Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Feb 22, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #1,516 of 4,477
I have a question regarding these headphones and 3D audio. I know various movie watching questions have been asked in this space although it didn't quite suit my needs so I will describe my use and someone can enlighten me.
I am after a headphone that offers 3D audio for watching films on my TV. I can connect the headphone either by USB or eArc or wireless from my Sony TV.
Will one of these Maxwell phones be up to the task or do I need to wait for Audeze to replace the Mobius one day?
I know about the Symth Realizer A16 although it's really expensive. From what I've read the Mobius would fit the bill or do I have this wrong?

It's tough rabbit hole to chase that won't live up to the A16, unfortunately. Stereo is just as good/better* than the lesser VSS options out there (IMO*). Been there, done that.

However, maybe something might click for you. As far as more mainstream consumer stuff you can play with that are OK:

Xbox Series S or X + Dolby Access app ($15) + any headphone. This would be the best way to use a Maxwell (Xbox version) with a TV for films if you really wanted Atmos for Headphones. No head tracking, though.

Apple TV 4K + Airpods Max/Airpods Pro/Beats Fit Pro/Airpods. Head tracking plus Atmos, so legit 3D. Bluetooth only, so kinda meh in that regards.

Creative GC7 (has two different VSS DSPs) + any headphone + Dolby Digital optical connection from your TV. Linear virtual surround sound + no head tracking.

I can get the Nvidia Shield TV to work with the Mobius in 7.1 mode and the Shield's USB surround sound mode, but it doesn't sound right to me. Not sure if it's really processing a surround signal.

Feb 22, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #1,517 of 4,477
Maxwell doesn't have inbuilt 3D audio like Mobius. It uses the 3D engine in Xbox or Playstation or PC. So if you want a headphone with built-in 3D, Maxwell won't work
I thought as much, I needed clarification thank you. Would you have any info on a future Mobius v2 at all?

Feb 22, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,518 of 4,477
It's tough rabbit hole to chase that won't live up to the A16, unfortunately. Stereo is just as good/better* than the lesser VSS options out there (IMO*). Been there, done that.

However, maybe something might click for you. As far as more mainstream consumer stuff you can play with that are OK:

Xbox Series S or X + Dolby Access app ($15) + any headphone. This would be the best way to use a Maxwell (Xbox version) with a TV for films if you really wanted Atmos for Headphones. No head tracking, though.

Apple TV 4K + Airpods Max/Airpods Pro/Beats Fit Pro/Airpods. Head tracking plus Atmos, so legit 3D. Bluetooth only, so kinda meh in that regards.

Creative GC7 (has two different VSS DSPs) + any headphone + Dolby Digital optical connection from your TV. Linear virtual surround sound + no head tracking.

I can get the Nvidia Shield TV to work with the Mobius in 7.1 mode and the Shield's USB surround sound mode, but it doesn't sound right to me. Not sure if it's really processing a surround signal.
Thanks very much for the info. You would think that Sony would release something in this space considering all the expertise they have. Looks like I merely have to wait for Audeze to move and release a follow up Mobius. Maybe they are working on it as we type away. At least the new 'Maxwell' design is complete which I think looks fantastic.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #1,519 of 4,477
Thanks very much for the info. You would think that Sony would release something in this space considering all the expertise they have. Looks like I merely have to wait for Audeze to move and release a follow up Mobius. Maybe they are working on it as we type away. At least the new 'Maxwell' design is complete which I think looks fantastic.

Considering how much of a song and dance Sony made about the Tempest engine when launching the PS5, you got the impression they were gonna really run with that audio tech and try to challenge Dolby even, but so far it's been limited to PS5, and feels like they pretty much didn't want to pay the Dolby license fee vs re-tooling their in-house 3D audio solutions.

Thanks to Gadgetry Tech for the in-depth review! Only caught a little bit, can't wait to watch it all.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,521 of 4,477
Anyone who compared the Penrose and Maxwell a little more?

Read on Reddit that one guy thought the Penrose sound better, but that person also think that the Sony InZone H9 sounds better.. I’m in doubt. https://www.reddit.com/r/Audeze/comments/117hnzt/xbox_shipping/j9j90n4/?
I didn't listen to InZone H9, but I had Gold, Platinum and Pulse 3D headsets from Sony, all of them are not even close to Penrose. I don't think a dynamic driver in the same price category can produce a sound comparable to a planar one, especially knowing Sony's love of overpricing accessories.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,522 of 4,477
Whenever anyone has time to skip a couple Netflix shows, I just uploaded my review. It's incredibly long (~38min), but I added chapters for convenience. The mic performance with Filter technology is insane. If you only have 2 minutes to spare, just watch the mic chapter! Sorry for the length (my original video was past an hour so I re-filmed). Hope you find it helpful!

