Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Jul 21, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #3,691 of 4,477
I had a weird gaming session tonight. Was talking to friends on discord and gaming and then all of a sudden my mic quit working. Unplugged the boom mic and nothing. Plugged the boom mic back in and nothing. Headset looked to be still connected to dongle and I could hear the chat but no mic. Finally turned headset off then back on and all was okay. Still was very annoying to have to trouble shoot in the middle of a match. I also after not having the sidetone crackle now have the sidetone crackle. Sidetone noise was just typical subtle white noise before. Now it is definitely a crackling noise and I had to turn it off. I think this was after adjusting sidetone volume via the windows version of the Audeze software. That's a bummer to not have that issue and now all of a sudden it's shown up. Just confirming that Audeze just does not have the software side of things anywhere close to commercially acceptable. I finally get a headset seemingly without physical defects and now this. I just can't.

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #3,692 of 4,477
I can't understand purchasing the WC headband for anything other than cosmetic reasons.

The Maxwell is not a headphone like the X2HR where there's a ton of room between the suspension headband and the outer headband. That one is elastic, and it works because there's room for it to give.

If the Maxwell suspension headband had any more give it would be resting on the top pad.

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #3,694 of 4,477
I can't understand purchasing the WC headband for anything other than cosmetic reasons.

The Maxwell is not a headphone like the X2HR where there's a ton of room between the suspension headband and the outer headband. That one is elastic, and it works because there's room for it to give.

If the Maxwell suspension headband had any more give it would be resting on the top pad.
I agree, it's just for cosmetic reasons.
I bought a red camo ear pad replacement because of the heat and sweat in the summer. Right now we are over 40°C and the original ones get very hot.

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #3,695 of 4,477
I had a weird gaming session tonight. Was talking to friends on discord and gaming and then all of a sudden my mic quit working. Unplugged the boom mic and nothing. Plugged the boom mic back in and nothing. Headset looked to be still connected to dongle and I could hear the chat but no mic. Finally turned headset off then back on and all was okay. Still was very annoying to have to trouble shoot in the middle of a match. I also after not having the sidetone crackle now have the sidetone crackle. Sidetone noise was just typical subtle white noise before. Now it is definitely a crackling noise and I had to turn it off. I think this was after adjusting sidetone volume via the windows version of the Audeze software. That's a bummer to not have that issue and now all of a sudden it's shown up. Just confirming that Audeze just does not have the software side of things anywhere close to commercially acceptable. I finally get a headset seemingly without physical defects and now this. I just can't.

Do you experience a crackling noise while connected only to your phone?

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #3,696 of 4,477
Today I noticed a strange noise coming from my right ear cup as I was walking with my headset on, and I typically do not take off my headset when I stand up to grab something to drink. It sounds like something is loose inside, its a foil-like noise and it happens when I walk or very gently tap the right earcup. I am not sure what this is but it is bothering me. Has anyone read about this or experienced this issue?

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #3,697 of 4,477
Do you experience a crackling noise while connected only to your phone?
The crackling is there when connected to phone via Bluetooth and PC with dongle. It is there with internal mic but is much more pronounced with the boom mic. It also takes a way higher side tone volume level to get a usable level of side tone with the boom mic compared to the internal mic. Sidetone was nice when it was just a white noise hiss. Not sure what happened to bring the crackle on. Stinks it's not a usable feature anymore but I can just turn it off. The chat/mic side of things completely dumping in the middle of a group gaming session and having to alt-tab out to trouble shoot is way more annoying. I've never had another headset do that. Cheap or midrange.

