Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Feb 25, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,696 of 4,476
He does get promotional units at times (not sure if this one was a review unit). Outside of that he has sponsorships like Wicked Cushions for example where he has his own link and gets a kickback.

Granted, I don't have a problem with people getting paid for these reviews, but I have a problem when it influences their review like not calling out shortcomings. I think Gadgetry has a wicked cushions sponsorship too, but he's honest enough to tell us that changing the pads hurt the sound. Also, he gives us EQ to get the sound back, so he's honest and adds value. While Techne always says it sounds better. Which is cap.
My bad. I thought we were talking about Gadgetry. I don't know how I got it confused. Probably saw another preview screen and confused your's with it.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,697 of 4,476
Does the headset automatically reset the volume back to base volume each time you get off the Playstation then get back on?

If so is there anyway to have the volume stay the same after I turn off the Playstation then get back on?

Idk if its just something I'm imaging or if its a real thing.
Yes somewhere one of the audeze reps mentioned that it gets reset every time so that you don't get your ears "blasted off" accidentally. Same for game/chat mix

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,698 of 4,476
@matfax The user guide states the following;

"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell functions as an LC3+ Bluetooth adapter. This offers you all the functionality of the LC3+ codec like ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support the LC3 or LC3+ codecs natively, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LC3 or LC3+ is enabled in your developer options"

LC3+ is a recent Bluetooth codec that is lossy. Yes it supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz but i believe at max 1 Mbps. Yes, using the hires label for this is debatable (since it is not lossless). @Audeze can you disclose which bitrate the dongle/headset operates at in an optimum situation (i.e. in line of sight, a few meters away) ?

See this for more:
https://www.whathifi.com/features/w...ill-not-repeat-not-improve-your-sound-quality

APTx lossless is the only lossless BT codec I heard of so far and the maxwell doesn't support it.

The frequency range spec is derived from the sample rate; with to reproduce a 20khz tone you need 40khz sample rate. With a 96 kHz samplerate you can reproduce a ~50 kHz tone -- that is completely useless anyway unless you plan to offer your headset to a cat. Even so, sounds over 12khz are nearly unhearable by adults. You realize that when you listen to a 20-20k sweep.

That said, for critical listening you can connect using the USB or jack cable, then it is really lossless.

I personally would not base my decision on that factor alone, or at least I would test my hearing with a proper a/b testing session here (use your best equipment for that): https://abx.digitalfeed.net

If you can tell the difference between 320 kbps aac and lossless, and you are a critical audiophile, then maybe you need a lossless headset...

Otherwise, buy both and compare, try to see if you can tell the difference, and most important which you enjoy the most !

Here I thought I read somewhere that the dongle was to use 5GHz. Then again, BLE would explain a lot. It would explain the long battery life. It would explain why no simultaneous connection is possible when they use a standard Bluetooth SoC. Since Multipoint, by design, doesn't allow simultaneous connections either. They would have to integrate an additional Bluetooth receiver then. Though many SoCs integrate Wifi as well. I guess it was too complicated to make the bandwidth dynamic and scale with range. While LC3+ is a standardized solution, no inhouse development necessary.

In this case, USB cable would provide the best quality, i.e. only a single conversion and full bandwidth.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #1,699 of 4,476
Had my Maxwell for a couple of days without any issues but last night it randomly powered off a couple of times while i was using it. First time was while watching a youtube video and the second time was while i had spotify playing. Not sure what is going on but i would just hear the "power off" audio cue both times, turning it back on was normal and didnt occur again after so far.

Anyone notice anything similar like that with theirs?

Oh god... My Mobius does this sometimes.. I was really hoping the Maxwell would not. :/

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,701 of 4,476
Yes somewhere one of the audeze reps mentioned that it gets reset every time so that you don't get your ears "blasted off" accidentally. Same for game/chat mix

I thought that was only supposed to be for when you changed the EQ? Kinda silly to have to find the volume I like every time I turn on my headset.

