Audeze's 2016 revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered headphones, the entire line (except Sine and EL8 Ti; these have updates as standard)
May 10, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #167 of 330
I wonder if the weight of the LCD series will be reduced by this change in technology. I found the below on Audeze's Web site:

"FLUXOR™ MAGNETIC TECHNOLOGY
With our new, patent-pending Fluxor magnetic technology introduced in the EL-8, Audeze delivers nearly double the magnetic flux density of the highest-grade neodymium magnetic circuits available. This remarkable achievement results in reduced weight with greater efficiency to work with mobile devices."

According to their web site, the LCD-3 still uses the Neodymium magnet, so it does not look like the weight was reduced with the new technology. I do remember someone mentioning their headphones felt lighter after new drivers, but I could be mistaken.

Both @Articnoise and I notice that the 2016 LCD 3 is lighter than the LCD 3F. I'm not sure what to make of it but Audeze definitely don't publicise everything they do to improve their headphone lines. 

I must say that the new LCD 3 from 2016 sounds sublime. I have now had it for almost a month and to me the sound it delivers is a true upgrade to all the earlier LCD3 I have had and heard. The only negative aspect I have found is the high treble and only together with some gear. If you discover that the high treble is a bit too much, at least I have got excellent result by just changing the ear pads from the stock leather pads to the vegans. The vegan pads tones down the treble a bit.   

To me the new LCD 3 sounds notable clearer and cleaner, more resolving, airier and has better instrument separation, is a bit faster and has a nice improved bass with less fussy bass. And yes it still has the deep, full and rich tonality that got me to buy the Audeze LCD3, but now combined with superior technical performance.

Is it the fastest, clearest etc etc headphone I have heard? No, it’s not it’s still an LCD3 and sound like one, just better in my opinion.

Well done Audeze!

I concur. The 2016s are miles beyond the original LCD 3 and still a distinct upgrade over the LCD 3F. As for the mids and treble, I would call it adding the detail and clarity of the Hifiman HE1000/Edition X to the Audeze house sound. Most noticeable also for me is the solid imaging and instrument separation. 

If Audeze continues with improvements like these, I would happily consider paying to get my drivers upgraded to the next revision, if they get any better.

That said, they are fantastic as they are - I'm at the same time glad, because of the SQ improvements, and regretful that I missed out on the LCD 3 sound having only gotten them now, years after first discovering them.

How does the bass impact and quantity compare to the older models?

The 2016 LCD 3 is not lacking in bass and has slightly more than the older 3F. But the LCD 3s have always had a more balanced bass signature compared to the LCD 2 and X.

May 10, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #168 of 330

How does the bass impact and quantity compare to the older models?

The impact and bass quantity is as good as ever, probably slightly improved to the 2014 version (271) and more like the 2013 (261). I have never been one of them that thought that the LCD 3 with fazors lost more than a little bit of bass, and that loss was only in the deepest sub bass. Hard to say actually which version that has more or less as the newer with fazor are also less bloomy and at the same time have more treble. Different tonal balance for sure. With that said I do believe that the 2016 has a bit more down at the bottom and more important to me the quality of the bass has really improved. The bass simply sounds clearer, meaning easier to follow bass notes.    

This is a LCD3, so not one of this anorectic sounding headphones that is so popular nowadays 
wink.gif

May 10, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #169 of 330
Just got a pair of 2016 EL-8s after exchanging my old pair and I have to say the newest version is everything I always wanted the EL-8 to be. It's no longer a cheese grater for your eardrums that's for sure. In essence they now remind me of a bigger Sine headphone but with even better mids and soundstage

May 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #170 of 330
Just got a pair of 2016 EL-8s after exchanging my old pair and I have to say the newest version is everything I always wanted the EL-8 to be. It's no longer a cheese grater for your eardrums that's for sure. In essence they now remind me of a bigger Sine headphone but with even better mids and soundstage

That's awesome! Congrats on your purchase, I will be joining you with my purchase hopefully soon.

Did you get the Cipher cable with it? Did you get the open or closed version?

May 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #171 of 330
That's awesome! Congrats on your purchase, I will be joining you with my purchase hopefully soon.

I have the EL-8 Open with an aftermarket cable from PlusSound

May 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #172 of 330

Weren't people's issues with the EL-8 the fact that it had a treble scoop, and not the fact that it was harsh?

May 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #173 of 330

Awesome F1REStarter!
Though the discontinued 2015 EL-8 (open) was better than the also discontinued 2015 EL-8 CB, both had horrible mid and treble frequencies.

Like you, hearing the 2016 EL-8 series is such a spectacular difference, it's actually hard to describe to others.
My EL-8 Titanium (same as new 2016 EL-8 CB internally) is so clear and grain free...I don't think any headphone can compete against the 2016 EL-8 series at this price point.
On soundstage, your 2016 EL-8 will beat my EL-8 Ti (or 2016 EL-8 CB), but otherwise both are super similar. That's what should have been true for the defunct 2015 models.

In my opinion, the 2016 EL-8 series are new headphones sonically.

Dillan, you will not regret the updated, re-voiced 2016 EL-8 at all!

Enjoy and post your impressions too!

I have the EL-8 Open with an aftermarket cable from PlusSound

I use Double Helix Cables Molecule Elite Fusion 4-Wire balanced cable for my EL-8 Titanium and Onkyo DP-X1 DAP.

Pic's of your cable and headphones please?

Weren't people's issues with the EL-8 the fact that it had a treble scoop, and not the fact that it was harsh?

Yes, for the 2015 EL-8 series.
Harsh sounding may not be the best term, I'd go for fatiguing.
The mids and and treble were both wonky. This may lead to a harsh sound, but everyone has different ears and interpretations.
Consensus is the that 2015 versions were faulty sonically.

2016 versions? Imo a complete change.
I get why some say it's a nice upgrade, but I sincerely believe that is a major understatement.

I now understand what Audeze was aiming for with the EL-8 series. They nailed it, on the 2016 version.

May 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #175 of 330
May 11, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #180 of 330
haven't read much about reliability issues regarding LCD X in all its guises... I wonder if it's because less ppl own them or more reliable.

I actually bought one that was originally purchased back in 2014.  The right driver was dead on arrival.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back