Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #2,180 of 4,477
Forgive the noob question, is there any benefit to setting the settings to 24/96 when the source audio in most video games is 16/48? I know in the case of certain FPS shooters on PC, bumping up the resolution (like BF5) can induce stuttering but that might just be an isolated case. I had initially set it to 16/48 and will try 24/96 and see how it fares in games and movies! From the UI in your screenshot it looks like Windows 11 but I think the settings should apply to windows 10 right? I refuse to upgrade to Windows 11 lol.

I’m a noob, too! :)
I mainly play games on console and using my laptop for movies and musics, do notice improvements when using 24/96. I would recommend try and play with those settings to figure out the best to your liking. No matter what, turning off the Windows audio enhancements and spatial audio do greatly improve audio quality.
Yes, I’m using Windows 11 and I think those settings could also be applied to Win10.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #2,183 of 4,477
As an aside, anyone have any DAC recommendations for PS5? Looking for something that allows me to make my own EQ and still use the Tempest 3D engine.
Audeze HQ will soon support EQ customization for Maxwell. According to current spec., 4 customized EQs can be saved into the headset, and can be switched on-the-fly using upper volume wheel on Maxwell.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,184 of 4,477
As an aside, anyone have any DAC recommendations for PS5? Looking for something that allows me to make my own EQ and still use the Tempest 3D engine.
You can make EQs now if you have access to anything Android or have a pc and use bluestacks which is an android emulation. And you can use Tempest with the maxwell on the dongle.

Mar 7, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #2,190 of 4,477
Just got my Maxwell this evening. Latest firmware.

Did a quick measurement on my PS5 with the dongle, volume max output hitting spikes up to 95dB. Yea, no complaints from me here. PC it's just as loud with the dongle, getting consistent measurements with spikes up to 95dB.

I'm very impressed with how it sounds out of the box. Haven't got any of the presets to work like bass boost, treble,(can't remember if they were working or not from Audeze HQ pc app). I'm fine with whatever setting it is at and probably won't change it for the moment. I don't notice any latency issues and without a doubt it is miles better than any gaming headset I've ever used which is unfortunately more limited compared to my collection of muisc focused headphones and IEM's I've amassed (mid-fi collector of 70+ but unfortunately no Audeze products besides the Maxwell).

Let me get back to gaming, playing Dead Space on this thing, JFC, I can't believe how good this thing sounds. I have to say, this is probably one of the most impressive I can think of at the moment and actually really surprised me with even little sounds and how things are placed in the environment. Words that come to mind, detailed, engaging, addicting and satisfying. I wasn't really expecting this, I mean for ***, it's not like I haven't listened to planar headphones before, I have damn near a dozen planar iems and damn near most Hifiman headphones south of 600 dollars.

The quality, picking this thing up, oh man, there is nothing cheap feeling about it, everything about this headset feels premium.

Looking forward to using this one in my every day routine and even for music, it's a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back