Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Sep 25, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #4,036 of 4,477
Could I connect Audeze Maxwell PS version on a TV with the USB dongle?

I would guess that most TVs do not support audio output from the USB port, but you'd really need to check your specific model to confirm that either way

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #4,037 of 4,477
Good day everyone. May I ask if while i am wearing my headset and i didnt push the earcup towards me, suddenly and randomly for no reason i hear a loud POP sound (it is very loud) on my left ear , is it normal? Since the day i got the unit , which is from 15th of september , there are 4 episodes of these loud POP sound suddenly and for no reason.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4,038 of 4,477
Good day everyone. May I ask if while i am wearing my headset and i didnt push the earcup towards me, suddenly and randomly for no reason i hear a loud POP sound (it is very loud) on my left ear , is it normal? Since the day i got the unit , which is from 15th of september , there are 4 episodes of these loud POP sound suddenly and for no reason.
There's no reason something like that would be 'normal'.

Now the things you need to check is whether this is related to what you're connected to, the connection type, a settings issue, etc.

So at the very least:

- Make sure you're on v51 for both the dongle and the headset
- Test all connection types:

1. USB dongle with and without the included usb A adapter on separate usb ports (it can be a bad usb port or device you're connected to)
2. USB wired audio mode
4. Bluetooth mode
5. Test a separate system or computer for this issue to ensure that the issue is not happening on all systems. You need to test this, as if you're only testing one device, that may very well be the cause, so it is important to test the Maxwell with other devices for this problem.

Please contact support@audeze.com for assistance.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #4,039 of 4,477
It's not just that. No matter how amazing drivers and matching can be, nothing is going to beat a virtual surround HTRF that is custom tuned to match your own ears. We can look into this in the future, but in general, most headsets use a generalized HTRF for virtual surround applications.

You can take a $5 garbage iem, apply a good HTRF virtual surround DSP, and it'll be better than any headphone in existence that is stuck in plain stereo in terms of providing an immediate accurately placed audio cue. Nothing beats having actual localized positional cues. Raw, unprocessed stereo will never give you an audio cue that is supposed to come say... 45 degrees behind you to your right, in that spot. It'll just be some slight deviation from linear right.

Turn off all surround processing on any headphone, play some call of duty, close your eyes, and spin your character around. then have someone near you shoot in the air. Without you opening your eyes, you will not know if the sound is in front of you or behind you (with experience, sure, the sounds are different enough, but it's not the same as with proper virtual surround cues, where the difference is immediate. The sound will be as if it was actually behind you.

While we include Dolby Atmos license for Maxwell Xbox, and Sony utilizes Tempest 3D audio, there are many other surround DSPs out there that may suit your ears more.

Waves 3D
Sennheiser GSX surround
Creative SBX
Creative THX Tru Studio
Dolby Headphone
DTS Headphone X
Windows Sonic, etc, etc.
Beyer Headzone
Darrin Fong's OOYH
Ryan Redetzke's Redscape

Some are PC only, others are included in external devices, etc.

That's how you will get the best location accuracy improvement, over just throwing your money at the best headphone in existence.

I'll take anyone with a $50,000 headphone in raw stereo, with a Maxwell using Atmos, and I'm confident that I'd easily be way more able to tell where something is in a virtual space much quicker than the 50K headphone.

Why, because there's my brain doesn't have to guess if something is behind me or not, the audio is already positioning it there, as opposed to unprocessed stereo.

I can only speak to myself, but I HIGHLY disagree with people that think all you need is some uber stereo headphone and thats it. No. You need good surround audio processing as well.

In terms of Stealth Pros or anything else, it can come down to your own ears, the frequency response difference, etc.

One person will say imaging/soundstage is ok, another will say it's excellent. We all hear differently. Before writing off any headphone and throwing money at another headphone, try other surround processing apps/devices. They may have DSP more suited to your tastes.

Anyways, this is just my own two cents, my opinion, take it as that. I made that argument long before I joined Audeze too. A great headphone will obviously benefit you in other ways like clarity, and enjoyments, but in terms of positional accuracy, the meat and potatoes lies in the surround dsp performance and how well it suits your own ears. For those that say meh, I like stereo. Well good for you. I like people like you, because I can pick you off based on audio a precious few moments long before you will. :wink:
Hi,

I need some help with positional sound and footsteps in Battlefield 2042, it just does not sound good.

Based on your reviews, I’ve been happy gaming user of SoundBlasterZ + Sennheiser HD598.
Thanks a lot for all those reviews: what I ended with was an excellent setup which made me happy for quite a few years!
But I wanted a wireless pair, so when I saw you are with Audeze and how much I was happy with your previous advice/opinion: getting Maxwell was a no brainer.
And I do enjoy Maxwell in “Hell Let Loose” and for music, they are excellent (Xbox model).

But sound in BF2042 is just awful: can’t really determine where footsteps are coming from at all.
Game has a few audio options, but actually just using regular stereo sounds the best (I keep ’headphones’ in game and ‘Footsteps’ preset in HQ app).

In Windows Control Panel, device “Game-Audeze Maxwell” is a stereo device (before uninstalling SoundBlaster it was 5.1).