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #3,698 of 4,477
Today I noticed a strange noise coming from my right ear cup as I was walking with my headset on, and I typically do not take off my headset when I stand up to grab something to drink. It sounds like something is loose inside, its a foil-like noise and it happens when I walk or very gently tap the right earcup. I am not sure what this is but it is bothering me. Has anyone read about this or experienced this issue?
My guess from experience...It's most likely the air pressure from within the ear cup caused by the pad seal and the headset shifting on your head. The change in air pressure can cause the very thin planar driver to make a pop or crinkle sound. Humidity can change this as well. Don't tap or push to hard on the ear cup when it's on your head. This can cause enough air pressure change to potentially damage the thin driver.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #3,699 of 4,477
My guess from experience...It's most likely the air pressure from within the ear cup caused by the pad seal and the headset shifting on your head. The change in air pressure can cause the very thin planar driver to make a pop or crinkle sound. Humidity can change this as well. Don't tap or push to hard on the ear cup when it's on your head. This can cause enough air pressure change to potentially damage the thin driver.

I was just walking when I noticed this, didnt apply pressure, just a vert light tap like tapping on a capacitive touch screen.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #3,700 of 4,477
I was just walking when I noticed this, didnt apply pressure, just a vert light tap like tapping on a capacitive touch screen.
Just a guess. Not definitive. Sometimes it doesn't take much. On some of my planars, especially my lcd2c with the old denser pads, the suction on my ear was a lot. Tilting my head 45 degrees was enough to get a noise from the diaphragm. May not be what's going on for you at all. Just sounded familiar. I have had so many issues with the 3 Maxwells I've had now. It could be anything. I just want to play games. Lol

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #3,701 of 4,477
Just a guess. Not definitive. Sometimes it doesn't take much. On some of my planars, especially my lcd2c with the old denser pads, the suction on my ear was a lot. Tilting my head 45 degrees was enough to get a noise from the diaphragm. May not be what's going on for you at all. Just sounded familiar. I have had so many issues with the 3 Maxwells I've had now. It could be anything. I just want to play games. Lol

Tilting my head also triggers it, not noticeabke when playing games tough.

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #3,702 of 4,477

I agree with @CanOfWormz, sounds like the diaphragm reacting to changes in pressure

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3,703 of 4,477
Those are the signs of planar crinkle, which is possible on planars in general. It is not a defect and can come/go away due to many factors, environmental and not. The main thing is NEVER to apply pressure towards the drivers, like pressing the cups against your head.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #3,704 of 4,477
The crackling is there when connected to phone via Bluetooth and PC with dongle. It is there with internal mic but is much more pronounced with the boom mic. It also takes a way higher side tone volume level to get a usable level of side tone with the boom mic compared to the internal mic. Sidetone was nice when it was just a white noise hiss. Not sure what happened to bring the crackle on. Stinks it's not a usable feature anymore but I can just turn it off. The chat/mic side of things completely dumping in the middle of a group gaming session and having to alt-tab out to trouble shoot is way more annoying. I've never had another headset do that. Cheap or midrange.

To me it sounds like headphones crashed, but this is only my guess.

I'd try factory reset and (if reset will not help) firmware reinstallation:

https://support.audeze.com/hc/en-us/articles/15529895631373-Maxwell-Firmware-Reinstallation

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #3,705 of 4,477
Quick review after 3h gaming session on Xbox plus couple of hours of music by BT connection.

I switched from Lucidsound Ls50x.

No issues at all, none. No crackling sounds with sidetone on (doesn't matter on which sensitivity).

White noise or hiss is present, but in my opinion this is normal when sidetone is in operation. The same was with Lucidsound or Kaira Razer Pro, however in Maxwell the noise/hiss is barely noticible when sidetone is NOT set on 100% :)

I use Audeze preset, which to me sounds OK for long gaming session. 2nd choice would be immersive, however bass could be disturbing during long gaming sessions. In Audeze preset it (bass) give that hit that you can more feel than hear every now and than, that gives me shivers. In the other presets this kind of hits are to often.

Sound itself is very clear, I wasn't sure if there could be any improvement compared to Lucidsound, but there is :)

One thing I would really want to have is simultaneous game sound and BT from the phone. I like to jump on YT during switching maps and similar.

Bottom line, so far so good :)

Oh, I've bought mine on vacation in Singapore directly from the shop, lucky me.

Greetings to AV One retailer :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back