Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
Oct 10, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #256 of 330
I'd really like to hear about how the 2016 LCD-2 and LCD-3 compare. I previously owned each model before the fazor came in. Now, I'm potentially considering an Audeze for a fun headphone to contrast the HD 800.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #257 of 330
  I'd really like to hear about how the 2016 LCD-2 and LCD-3 compare. I previously owned each model before the fazor came in. Now, I'm potentially considering an Audeze for a fun headphone to contrast the HD 800.

If you want stronger bass, go for the LCD2.  The LCD3 is better in every other area, though from bass nuance, the midrange, and treble detail.

The LCD2s sound harsher in comparison, not able to keep up with everything as well.  I'm speaking for 2016 versions

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #258 of 330

If you want stronger bass, go for the LCD2.  The LCD3 is better in every other area, though from bass nuance, the midrange, and treble detail.

The LCD2s sound harsher in comparison, not able to keep up with everything as well.  I'm speaking for 2016 versions

Thanks for the feedback. With the old versions, I did find the LCD-3 to be the better headphone in most aspects (like the ones you described) but somehow the LCD-2 had gotten the bass more right to my liking, especially in mid bass. The LCD-2 had the punch like the HD 800.

Oct 22, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #259 of 330
Dear Head-Fiers,

I've been journeying though the mid- and upper range price classes for a few weeks, looking for a closed - ideally planar magnetic - headphone that can especially do well with Indian classical music (e.g. meaning lots of overtones ~ bunches of details at all frequency rates ~ intimate & lively, strong settings ~ a voice-centred larger concept ~ lots of feeling and empathy required).

I haven't been to a place to hear MrSpeakers Ether C yet, and so I've naturally gravitated towards the LCD-XC. Then, however, I got aware of the 2016 revamp and found that I've listened to an older pair. I've seen the frequency graphs comparing the 2016 and pre-2016 XC in #114 of this thread, and I can deduce that the new XC sounds more balanced - maybe indeed more like the LCD-X as per Audeze's announcement  -, but I would love to hear how people who know both versions have actually perceived these differences.

In case of the EL-8C, I got to hear both a 2015 and 2016 model the same day, and like it's been said here they're hardly the same headphone: the former sounding more like a scaffolding and the latter like a decent, finished mansion. What especially surprised me is how well the 2016 EL-8C was able to convey voices and choruses, with an airy but vast, precise sense of their movement and also emotion, while the older LCD-XC was not quite able to match the EL-8C there. First I thought that was due to using a DMP with less output (the Cowon J3), but the impression just reiterated on a higher level with an Astell&Kern AK300. Of course, the LCD-XC still outperforms the newer EL-8C in most other areas, but with this detail I was left wondering what the 2016 overhaul has possibly advanced of the old XC, which already seemed about 90% right for what I am searching. Is there anyone who can tell?

Oct 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #260 of 330

I finally got my LCD 2.2 back from driver replacement - and they came back as 2F 2016s. They're a lot closer to the LCD 3F 2016 tuning - as in they've lost their typically dark nature and deep planar bass for a more balanced presentation, which means more treble and more clarity. The LCD 2F 2016 I find is more resolving of fine details whereas the 2.2 tended to muddle those up. Totally different beasts.

The LCD 2F 2016 vs LCD 3F 2016 match-up is a contrast in levels of refinement. While both now produce a similar balanced sound, as opposed to the historically dark Audeze sound, the 3F 2016 has more clarity, better separation of instruments and better imaging. 

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #261 of 330
Just want to hop in here and say, the LCD-2 2016 is great!

The bass is superbly defined, plus lovely audeze mids, and a clear, crisp high end. Lots of detail retrieval, without the fatigue and sharpness that plagues many a headphone.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #263 of 330
I just recently received my LCD3 back from Audeze - they were out for repair due to a driver failure. My original pair was purchased in Feb 2016 with a build date of Nov 2015. The left transducer failed about 6 months later.

I just got them back last week "upgraded" with the latest and greatest driver pair. Audeze was kind enough to provide the FR charts for my before and after - and they do indeed measure a bit different.

Giving them a few listens, they definitely sound different and I am undecided if I like the new sound more. I would post the charts, but I am not allowed to because my account is too new!

Cheers.

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #264 of 330

I have had a few pairs of LCD-3s over the years, and to me, all sound 95% the same as my LCD-2.2 (and I attribute the difference to earpads). I don't have golden ears, I guess.

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #266 of 330
The left driver on my LCD-3F died this week. They are a Feb 2014 model - one of the last ones with a 261XXXX serial number and one of the first Fazored LCD-3.
After discussing it with Audeze, I gave them to my local dealer to repair. He swapped the drivers himself with a matched pair Audeze have supplied him for these cases, and I received them back yesterday, 2 days after I gave them away.

I immediately noticed a few differences:

1. I need to turn the volume knob a notch higher to reach the same volume level as before.
2. The sound is significantly (noticeably) better. There's more air, revealing more ambiance and spatial cues. They sound more "alive" - faster and with better imaging. Vocals have more presence due to the increased treble energy. They sound a tiny bit clearer.
3. The seal creates a little bit more vacuum, to the point of when I move them around I can hear the diaphragm moving inside, which is a little worrying. I know the current LCDs have a vent installed in them to prevent this, and mine just had the drivers replaced.

All of this is with 0 break in time. I actually remember that when they were new they needed some opening up, and the new replacement drivers already sound amazing out of the box.
Overall very happy 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #267 of 330
I have the latest lcd2 and I have to agree with your observations on the treble. There is nice air and detail with the newest version.

I also agree with your description of the "aliveness" of the sound. There is something very special about them, there is just such a clearity from top to bottom in the sound, and with the improved treble and imaging, everything just comes alive with these. I don't know another way to describe it, other then that I really feel a closer connection with the music through these than other headphones.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #268 of 330
Purchased EL-8 Open and Closed and Sines to sample and compare. 2016 revamps for the EL-8 and the production date of the Sines also in 2016. Also PM-1s.

No contest at all. EL-8 O by 1000 miles. I was simply stunned by how different the open and closed sounded on EL-8. Like 2 completely different spec'd phones. I had to double back quite a few times. Quite frankly, at retail, Sines are probably better value than EL-8 Closed....they're that close in sound and both equally far from the opens.

I haven't even ventured to test out on DAP or with balanced yet because the contest is already over. But EL-8 Open is close to best headphones I've listened to. Excellent detail and balanced eq. Soundstage is awesome....you feel like you're in the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back