Audigy 2 ZS hissing issue...
Sep 9, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JungleMan

Head-Fier
Running the following: Audigy 2 ZS with kX drivers -> Monster THX cable -> DarkVoice 332 w/Mullard M8100 and Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V -> AKG K701.

Problem is that the A2 is hissing... if I crank the volume beyond 40% on the amp, I hear it. Isn't affected at all by the volume on the computer.

Tried swapping slots, tried taking out the Wi-Fi dongle I recently added, tried hooking up another source (Apple iPhone, as well as the onboard sound on the computer itself) and the hissing goes away. It's also worth noting that when I start the computer I can faintly hear the hard drive whirring through the headphones, but can't hear mouse clicks and other interference along those lines.

Seems like some kind of interference issue. Any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Does this happen with stock drivers?

Try muting all the inputs... sometimes if they are enabled and left floating they can hiss or add interference to the mix.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Just tried that and also switched to stock drivers... same issue.

AGH, thank you for reminding me of how much I HATE stock drivers on this card :p haha... just made it back to the kX...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 6
...I don't know what to tell you. The hissing is inherent to the 2ZS, it's not a very high quality source. I had a 2ZS Platinum Pro that hissed like crazy. The solution for me was to get rid of it and move on.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 6
Was hoping that wouldn't be the answer, but I guess I've got to face the fact that it is.
frown.gif

Any suggestions for a budget-minded consumer that uses his card for about 90% music and 10% movies (but no surround sound gizmos necessary)? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back