How is actually gaming/positional sound processed in Windows?
Example: if I select surround speakers in game, how is multi-channeled audio sent to stereo device?
Is multi-channel audio sent to Dolby Access (Atmos for headphones) and then converted to stereo? How can game know to send 5.1 or 7.1 if a device is declared as a stereo?
Based on some other gaming headsets, I was actually expecting Maxwell device (Game-Audeze Maxwell) to be registered as 5.1/7.1 device in Windows so apps know they need to send multi-channel audio, then driver or DolbyAtmos to mix it down to stereo output.

I’m on the latest firmware and software so now import of sound presets from Audeze web site is working. I’ve tried them, but thet are not an improvement (for me, at least).

Are there any recommended settings for BF2042 to hear footsteps better (what audio option to set in game, Atmos on/off, …)?

I’ve seen the post from the PixelSquish where he is back to stereo in BF2042. Maybe this iteration of Battlefield just has bad audio? Don’t have a SoundBlaster/HD598 anymore, so I can’t compare it to Maxwell.

P.S. Sorry for such a long post

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #4,040 of 4,477
Get a question. I am using Roon to play music on Maxwell through USB dongle in PC. However, it always says "Device in Use" and can't play the music. It even can't work after I close the exclusive mode in Roon. Any fix on this issue?
Try going into Windows Control Panel > Sound > Select the Maxwell and then Properties.

In the Advanced tab, uncheck the option to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device." Might as well reboot for good measure.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #4,041 of 4,477
Hi,

I need some help with positional sound and footsteps in Battlefield 2042, it just does not sound good.

Based on your reviews, I’ve been happy gaming user of SoundBlasterZ + Sennheiser HD598.
Thanks a lot for all those reviews: what I ended with was an excellent setup which made me happy for quite a few years!
But I wanted a wireless pair, so when I saw you are with Audeze and how much I was happy with your previous advice/opinion: getting Maxwell was a no brainer.
And I do enjoy Maxwell in “Hell Let Loose” and for music, they are excellent (Xbox model).

But sound in BF2042 is just awful: can’t really determine where footsteps are coming from at all.
Game has a few audio options, but actually just using regular stereo sounds the best (I keep ’headphones’ in game and ‘Footsteps’ preset in HQ app).

In Windows Control Panel, device “Game-Audeze Maxwell” is a stereo device (before uninstalling SoundBlaster it was 5.1).

How is actually gaming/positional sound processed in Windows?
Example: if I select surround speakers in game, how is multi-channeled audio sent to stereo device?
Is multi-channel audio sent to Dolby Access (Atmos for headphones) and then converted to stereo? How can game know to send 5.1 or 7.1 if a device is declared as a stereo?
Based on some other gaming headsets, I was actually expecting Maxwell device (Game-Audeze Maxwell) to be registered as 5.1/7.1 device in Windows so apps know they need to send multi-channel audio, then driver or DolbyAtmos to mix it down to stereo output.

I’m on the latest firmware and software so now import of sound presets from Audeze web site is working. I’ve tried them, but thet are not an improvement (for me, at least).

Are there any recommended settings for BF2042 to hear footsteps better (what audio option to set in game, Atmos on/off, …)?

I’ve seen the post from the PixelSquish where he is back to stereo in BF2042. Maybe this iteration of Battlefield just has bad audio? Don’t have a SoundBlaster/HD598 anymore, so I can’t compare it to Maxwell.

P.S. Sorry for such a long post

Yes I've A and B 2042 with the Maxwell with stereo and Dolby Atmos. I find stereo with an EQ to be much better for positional sounds. It's a custom EQ I made based upon some YouTube videos. It does lower some of the sub base and increases certain frequencies that are footstep related . But keep in mind I'm on the Xbox series x not a PC.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #4,042 of 4,477
Yes I've A and B 2042 with the Maxwell with stereo and Dolby Atmos. I find stereo with an EQ to be much better for positional sounds. It's a custom EQ I made based upon some YouTube videos. It does lower some of the sub base and increases certain frequencies that are footstep related . But keep in mind I'm on the Xbox series x not a PC.
Thanks for the info. No matter Xbox/PC, I would definitely like to try it out.
When you get a chance, could you maybe post EQ settings here (or in private message, if it shouldn’t be posted here - not sure about forum rules).

Sep 27, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #4,043 of 4,477
Thanks for the info. No matter Xbox/PC, I would definitely like to try it out.
When you get a chance, could you maybe post EQ settings here (or in private message, if it shouldn’t be posted here - not sure about forum rules).
This is what I use. I found a preset that someone made just for footsteps and I kind of made it a little more fun to listen to while still keeping footsteps as pretty important.

Screenshot_20230927-210209.png

Sep 29, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #4,046 of 4,477
Hasn't been too long but appears my mic switch button is busted, it doesn't really work, and when clicked on or off, it beeps continuously. When flicked to mute, it sometimes isn't even muted. Add to this, settings not saving; done factory reset, reflashed etc, or others not working requiring power on and off. And recently, loud popping on each side. Shame, love the headset, best ever, also very gentle with it, but this is all just only 5 months in.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #4,048 of 4,477
I'm getting back into Destiny 2 in anticipation of this year's Festival of the Lost Halloween event. Eagerly awaiting my Ultraviolet shipping notification (it'll match nicely with my guardians shaders). If anyone has preset settings recommended for Destiny, I'd appreciate the recommendations.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #4,049 of 4,477
Where could I find a good EQ to made a preset Audeze for music, with more basses and sub? Thanks a lot @Audeze
Did you try the EQ preset for "Bass"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back