Audigy 2 software resampling.
Jun 8, 2005 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

das_bill

100+ Head-Fier
I have been playing with some resampling plugins for winamp and the included one for foobar and WOW. I just did a side by side comparison and you are right about the Audigy 2 resampling issues. By doing the resampling in software to 48000 or 96000 it uses a lot of CPU but it is worth it. I can hear a difference immediatly. It is cleaner in software resampling. Anyone who hasn't tried this with there audigy 2 it makes a big difference.

Jun 8, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Psst...

Secret Rabbit Code SRC for Foobar @ 88.2kHz (from 44.1kHz/CD audio source) on Audigy gear. Try 'sinc best' if you can tolerate the CPU hit.

Why? The dsp on the Audigy is 48 khz anyway. And I don't think it even supports 88.2 khz.

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Why? The dsp on the Audigy is 48 khz anyway. And I don't think it even supports 88.2 khz.

His card is Audigy 2. Native support (non-resampled) for 88.2kHz sample rate, which also happens to be an integer multiple of 44.1kHz.

That's why
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 13
I thought Audigys couldn't output anything other than 48KHz and its multiples due to missing clock crystal.

Jun 8, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 13
It doesn't, the IMD resulting from the poor resampling is easily measurable at 88.2 kS/s. It is less audible, though, since more of the artifacts occur at >20 kHz compared to when playing back 44.1 kS/s audio.

So, if you "hear" any improvement resampling to 88.2 kHz instead of 48/96/192 kS/s you have either:

a) Fallen vicitim to Mr Placebo, or
b) You like distorsion

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Cosmo is right, only 48 and it's multiples are supported. I stand corrected.

Still, try the SRC in question (you can also use it in 48kHz or 96kHz modes).

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 13
So whats the deal with audigy 2's resampler, i've heard loads about it but most of it's gone over my head. I've tried listening to music resampled at 96khz in foobar and i can't even tell the difference which is a bit worrying, i've got pretty sensitive hearing and i'd say i am hardly affected by placebo effect, if i can't hear a difference then i won't normally use it.

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Try hardware accelerated DirectSound or Kernel Streaming in tandem with resampling to 96 kHz.

i use kernel streaming in foobar and i think it's the ssrc sampler to resample to 96khz, i would assume that was resampling in software so how do i get it resampled by the hardware?

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #12 of 13
I meant Hardware Mixed DirectSound, nothing to do with SSRC. If you use DirectSound with the Audigy2 you must use hardware mixing, otherwise everything will be resampled to 48 kHz by the driver.

Since you already use Kernel Streaming you can disregard the above.

As for audible differencen in sound quality with or without SSRC; the problem with the A2 hardware resampling is that while it sounds quite ok most of the time, the problem cases are nasty. Try goggling for a file called udial.wav and see if you can hear a difference...

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
I meant Hardware Mixed DirectSound, nothing to do with SSRC. If you use DirectSound with the Audigy2 you must use hardware mixing, otherwise everything will be resampled to 48 kHz by the driver.

Since you already use Kernel Streaming you can disregard the above.

As for audible differencen in sound quality with or without SSRC; the problem with the A2 hardware resampling is that while it sounds quite ok most of the time, the problem cases are nasty. Try goggling for a file called udial.wav and see if you can hear a difference...

I just downloaded the udial.wav and tested it with and without resampling and i can hear that wee-wooing sound is gone through resampling to 96khz, but what does that mean to me as far as music quality goes?

Seeing as i can hear the difference on udial, does that mean the card is resampling, just that i can't hear any difference (on normal music).?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back