Audigy 2 Value upgrade 2 X-Fi ExtremeMusic
Apr 10, 2006 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mahatef

New Head-Fier
i recently bought the Audigy value 2 sound card (with a set of SR-60 i already had+original CDs) and i didn't like it's sound quality =/.
i have the option 2 add the money and replace it from the store 2 an X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card. will i hear the difference?
soon i'm buying the ATH-900 btw, so if i didn't liked the sound quality of the audigy 2 value on the SR-60, i will hate it on the ATH-900A! that's why i want to upgrade.
i can order other sound card btw, if u recommend one.

use is only for metal music.

Apr 10, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Probably depends on what about the Audigy 2 sound is bothering you. The X-Fi's electronics are basically the same so that won't really get helped, though I believe the X-Fi may have a better headphone amp on the front channel, but I'm not sure.

Regardless, mess with your Audigy first. If you have it set to headphone mode, set it to 2 speaker mode instead. I find the Audigy's headphone virtulization poor (though I like the X-Fis). Also try enabling and disabling CMMS and see which way you like it. 2 speaker and CMMS disabled is the least modified, teh closest to what you'd get from a CD. See if you like it better like that.

If you can't find any setting you like, chances are the electronics on the Crative cards just aren't up to what makes you happy. In that case, I'd look at a more professional solution.

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahatef
i recently bought the Audigy value 2 sound card (with a set of SR-60 i already had+original CDs) and i didn't like it's sound quality =/.
i have the option 2 add the money and replace it from the store 2 an X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card. will i hear the difference?
soon i'm buying the ATH-900 btw, so if i didn't liked the sound quality of the audigy 2 value on the SR-60, i will hate it on the ATH-900A! that's why i want to upgrade.

X-Fi is extremely much better! Although I would suggest to buy the Platinum Version, it gives you a decent integrated Headphone Amp.

He has an audigy 2 VALUE! That's utter crap!

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahatef

X-Fi is extremely much better! Although I would suggest to buy the Platinum Version, it gives you a decent integrated Headphone Amp.

He has an audigy 2 VALUE! That's utter crap!

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 5
I dont agree with the previous poster.Sure the Xtreme music might be slightly better due to better implementation of power supply filtering but it has the same DAC and opamps.

My suggestion : Go for something else if you arent a gamer.If you dont want to spend money,resample all of your Audigys sound to 48Khz using Foobar/Winamps SSRC and ffdshow for other windows audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back