Audigy 2 ZS vs. HeadRoom Micro DAC vs. (Put in your favorite)
Aug 25, 2005 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

chrisfromalbany

Headphoneus Supremus
OK so now that the headphone category is done for me for awhile at least. And I looking at getting a Earmax Pro, boy do I have good taste.. lol..

The source is becoming the weakness. And we all know what that means.. Chris needs spend MONEY.. So anyways.. I would like to bring my "computer as a source" up to snuff. I am not sure what to upgrade to. Micro DAC is option over the current SoundBlaster "Audigy 2 ZS". (Gods know how everyone here LOVES Soundblaster).
evil_smiley.gif

So anyways what I want to know is. What is the upgrade in sound quality coming form the lineout of the Audigy 2 ZS. Is the USB to Micro DAC that much better. And how much better would a top of the line USB DAC compared to Micro DAC.

So in this corner we have Headroom vs. poope SoundBlaster

Audigy 2 ZS -> Headroom Micro DAC

vs.

Headroom (bottom of the line) vs. Players choice (something completely out of chris's price range)

Headroom Micro DAC -> (your DAC of choice)

So where is the bigger difference?
Is there a middle of the road one in price?

Thanks
and keep on rocking in the free world.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 3
Onkyo SE-90 Sound Card is another option. I am guessing this is an upgrade from the soundblaster or using new sound blaster card for that matter. I read that is isn't true digital quality.

Aug 25, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #3 of 3
The Earmax looks like a terrific amp but did you think about getting a amp/DAC combo instead?

For example the Apogee MiniDAC gets great reviews and you wouldn't need an amp.

Another option is the Jasmine T200 USB tube amp that I own. It is a tube amplifier with a USB DAC inside. For me it works pretty well, great sound quality but I never compared it side by side with a high end amp like the Earmax or a high end DAC like the Apogee. If you have money for both a high end DAC and high end amp then I'm sure you will do better than my Jasmine T200 but if not it might be a valid option to look at.

Have fun shopping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
OK so now that the headphone category is done for me for awhile at least. And I looking at getting a Earmax Pro, boy do I have good taste.. lol..

The source is becoming the weakness. And we all know what that means.. Chris needs spend MONEY.. So anyways.. I would like to bring my "computer as a source" up to snuff. I am not sure what to upgrade to. Micro DAC is option over the current SoundBlaster "Audigy 2 ZS". (Gods know how everyone here LOVES Soundblaster).
evil_smiley.gif

So anyways what I want to know is. What is the upgrade in sound quality coming form the lineout of the Audigy 2 ZS. Is the USB to Micro DAC that much better. And how much better would a top of the line USB DAC compared to Micro DAC.

So in this corner we have Headroom vs. poope SoundBlaster

Audigy 2 ZS -> Headroom Micro DAC

vs.

Headroom (bottom of the line) vs. Players choice (something completely out of chris's price range)

Headroom Micro DAC -> (your DAC of choice)

So where is the bigger difference?
Is there a middle of the road one in price?

Thanks
and keep on rocking in the free world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back