Audeze Sine cipher cable with pc/mac
Sep 6, 2016 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sup27606

500+ Head-Fier
Can the DAC/AMP in the cipher cable be used with a pc or mac via the USB interface? I want the eq settings to work that way. If it does not, that seems to be a wastage of a high end DAC/AMP to be tied to a mobile device only. All other DACs work in both iphone/ipad and computers using USB and lightening interchangeably. Please let me know if anyone knows. Thanks.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 3
Hello, I recently bought the Audeze Sine with the Cipher cable. My research has led me to say that you cannot connect the Cipher cable to a computer. It is for the iOS devices only. I compared the sound from my laptop headphone jack to the Cipher cable with the iPhone, and I prefer the cipher cable for sure. However, the Cipher cable is no substitute for a proper dac/amp I think. I do not think the Cipher cable can be called 'high end'. It's a nice piece for what it is, it makes the headphones sound better for sure, but it is not amazingly impressive. At $50 for a specialty device that includes a cable, a dac, an amp, a microphone, and controls, I am surprised that they could get it made for that low price.

For one thing, Audeze says that the ideal power range for the Sine is 500mw to 1w. An email to Audeze told me that the Cipher cable only provides 32mw! This is partly (or fully?) due to made for iPhone restrictions. I love these headphones so far, but my next move is to choose a dac/amp that I can use at my desk and I am looking for a portable one that I can also take with me, when I want better sound on the go. I do not regret purchasing the Cipher cable. I will keep it, and when I need an in-line mic, or when I just need a super portable option, I will grab it and go. However I feel an amp with a fair amount of power and a better dac will be very beneficial to get the most from these headphones.

I just ordered the Chord Mojo, Oppo HA2SE, and CEntrance DACportable. I will be doing a big test on them all, and keeping the best one for me. Sound quality will be the most important parameter, but I will also judge convenience, and other factors as well. Stay tuned for my 1st ever audio gear review! The amps arrive next week... excitement!

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 3
I think the Cayin C5 and mojo pair very well with Sine. I have the C5 and love it! It improves the soundstage and imaging over the cipher cable, while adding more micro details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back