Audigy 2 w/ Headphones
May 9, 2003 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

nifu

New Head-Fier
Hi! I was kind of active in this forum about a year ago because I wanted advice on what kind of headphones to buy. After awhile of getting SO much info from you guys, I decided to get the Sony MDR-V6's and the Koss KSC-35's. I EXTREMELY enjoy both of these headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now, a year later, I am back with a dilemma. The other day I tried to use Ventrilo a voice chat program and it didn't work on my Sound Blaster PCI 16 card! (Yes, that's right, SBPCI 16) Anyways, I have decided to get a new sound card. I have thought of getting an Audigy 2 for $115 CDN as everyone I've talked to says it's the BEST. However, I ONLY use headphones (mainly the KOSS), and I was wondering if the Audigy 2 would be worth getting if I'm just using Headphones and NOT Surround Sound speakers ever. I don't believe I am a big audiophile at all, but I like good sound
smily_headphones1.gif
. Right now I am pleased with my SB PCI 16 sound output, but I'm wondering if I can be in even greater (a lot greater) pleasure with an Audigy 2. Thank you for your time in reading this
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes, audigy 2 will sound alot better, you could consider other cards such as the m-audio revolution, or turtle beach santa cruz, all those cards will be great for you.

May 11, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 4
Audigy 2: decent sound quality, good for gaming

M-Audio Revolution: great sound quality, not as good for gaming

However, both of these cards should be faster than your Soundblaster 16 for gaming.

-dd3mon

May 11, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Since Creative's drivers have a tendancy to be buggy & troublesome, plus the sound quality is not as great as advertised, I'd say go with the M-Audio Revolution card. True 24-bit output, instead of just a 24-bit internal processor but only 16-bit output in the Audigy. Plus Creative cards hardware-resample all 44.1KHz-sampled audio to 48KHz, with not exactly the greatest accuracy.

http://www.midiman.net/products/cons...tion_page1.php

EDIT: Actually, I'm wrong, it's the *first* Audigy that didn't have real 24bit output.
And, as mentioned above, the Audigy 2 is faster for games than the Revolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back