Audeze's The King Headphone Amp on Indiegogo for 30 Days
Oct 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #16 of 88
I thought this was insanity until I read Bascom King
L3000.gif

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 88
I think the crowd funding in this case is mostly a marketing move.  Audeze is pushing out into more and varied products at a brisk pace.  I am surprised that only 14 amps have been taken.  A 25%+ discount is a pretty decent marker to entice with even if the trade off is not being able to hear it first.  I would be worried about a $4k price point if I didn't see more sales @ 25% off.  Bascom King's reputation is the driver on this deal.  I wish it had balanced output too maybe if this the launch goes will there will be a balance option in the future.  I am willing to try it up against Cavalli amps I own because I love their headphones so much.  I wish we could get a little kickback on the LCD4. for owning 3 or more Audeze products..............

PS - What kind of wood are the rings on the LCD4 made from????

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #19 of 88
"This is your opportunity to own the best headphone amp available"  Bold words. Especially for an amp not released and plenty of competition around.  Love Audeze headphones but I am surprised they are introducing an amp like this. I would have expected them to take years developing something on and of their own with a peek here and there.  Then boom............here it is.  Crowd funding for a total class operation like Audeze in my opinion is out of character.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #20 of 88
  I think the crowd funding in this case is mostly a marketing move.  Audeze is pushing out into more and varied products at a brisk pace.  I am surprised that only 14 amps have been taken.  A 25%+ discount is a pretty decent marker to entice with even if the trade off is not being able to hear it first.  I would be worried about a $4k price point if I didn't see more sales @ 25% off.  Bascom King's reputation is the driver on this deal.  I wish it had balanced output too maybe if this the launch goes will there will be a balance option in the future.  I am willing to try it up against Cavalli amps I own because I love their headphones so much.  I wish we could get a little kickback on the LCD4. for owning 3 or more Audeze products..............

PS - What kind of wood are the rings on the LCD4 made from????

+1 on that multiple Audeze discount idea, though I am not unhappy getting a 30+% discount on the amp.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 88
Nobody is stopping you from "contributing".

Yeah I can and did.  It's a good think they are NOT STOPPING ME from "contributing'".  I am one of the 10 King pre-orders @$2750, 1 or the additional contributors, owner of LCD-2, owner of LCD-3, and almost certainly a future owner of the LCD-4 . Nobody is stopping you from "contributing" either Kapanak...............

My interest in the sales during this pre-launch campaign is to gauge the success of the product launch.  Ultimately, Audeze gets to decide what is successful not me.  I hope it is wildly successful because I like their products and I believe as they branch out into other areas (like amp production) it can only aid with the development of their core products.

****  I am not affiliated with Audeze in any way.  I am just a consumer that loves their products and hope they continue with great success.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #25 of 88
  Still only 15 Kings sold.............   That number should be higher

I'm sure this is a nice sounding amp but it is WAY overpriced IMHO.  
I saw an interview with Bascom King in which he speaks glowingly of the Pathos Aurium amp as one of the best sounding headphone amps out there, but the Aurium is "only" $1495.  
Arnie Nudell (Infinity) is a fan of the Aurium as well.
Seems like pricing of less than $2000 ($1995?) would be more appropriate.
Unlike the Deckard, I assume that The King is made in the U.S.A. at least???

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #26 of 88
  Seems like, given balanced circuits are useful for cancelling interference, unless your headphone cable is routed across a bunch of other active cables or components, balanced connection are not so necessary. Nobody seems too worried about connecting regular speakers via balanced connection.

Correct,
but at least each speaker channel has it's own neg. connection i.e. separate L(-) and R(-).
With a single ended TRS plug (tip / ring / sleeve) you have a common return (-) for both channels.
So I take it that any $4k headphone amp is trying to push the limits of performance, not only in price.
Every design aspect should max. out the best possibilities, shouldn't it?

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #27 of 88
Ordered amp after researching Bascom King.
Kind of a leap of faith.
At least there is 30 day return option.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #29 of 88
Darn, I wished they offered a discount on the LCD-4. I would buy it as a package. I do like that they accept returns. Will they charge a re-stocking fee?

+1 on a combo discount. Would have been nice. I took the deeper discount on the early bird and then ordered the LCD-4. I realize that the 4 may not likely be orders of magnitude better than the 2, but worth a listen. Not sure if there is a restocking fee on a return for the 30-day trial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back