Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Mar 14, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #2,491 of 4,477
What I suggested still supports turning sidetone on and off independently.

And Yes, they may not want to alter that, so I’m simply giving a suggestion, wishing to help Maxwell more user friendly. The decision is of course up to them.

Thank you for the reply! :)
Yeah, they pretty much suggested the exact same thing as you at some point. Just didn't want you to get your hopes up since they said no. Maybe they will change their mind!

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #2,497 of 4,477
Yeah, they pretty much suggested the exact same thing as you at some point. Just didn't want you to get your hopes up since they said no. Maybe they will change their mind!
I think their is more chance of me dipping myself in gravy and dancing on Old Trafford's Roof naked in celebration that indeed the good times have returned than Audeze changing their mind.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #2,498 of 4,477
is there a quality difference on audio with iphones? bluetooth vs usb-c to lightning cable? does that activate apple lossless audio?

the maxwells have its own onboard DAC?

The Maxwell does have an onboard DAC and you can connect it to an iPhone over a wired digital connection (note, I used a USB-C to USB-A cable and the Apple camera connection kit, I don't have a USB-C to Lightning cable to test that). Subjectively, I think it sounds better than Bluetooth (it's hard to volume match to compare back and forth, so take that with a grain of salt), and I believe that iPhone's generally support bitperfect digital output from the lightning port, but I can't actually confirm that the iPhone is sending bitperfect audio

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #2,501 of 4,477
If interested, can anyone look at my custom preset please:

It's experimental. I love this preset so far though. I'm playing anime music on it right now. What do you suggest to make it better? Any criticisms?
Forgot to add, this was made only with rock, j-pop music in mind.

Thanks to you I created my custom EQ. That keeps me banging my head! Any less bass is not enough bass even though I'm not a basshead.

1678896560668.png

The pre-defined EQs just sound meh.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #2,502 of 4,477
Would have been nice if you didn't cheap out with Mobius on the chassis. Maybe you learned to not trust injection-molded yokes. I had to replace my headphones twice, once on your dime under warranty and once on mine, and I'll never buy a product from Audeze again after this. Shame

Okay, so you literally just said of Audeze 'maybe you learned...' - totally appreciate your frustration, but the Mobius launched in 2018, and Penrose about 2 years later using the same physical design archetype/materials. I assume the reason for that was to get the successor to market a bit quicker whilst also retaining the essence of the originator product.

Clearly though, lessons have been learned, particularly around build quality - and the Maxwell is pretty much the culmination of all of those learnings. A quick look around the 'gaming headset' market and you'll notice the vast majority are made of similar materials to Mobius/Penrose, no doubt the design was not by accident as well since appealing to a certain type of consumer.

Ultimately what I'm getting at is that it's kind of hard to be mad at Audeze for taking on board feedback and putting that front and centre when designing successor products (4+ years on), if anything shouldn't we be happier that they listened to feedback rather than recycled an ill-fated element of an old product?

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,504 of 4,477
Glad I was helpful! I changed mines in the 16kHz to 7dB and Raised 32Hz to 2 dB. Everything's the same. It's a chef's kiss so far.
The LCD-X are like this too. The bass can really sing, you just need to EQ it a bit, but after that it is literally amazing - no bloat, textured, layered with great impact.. The LCD planars really respond well to EQ more so than many other cans.

Mar 15, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #2,505 of 4,477
The LCD-X are like this too. The bass can really sing, you just need to EQ it a bit, but after that it is literally amazing - no bloat, textured, layered with great impact.. The LCD planars really respond well to EQ more so than many other cans.
I never tried open backs before, as I prefer the convenience of a wireless headphone. But I've always had my eye on the LCD series and the new Meze 109 Pro. Hopefully someday I'll get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back