Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Aug 31, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #3,916 of 4,477
The side tone volume is overall lower, I nornally used 60% so the white noise is kot that distracting, now I cant hear my self very well at 60% so I upped it to something like 84%.

I think they just limited the sidetone volume as a bandaid fix.
Totally agree. As I mentioned above, before I was able to hear everything in my house, now looks like you're right. Doesn't bother me thought, just set side tone to 85% :wink:

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #3,918 of 4,477
Finally got my RMA, amazing turnaround and service, thanks! However the sidetone issue persisted on my new unit, maybe it just picks interference in my apartment? I updated the firmware but I still hear the crackling, but now the sidetone volume is really low. For me I guess I'll keep on not using it, but for people that didn't mind (or didn't have the crackling) I think the low volume is going to be really annoying.
Edit: Nevermind, I was able to boost the volume, and at it's highest point it's got less noise for sure, although I still hear it.
Edit2: Sidetone noise is still extremely annoying, it's better, but just marginally.
The firmware introduced noise to my sidetone to an unacceptable level. I was using sidetone at around 67% and couldn’t head the static. Now it sounds like it’s scratching or tapping at my head.

Contacted my local distributor for a replacement now.

Really annoyed at how this has happened.

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #3,919 of 4,477
The firmware introduced noise to my sidetone to an unacceptable level. I was using sidetone at around 67% and couldn’t head the static. Now it sounds like it’s scratching or tapping at my head.

Contacted my local distributor for a replacement now.

Really annoyed at how this has happened.
Mine is also unacceptable, but it always was, and the new unit is exactly the same. So I think it's just an overall hardware defect of the Maxwell, it's just curious that some people reported it working fine for them, and people like you where it got worse with a firmware update. Unless you can get a refund a new unit is very unlikely to fix your issues, unless you are willing to stay in the previous firmware and live with the previous LDAC bug.

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #3,920 of 4,477
Mine is also unacceptable, but it always was, and the new unit is exactly the same. So I think it's just an overall hardware defect of the Maxwell, it's just curious that some people reported it working fine for them, and people like you where it got worse with a firmware update. Unless you can get a refund a new unit is very unlikely to fix your issues, unless you are willing to stay in the previous firmware and live with the previous LDAC bug.

Can we downgrade firmware?

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3,921 of 4,477
Mine was working fine and had no issues at all. I just updated thinking it was the best thing to do as it mentioned better charging algorithm etc. I never used LDAC just connected straight to my PS5 and worked a treat. Sent it back and hopefully getting a replacement that’s on older firmware and sidetone that works… it’s such a lottery though..

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #3,922 of 4,477
Yeah, just saying that there was no actual fix but they just lowered the volume, could no longer use it as super hearing if I remove the mic, lol!
I can confirm this on mine as well. I used to have side tone on 42 when I used it. I now have to have it on 75 to get the same volume. When I turn it up to 75 for it to be usable the same static and crackle is there that was there before. So I am not seeing the point. It is very strange behavior. I have had mine go from normal white noise and not hearing the crackling sound to hearing the crackle. Finally now to them just lowering the gain so I have to turn the side tone volume up and still hearing the cracking. This is definitely a hardware thing and will not be fixed. Thank you for the other fixes though.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #3,923 of 4,477
I can confirm this on mine as well. I used to have side tone on 42 when I used it. I now have to have it on 75 to get the same volume. When I turn it up to 75 for it to be usable the same static and crackle is there that was there before. So I am not seeing the point. It is very strange behavior. I have had mine go from normal white noise and not hearing the crackling sound to hearing the crackle. Finally now to them just lowering the gain so I have to turn the side tone volume up and still hearing the cracking. This is definitely a hardware thing and will not be fixed. Thank you for the other fixes though.
I described it as like a water sprinkler sound or like a shaker going off quietly in the background. Really annoying. And yes, it was just a white noise before the update.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #3,925 of 4,477
I described it as like a water sprinkler sound or like a shaker going off quietly in the background. Really annoying. And yes, it was just a white noise before the update.
Mine went from white noise to the weird static all on the last firmware so really weird. The new firmware didn't change anything for me except the volume gain of the side tone being lowered. I just wish companies would just say what it is instead of employing the rope-a-dope. It just makes them look less credible. I suppose their wording of the fix covers their butt. "Modified: Improved noise levels in some scenarios while sidetone is in use." What this means is that they lowered the gain so the cracking noise goes away at an unusable volume level. lol

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #3,927 of 4,477
Hmmm, yeah mine is the same. I thought initially sidetone was better, but now I can't really hear myself at the same level of sidetone. Raising it to max makes the white noise more audible, and I still can't hear myself as well as I could before the update.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #3,928 of 4,477
Hmmm, yeah mine is the same. I thought initially sidetone was better, but now I can't really hear myself at the same level of sidetone. Raising it to max makes the white noise more audible, and I still can't hear myself as well as I could before the update.
Yes exactly this! Sidetone has to be turned up which introduces the noise!

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,929 of 4,477
I'm kinda glad that more people have the problem now, hopefully it gives the issue more attention so they actually attempt to fix it. Of course I don't know the technical implications, but I wish they could just apply some processing like their ai noise reduction to the signal before it gets piped back, or something like that.
Also, are there third party microphones that work in the Maxwell? I'm wondering if it's a mic issue or a processing issue, since when not using the boom the noise doesn't seem to be there.

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,930 of 4,477
I'm kinda glad that more people have the problem now, hopefully it gives the issue more attention so they actually attempt to fix it. Of course I don't know the technical implications, but I wish they could just apply some processing like their ai noise reduction to the signal before it gets piped back, or something like that.
Also, are there third party microphones that work in the Maxwell? I'm wondering if it's a mic issue or a processing issue, since when not using the boom the noise doesn't seem to be there.
I think it definitely has something to do with the mic. On the latest firmware, if I turn down the sidetone on to about 30/40% (unusable) when the static noise is only slightly noticeable, the static only plays after I breathe out or move my head left or right. If I sit still and hold my breath then it’s silent. The mic must be picking up the sound of the air and playing it back as the static interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back