Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #3,512 of 4,477
Overall these have been a fantastic gaming headset for the last month. Everything is great, battery life, comfort, SQ, the EQ, the mic, the range, the app is respectable too, except.... Please fix the side tone. I want to use it without hearing static/whining!

I mistakenly thought that sound went away but I just had the side tone on low. You can't hear it then but also the side tone doesn't really do anything on low either

Jun 9, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,517 of 4,477
Whats the issue?

When Sidetone is on anything but low, you start to hear a crackling static sound which gets the worst when Sidetone is on high. You can't really hear it in game as the sounds overpower it, but when it is quieter, it's super annoying.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #3,519 of 4,477
sidetone on my headset is fine. I have it set to high and no issues. Any new updates I won’t be installing just in case!
Myself and others with the same issue are on the stock firmware. It's an issue with some headsets, quite a few people have complained about that, and they are investigating.

Jun 9, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #3,522 of 4,477
Crackling with sidetone active started for me after the latest firmware update. It was totally fine for me before that.

Jun 10, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #3,524 of 4,477
Had a pair of these delivered a few days ago and had a chance to try them last night. I haven’t been able to update the firmware just yet but the app suggests I’m only one behind the latest release.

I only have my Steam Deck with me so I plugged the dongle into there and tried Diablo IV. Really impressed with the quality of the sound, so much in the game that I didn’t realise was there! Very clear and the bass kicked in just nicely.

The only thing that is a bit odd is the volume. I have the Xbox version so I’m using the PC toggle on the dongle. It seems the volume steps are WAY out, at least on the Deck. I basically can’t hear anything until I get to around 50% volume, and then the volume seems to jump a lot between each successive click up. I was hoping for some finer control of the volume but maybe I’m missing something.

Music sounds … pretty good. I think I do prefer a v-shaped signature and I currently use PX8’s, which feel incredibly welcoming and really engage me with the music. The Maxwell’s sound super clear with music too, bass maybe a little lighter than I’d like (though using the Immersive EQ helps there), but they really lack that warmth that the PX8’s offer.

The vast majority of my usage will be for music so the PX8’s (at the moment) would win there, though it could just be a case of me adapting though I think I’d still always prefer that warmer feeling sound. But I also like gaming and having the option to use the dongle so easily on my consoles compared to having to use the aux port for the PX8’s puts the Maxwell’s ahead on that one.

I’ll update the firmware and see if it changes anything and give the Maxwell’s some more time.

Edit: A little annoying that I can change the volume outside of the iOS app but as soon as I go into the app the volume changes to whatever was set in the app. Feels to me like it would make more sense if the app detected what the volume was set to already and using that volume rather than it being hard coded into the app and forcing the volume change?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #3,525 of 4,477
Tips for iPhone and USB Dongle.

Saw related discussion suggesting using Apple Camera Adapter. I found other solutions that could reduce adapter space.

I’m using an adapter made for digital headphones and it works.

However, this solution only works for headphone part (audio output), microphone and media control won’t function.

A workaround for answering incoming calls is to connect Maxwell with iPhone through both USB Dongle and bluetooth.

Do you have a link to that adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back