Audigy 2ZS outputting a loud popping sound with heavy CPU use?
Aug 5, 2008 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sonicm

100+ Head-Fier
Hello again, Head-fi

I've been having a problem with my Audigy 2ZS for a long time now. Whenever my CPU begins to do something resource-intensive I can hear the CPU whirring but everything is fine with my Audigy, but when the CPU slows down and the whirring along with it, my Audigy outputs a really loud popping sound.
Every time, without fail, that loud popping sound is outputted when my CPU begins to slow down, and I'm not so sure why.
My guess is that it has something to do with electrical interference, like a stray electrical charge from another part of the computer somehow gets 'pushed' into the speaker port and then into my headphones by accident. I'm not very good with the physical aspect of electronics, so I'm not so sure if that's actually possible, but that's what the popping sound sounds like it would be. And if so, in addition to it being very annoying, it seems like it'd be damaging to my headphones.

To sum it all up my question is; What is the popping sound being caused by, and how do you think I could fix it?
Any help would be appreciated, even if it is just speculation.

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Just so you know, you can't hear your CPU "whirring"... ever. What you are hearing is your hard drive and or CPU fan. I think it is possible that there is some sort of EM interaction. I had a laptop once that did all sorts of messed up stuff like that once I got it back from Best Buy messing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back