Ideally we can get the headset set up the way we like and then not have to play with it anymore.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #1,702 of 4,476
@matfax The user guide states the following;

"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell functions as an LC3+ Bluetooth adapter. This offers you all the functionality of the LC3+ codec like ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support the LC3 or LC3+ codecs natively, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LC3 or LC3+ is enabled in your developer options"

LC3+ is a recent Bluetooth codec that is lossy. Yes it supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz but i believe at max 1 Mbps. Yes, using the hires label for this is debatable (since it is not lossless). @Audeze can you disclose which bitrate the dongle/headset operates at in an optimum situation (i.e. in line of sight, a few meters away) ?

See this for more:
https://www.whathifi.com/features/w...ill-not-repeat-not-improve-your-sound-quality

APTx lossless is the only lossless BT codec I heard of so far and the maxwell doesn't support it.

The frequency range spec is derived from the sample rate; with to reproduce a 20khz tone you need 40khz sample rate. With a 96 kHz samplerate you can reproduce a ~50 kHz tone -- that is completely useless anyway unless you plan to offer your headset to a cat. Even so, sounds over 12khz are nearly unhearable by adults. You realize that when you listen to a 20-20k sweep.

That said, for critical listening you can connect using the USB or jack cable, then it is really lossless.

I personally would not base my decision on that factor alone, or at least I would test my hearing with a proper a/b testing session here (use your best equipment for that): https://abx.digitalfeed.net

If you can tell the difference between 320 kbps aac and lossless, and you are a critical audiophile, then maybe you need a lossless headset...

Otherwise, buy both and compare, try to see if you can tell the difference, and most important which you enjoy the most !

Don't they mean that it doubles as a Bluetooth adapter ?

I was under the impression it was using 2.4Ghz Wifi/RF for the dongle and bluetooth for other devices. But that would explain why the device can't do both Bluetooth and Wireless modes...

That's kinda disappointing to be fair. But I guess it'll still be an upgrade over my Arctis Pro Wireless.

Thanks for your reply !

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,703 of 4,476
Good point, I'm not sure, but based on the reviews that indicate that range dramatically improved, my guess would be that it is now Bluetooth entirely. Lossy, but 5x the range and probably no more pops/cracks in sound. I'll take that, thanks :wink:
Don't they mean that it doubles as a Bluetooth adapter ?

I was under the impression it was using 2.4Ghz Wifi/RF for the dongle and bluetooth for other devices. But that would explain why the device can't do both Bluetooth and Wireless modes...

That's kinda disappointing to be fair. But I guess it'll still be an upgrade over my Arctis Pro Wireless.

Thanks for your reply !

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #1,705 of 4,476
Good point, I'm not sure, but based on the reviews that indicate that range dramatically improved, my guess would be that it is now Bluetooth entirely. Lossy, but 5x the range and probably no more pops/cracks in sound. I'll take that, thanks :wink:

That makes sense indeed.
But I wonder, wouldn't it be better to use it with a LDAC dongle then since the Maxwell seems to support it and seems to have a higher bandwidth ?

Edit: ok I guess the point was to get low latency compared to LDAC.

I'm also a bit confused, since I'm totally tech illiterate when it comes to audio but, would a Maxwell running with LC3plus with a 24bits/96khz lossy audio sound better than, let's say a Penrose with 16bits/48khz lossless ?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,710 of 4,476
Here I thought I read somewhere that the dongle was to use 5GHz. Then again, BLE would explain a lot. It would explain the long battery life. It would explain why no simultaneous connection is possible when they use a standard Bluetooth SoC. Since Multipoint, by design, doesn't allow simultaneous connections either. They would have to integrate an additional Bluetooth receiver then. Though many SoCs integrate Wifi as well. I guess it was too complicated to make the bandwidth dynamic and scale with range. While LC3+ is a standardized solution, no inhouse development necessary.

In this case, USB cable would provide the best quality, i.e. only a single conversion and full bandwidth.
When connected via USB cable, is the Bluetooth still active? I ask for the use case in which I want to listen to music via PC but able to take a phone call if one comes in?

Similarly, when connected via USB is the mic active, such that it is "one stop shopping" for calls and PC based meetings requiring two-way voice functionality?

Thanks, I know it's a gaming headset but with that sweet planar driver hoping to use if for music and general work functions as well. Info appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back