Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Feb 24, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,681 of 4,477
Ok so I received my Maxwell's today and have some questions for anyone using them on PC. What volume level do you guys use them on Windows? It seems I have to have them set to above 60 or so to get good listening volume. Also, some friends that I play with on Discord mentioned that I sound more muffled on discord vs using my wireless Modmic. They mentioned that I sound quieter as well. I turned off Krisp voice in the app as well as echo cancellation and messed with all three microphone noise suppression settings and its all the same. Anyone experiencing the same things? When using Voice Recorder on windows everything sounds fine.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,682 of 4,477
Ok so I received my Maxwell's today and have some questions for anyone using them on PC. What volume level do you guys use them on Windows? It seems I have to have them set to above 60 or so to get good listening volume. Also, some friends that I play with on Discord mentioned that I sound more muffled on discord vs using my wireless Modmic. They mentioned that I sound quieter as well. I turned off Krisp voice in the app as well as echo cancellation and messed with all three microphone noise suppression settings and its all the same. Anyone experiencing the same things? When using Voice Recorder on windows everything sounds fine.
Using the "Standard" Krisp without the noise filtering on the headset made it work better for me.

Also raise the level for the microphone through Windows sound control to 100.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #1,683 of 4,477
Using the "Standard" Krisp without the noise filtering on the headset made it work better for me.

Also raise the level for the microphone through Windows sound control to 100.
Yeah that's another one that I tried. Setting it to "standard" is actually turning Krisp off. So its actually running standard noise suppression through discord.

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #1,684 of 4,477
I'm definitely not trying to get into beef/drama with any one or any channel. He's entitled to his opinion of course.

Some statements that it's marketing fluff/hocus pocus or whatever he said wasn't as cool and from what I could tell some people called that out in the comments. I bought my Maxwell that I reviewed. I've received zero marketing material. All of the tech stuff and frequency response came from hours/days of testing, just like other reviews I do.

I won't be engaging in anything regarding his opinions unless he specifically calls out me or a specific video I made. Otherwise, I'll just do my own thing and provide content that I feel can help the consumer/viewer. That's all I want to do, as I love using the products I review.
I'm not even sure if it was aimed directly at you but the timing was sure strange. He put out a short statement in his next vid saying he wasn't aiming it at anybody.

Feb 24, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #1,685 of 4,477
I'm not even sure if it was aimed directly at you but the timing was sure strange. He put out a short statement in his next vid saying he wasn't aiming it at anybody.

And then made similar comments trashing people who measure frequencies. He's making some cop out that he always held that stance, but never mentioned other reviewers before.

Feb 24, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,687 of 4,477
Does the headset automatically reset the volume back to base volume each time you get off the Playstation then get back on?

If so is there anyway to have the volume stay the same after I turn off the Playstation then get back on?

Idk if its just something I'm imaging or if its a real thing.

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,688 of 4,477
Wired can only be better than wireless (except maybe for the Penrose which has 48khz 16 bit audio lossless -- no wonder it has such a limited range). The maxwell codec is lossy at 500 kbits/s (vs 1500 for the lossless Penrose link).

However, the audio quality of two headsets cannot be reduced to specs, i did'nt test the nova but i would bet that the planar drivers of audeze are better.
Penrose and Maxwell (many other ANCs and gaming headsets as well) don't have a direct line on the drivers, which means that some sort of ADC-DAC pipe is necessary, which comes at a quality loss. The dongle directly transmits the data to the DAC digitally, so there's no loss given the right codec and the right range. Though your range won't be unlimited with a cable either. What matters is that you have three conversions with the analog cable, every conversion adds some distortion. With the dongle, you have only one conversion.

Unless you mean USB-wired, which only has one conversion as well. I'm curious where you got the information that the USB dongle only transmitted at 500 kbits. I kind of doubt this number for two reasons. First, 5Ghz allows much higher transmission rates, it allows lossless transmission from digital music players. Second, even Bluetooth LDAC has higher bandwidth. Range isn't an argument because the bandwidth can be adjusted to range on the fly. Lower latency could be an argument but all you need is more processing power and it becomes irrelevant again.

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,689 of 4,477
I thought the "review" was trash tbh. This whole notion that you need to try every headset for yourself is disconnected from reality imo. Most people can't afford to buy every decent headset on the market to try it for themselves. Even if you buy them and send them back, that's upfront money and there's risk of damaging a headset while you're trying them and getting charged accordingly. There are aspects of sound that is generally appealing to most people that you can use as a reference to narrow your search. From there, sure try the ones you're interested in, but if you're review is 100% feeling then it adds no value.

Also, the Techne doesn't believe in EQ which is crazy to me as you can get a good sound to great through EQ. Instead of EQing he goes to his wall of headsets to grab a headset with a different sound (one for fps, one for single player, one for music, etc). That's also disconnected from the average consumer. Most people will be able to afford 1 good headset and will need multiple EQ profiles to change the sound to fit the use at the time. Saying I don't EQ, but uses 6 different headsets is just privilege.

