Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Aug 2, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #3,736 of 4,477
Soo is it just me or does these firmware/software updates take way to long to be released?
I feel like they need to upgrade that department. Its like one smallish update every 2-3 months?

Steelseries pushing 3 updates a month and they contain more fixes/features for multiple different hardware.

Not saying they need to push 3 updates a month, but like last firmware update was 15/5 and since then steelseries pushed 6 updates.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #3,737 of 4,477
Soo is it just me or does these firmware/software updates take way to long to be released?
I feel like they need to upgrade that department. Its like one smallish update every 2-3 months?

Steelseries pushing 3 updates a month and they contain more fixes/features for multiple different hardware.

Not saying they need to push 3 updates a month, but like last firmware update was 15/5 and since then steelseries pushed 6 updates.
I don’t have steelseries, but for 6 updates in 2 months my guess is either they are adding a very large set of new features, or they have more than a few bugs that needed to be fixed…

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #3,738 of 4,477

I agree with you and more when we have been waiting for an update for more than two months to correct various and known errors that should be solved via firmware.
If everything worked well, I would understand why there is no rush to implement future improvements, but that is not the case.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #3,739 of 4,477

Looking at the SteelSeries changelogs, it looks like they lump fixes for all there devices into a software suite update. Not all of their patches have anything to do with audio. Keyboard, mice, and other peripheral patches and updates dominate. Yes there are more frequent updates but most have nothing to do with headset to headset paralleled feature set between Maxwell and the Arctis headsets. This has a lot to do with Maxwell being bare bones in comparison. Audeze is not putting out EQ and lighting effect presets for certain games like the SteelSeries. Maxwell plays audio and has a mic. That's it.

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,740 of 4,477
It's important to understand that their firmware and software teams alone are probably bigger than the entirety of Audeze's workforce.

We apologize for the delays in getting an update out to you. We ARE working on Maxwell. Please allow us time to work on these things and ensure we can provide a stable firmware update.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #3,742 of 4,477
Sure but there really is no excuse for something like the LDAC bug (not working with custom EQ's) to make it into firmware and not being 'hotfixed' in 3 months.
That is fixed in the next update. But we are working on other bug fixes and improvements to include in the update.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #3,743 of 4,477
It's important to understand one major thing. Steelseries, HyperX, and these big companies, are just that: BIG.

Their firmware and software teams alone are probably bigger than the entirety of Audeze's workforce.

We ARE working on Maxwell. Please allow us time to work on these things and ensure we can provide a stable firmware update.

Well why is that important though?
They are bigger. They also have lots of more products and features (like Sonar and Moments) that is being worked on. Its not like they have a big team working on one single thing. So you cant really "blame" it on a larger workforce, because they also have a larger workload.

That's my whole point, they made sure they have the workforce to be able to still push the updates within a reasonable time. Audeze does not do that.
Software wise, Audeze barely has anything at all. So the only thing Audeze have to work on is the bug fixes. The size does not matter, what matter is that any given company should have enough people working on their products/services so that things gets done within a reasonable timeline.

Obviously we will give you the time to work on the firmware, its not like we have a choice here (other than returning the product). But that does not change the fact that we already given more than a reasonable timeframe.

This is just me saying, I've waited long enough and I'm letting you know that I'm tired of waiting and its giving me a negativ view of Audeze. My obligation as your customer is done, you can do what you want with that information.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #3,744 of 4,477
That is fixed in the next update. But we are working on other bug fixes and improvements to include in the update.
That is great, but my opinion stands. Any big regression that is introduced with a firmware should be addressed as priority as soon as possible, and improvements and other minor fixes can wait to cook for longer.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #3,745 of 4,477
Hey guys, let’s cool it with the haranguing of the Audeze team.

It is ALWAYS easier to be in the stands yelling at the team on the field than it is to be a player on the field. You may think you know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done, but unless you manage development teams and products, trust me, you don’t know (and, yes, I do manage those, so I do know what it’s like).

There is a difference between expressing disappointment and desires to the Audeze team, and lecturing the Audeze team.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #3,746 of 4,477
Hey guys, let’s cool it with the haranguing of the Audeze team.

It is ALWAYS easier to be in the stands yelling at the team on the field than it is to be a player on the field. You may think you know what needs to be done and how it needs to be done, but unless you manage development teams and products, trust me, you don’t know (and, yes, I do manage those, so I do know what it’s like).

There is a difference between expressing disappointment and desires to the Audeze team, and lecturing the Audeze team.
Hey dude, let's cool with the haranguing of Audeze's paying costumers. I don't see anything in the comments above that aren't reasonable opinions expressed in a respectful manner. No ones is lecturing anyone. Audeze can either listen to the complaints and do nothing, or take the feedback. I agree with the above sentiment. I'm happy with my Maxwell in balance, but certain aspects of ownership, like the faulty sidetone and slow firmware progress are also slanting me negatively.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #3,747 of 4,477
Well why is that important though?
They are bigger. They also have lots of more products and features (like Sonar and Moments) that is being worked on. Its not like they have a big team working on one single thing. So you cant really "blame" it on a larger workforce, because they also have a larger workload.

That's my whole point, they made sure they have the workforce to be able to still push the updates within a reasonable time. Audeze does not do that.
Software wise, Audeze barely has anything at all. So the only thing Audeze have to work on is the bug fixes. The size does not matter, what matter is that any given company should have enough people working on their products/services so that things gets done within a reasonable timeline.

Obviously we will give you the time to work on the firmware, its not like we have a choice here (other than returning the product). But that does not change the fact that we already given more than a reasonable timeframe.

This is just me saying, I've waited long enough and I'm letting you know that I'm tired of waiting and its giving me a negativ view of Audeze. My obligation as your customer is done, you can do what you want with that information.
Some issues are a little bit more complicated than others. The LDAC/Custom EQ is a chipset issue. We had to go back to the chipset vendor to get this fixed, rolled into a new SDK etc.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #3,748 of 4,477
Some issues are a little bit more complicated than others. The LDAC/Custom EQ is a chipset issue. We had to go back to the chipset vendor to get this fixed, rolled into a new SDK etc.
Thanks, I appreciate this level of communication, and this helps justify the delay. With some communication most of the frustration can be averted.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #3,749 of 4,477

Thank you. Took you like a minute to explain it for us and its already making me feel a bit better and understanding about the wait.
Communication is so underrated.

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #3,750 of 4,477
Is there any possibility of the directional sound being improved through firmware? I love this headset but the Stealth Pro had better directional sounds than the Maxwell, if the Maxwell didn't have a better mic and wasn't more comfortable I would be using them still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back