o clock on the dial without major distortion. However, it is substantially cheaper and I prefer its sound to any high end sound card. It is also fully portable (as logn as you have a computer with a USB port).

If you really want to go for a card, I'd say grab an Asus - though it usually is a bad idea because for the price of a Xonar, you can grab a decent amp/DAC.

I'd never buy another Creative or Creative licensed [Auzen X-Fi] card again due to rampant and drastic problems with their drivers. I've personally ran into many issues with it and my brother also has major problems with them. It is truly debilitating. You can read more about it here: Daniel_K, Who Fixed Creative’s Broken Vista Drivers, Speaks Out | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

How much better will todays products sound compared to my audigy 2 ZS? It seems many people reallu enjoy that card.

Audigy 2 is considered by many to be one of the worst of Creative's audio chips.

May 1, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromantic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to butt in with a question of my own, but can the Audiotrak HD2 RCA outputs be connected directly to a power amp (Dayton APA-150)?

Yes! The HD2 output is a little bit strong, like most DACs and CD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back