The Techne is basically a sales person. I remember watching his original Nova pro review and the headset was "stinkin cozy", but fast forward a few months the headset pads are terrible with the new wicked cushions and to use his code in the description. At best the Techne videos are decent impression videos, but if there's any way he can profit from a sale then his comments will be 95% positive. I don't trust anything he says. Everything is good because it's all subjective right?
He didn't get free samples though. Wouldn't a sales person profit somehow from what he's selling? Maybe he's just hyped, this causes a positive bias.

Feb 25, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #1,690 of 4,477
He didn't get free samples though. Wouldn't a sales person profit somehow from what he's selling? Maybe he's just hyped, this causes a positive bias.

He does get promotional units at times (not sure if this one was a review unit). Outside of that he has sponsorships like Wicked Cushions for example where he has his own link and gets a kickback.

Granted, I don't have a problem with people getting paid for these reviews, but I have a problem when it influences their review like not calling out shortcomings. I think Gadgetry has a wicked cushions sponsorship too, but he's honest enough to tell us that changing the pads hurt the sound. Also, he gives us EQ to get the sound back, so he's honest and adds value. While Techne always says it sounds better. Which is cap.

Feb 25, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #1,691 of 4,477
He does get promotional units at times (not sure if this one was a review unit). Outside of that he has sponsorships like Wicked Cushions for example where he has his own link and gets a kickback.

Granted, I don't have a problem with people getting paid for these reviews, but I have a problem when it influences their review like not calling out shortcomings. I think Gadgetry has a wicked cushions sponsorship too, but he's honest enough to tell us that changing the pads hurt the sound. Also, he gives us EQ to get the sound back, so he's honest and adds value. While Techne always says it sounds better. Which is cap.
I have a good working relationship with the owner at Wicked but no sponsorship. I rejected any form of compensation for pad reviews. I only recently started receiving some affiliate income through special Amazon links, just like the generic ones I make for all the products I purchase. I made it clear to Wicked I don’t want monetary exchange to be tied to my reviews. I’ve even tested and measured unreleased pads lately just to give him feed back on to what level it helps or hurt sound. On that note, I’ve never accepted any form of special compensation for any product I’ve reviewed, and I don’t expect that to ever change.

Feb 25, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #1,693 of 4,477
I have a good working relationship with the owner at Wicked but no sponsorship. I rejected any form of compensation for pad reviews. I only recently started receiving some affiliate income through special Amazon links, just like the generic ones I make for all the products I purchase. I made it clear to Wicked I don’t want monetary exchange to be tied to my reviews. I’ve even tested and measured unreleased pads lately just to give him feed back on to what level it helps or hurt sound. On that note, I’ve never accepted any form of special compensation for any product I’ve reviewed, and I don’t expect that to ever change.

Thanks for clarifying. Was just an assumption, but my point was even when there's a relationship with the company you stay pretty fair and if the pads hurt the sound, you say that.

Feb 25, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,695 of 4,477
Isn't the Maxwell advertised as "wireless lossless quality" ?
Also as for the Maxwell codec being lossy at 500kbits, where does that come from ?

Sorry for the questions but I'm on the edge to purchase a Maxwell but I need to know everything beforehand.
@matfax The user guide states the following;

"The wireless dongle that comes with your Maxwell functions as an LC3+ Bluetooth adapter. This offers you all the functionality of the LC3+ codec like ultra low latency playback, very robust wireless transmission strength and hi-res audio. For devices that support the LC3 or LC3+ codecs natively, the dongle is not required for low latency playback as long as LC3 or LC3+ is enabled in your developer options"

LC3+ is a recent Bluetooth codec that is lossy. Yes it supports up to 24 bit 96 kHz but i believe at max 1 Mbps. Yes, using the hires label for this is debatable (since it is not lossless). @Audeze can you disclose which bitrate the dongle/headset operates at in an optimum situation (i.e. in line of sight, a few meters away) ?

See this for more:
https://www.whathifi.com/features/w...ill-not-repeat-not-improve-your-sound-quality

APTx lossless is the only lossless BT codec I heard of so far and the maxwell doesn't support it.

The frequency range spec is derived from the sample rate; with to reproduce a 20khz tone you need 40khz sample rate. With a 96 kHz samplerate you can reproduce a ~50 kHz tone -- that is completely useless anyway unless you plan to offer your headset to a cat. Even so, sounds over 12khz are nearly unhearable by adults. You realize that when you listen to a 20-20k sweep.

That said, for critical listening you can connect using the USB or jack cable, then it is really lossless.

I personally would not base my decision on that factor alone, or at least I would test my hearing with a proper a/b testing session here (use your best equipment for that): https://abx.digitalfeed.net

If you can tell the difference between 320 kbps aac and lossless, and you are a critical audiophile, then maybe you need a lossless headset...

Otherwise, buy both and compare, try to see if you can tell the difference, and most important which you enjoy the most !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back