Audible difference between 320kbps and flac?
Mar 28, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 9
Telling the difference between high bitrate lossy and lossless is like dunking a basketball from a dead stop. I believe it can be done. I believe there are those that can do it. I won't believe any claim of being able to do so without proof, as the number who can is very rare, and the conditions around which it can be done very specific and non-typical. Luckily it's easier to install Foobar than put on a pair of nice sneakers and find a basketball court, at least in my neighborhood.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Mostly depends on your ears and brain, and then the headphones.

Mar 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 9
In very, very rare cases, in specific passages, I can tell. That's about it, though. It really doesn't matter to me.

Apr 6, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 9
I always thought it was very very very difficult and always suspected placebo when I said that I could tell a flac from a 320. Then a few weeks ago I decided to ABX myself on a favourite section of mine of Schubert's Death and the Maiden, and I got 5/5. Although, this was with flac and 192. I was surprised because sometimes I had no clear distinction so I went with my gut feeling and other times I felt I could hear it almost immediately. 

Will have to make more extensive testing though.
It would be fun if we could perhaps share the tracks we use for testing to get some comparable results and a discussion based on the same material. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back