Audigy 2 and digital out
Nov 25, 2005 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xavierx

New Head-Fier
OMG this is driving me insane...the digital out or SPDIF on the audigy 2 zs NOT platinum just the regular internal pci soundcard...is it a digital coax out 35mm minijack or is it digital optical out 35mm coax...and how does one like me find out? i been tryign to search specs everywhere but it just says SPDIF digital out so i dont know which to get optical or coax ...I"M LOSTTT

i basically just need to find a place where i can get a optical or coax to minijack not just an analogue adapter.

Nov 26, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xavierx
OMG this is driving me insane...the digital out or SPDIF on the audigy 2 zs NOT platinum just the regular internal pci soundcard...is it a digital coax out 35mm minijack or is it digital optical out 35mm coax...and how does one like me find out? i been tryign to search specs everywhere but it just says SPDIF digital out so i dont know which to get optical or coax ...I"M LOSTTT

i basically just need to find a place where i can get a optical or coax to minijack not just an analogue adapter.

Coax

Nov 26, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 4
Anytime you see metal it is coax. Digital coax uses the same type of wire as analog, but it sends a digital signal instead of an analog signal over the wire. This allows for multiple channels, and zero attenuation to be obtained. The adapter you get can be a simple mono mini-headphone to RCA adapter. You can get 1 that says it's for digital coax, but you can also just get an analog one that is of higher quality. They will work the same.

Optical SPDIF runs on fiber-optic cable (glass). It's connector is completely different, and contains no metal. The only way to use this in your application is to get a relatively expensive adapter that will convert the electrical coax signal into a light-pulse fiber optic signal with no performance gain. Digital is digital wheather it is electrical or optical. Optical can run farther before errors start happening, but in a home-theater that is pretty hard to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back