Just watched the review man, incredible, the amount of detail you go into is fantastic.

Not making the wait any easier, but I'm so glad someone reputable got hold of them and dropped such a deep dive.

Feb 22, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #1,523 of 4,477

Read on Reddit that one guy thought the Penrose sound better, but that person also think that the Sony InZone H9 sounds better.. I’m in doubt. https://www.reddit.com/r/Audeze/comments/117hnzt/xbox_shipping/j9j90n4/?

Never tried the H9, but I'd say the Maxwell sounds a bit better than the Penrose (not dramatically). I wish he would have went into detail though. I can't think of any area where the Penrose sounds better. Outside of not have simultaneous BT, the Maxwell is superior in every way.

I will say some people may still prefer dynamic drivers. I still prefer my V-Modas for music, but usually what I like for music is trash for gaming.

Feb 22, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,524 of 4,477
Considering how much of a song and dance Sony made about the Tempest engine when launching the PS5, you got the impression they were gonna really run with that audio tech and try to challenge Dolby even, but so far it's been limited to PS5, and feels like they pretty much didn't want to pay the Dolby license fee vs re-tooling their in-house 3D audio solutions.

Thanks to Gadgetry Tech for the in-depth review! Only caught a little bit, can't wait to watch it all.
IIRC, Tempest 3D audio was made as an evolution to the audio engine first used in the first PSVR.

I do hope they expand on its usability and customizability (like room size expansion).

Something I think Dolby needs to do as well. Dolby Headphone has multiple room sizes, and I'd like to see that much for Atmos too.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #1,525 of 4,477
Whenever anyone has time to skip a couple Netflix shows, I just uploaded my review. It's incredibly long (~38min), but I added chapters for convenience. The mic performance with Filter technology is insane. If you only have 2 minutes to spare, just watch the mic chapter! Sorry for the length (my original video was past an hour so I re-filmed). Hope you find it helpful!

Did you not try them wired at all? Or did I miss that in the review?

I'm looking for the perfect headset/headphones for FPS footsteps and music. I currently have Yeti X mic and Mobius headset.
After watching the review, I still don't know if I should go for Novo Pro wired or Maxwell or something else.

Like how big is the gap when it comes to footsteps and music between these (using a wired connection)?
Like is the Nova Pro extremely superior when it comes to footsteps? And does it sound like crap when it comes to music compared to Maxwell? :p

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,527 of 4,477
Did you not try them wired at all? Or did I miss that in the review?

I'm looking for the perfect headset/headphones for FPS footsteps and music. I currently have Yeti X mic and Mobius headset.
After watching the review, I still don't know if I should go for Novo Pro wired or Maxwell or something else.

Like how big is the gap when it comes to footsteps and music between these (using a wired connection)?
Like is the Nova Pro extremely superior when it comes to footsteps? And does it sound like crap when it comes to music compared to Maxwell? :p
I should have probably slept more before filming, but, yes I did try in wired. You can still run 24bit 96khz in wireless mode, and all three modes (wireless, USB-C, and aux sound great. They all utilized DSP and benefit greatly from that. I will discuss the various modes more in depth with my Xbox follow up review, to kind of work in tandem with everything stated here.

When I compared to Nova Pro Wireless, I have to consider the fact that I made several tuning adjustments with custom EQ to maximize their performance in footsteps. With the Maxwell, I basically stayed with the stock EQ presets until I can tune via Audeze HQ and not something like EAPO or Sonar. The Maxwell wasn't bad for footsteps by any means, but in the current state, the Model One and Nova Pro had a slight edge, that's all.

If I had to pick a single headset for everything, it's still the Maxwell no matter what. I am not packing up a few "wall of fame" headsets that I always keep handy because the Maxwell just replaced several of them at once. The Maxwell is unrivaled with music quality for a wireless gaming headset. The only ones that came close are the Nova Pro Wireless and EPOS H3 Pro, but they both have their own gremlins and I think the Maxwell just has the total edge in sound quality.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #1,528 of 4,477
IIRC, Tempest 3D audio was made as an evolution to the audio engine first used in the first PSVR.

I do hope they expand on its usability and customizability (like room size expansion).

Something I think Dolby needs to do as well. Dolby Headphone has multiple room sizes, and I'd like to see that much for Atmos too.
Tempest Audio basically allows developers to easily utilize object based sound with game development for Sony content. There are plugins that can map Dolby games such as Call of Duty from Atmos to Tempest, so Sony players can still benefit from object based sound on games that weren't developed solely for Sony platforms. Sony's Tempest engine uses a different HRTF, so some people may like how a game sounds on PS vs Xbox, even if it's the same game. It all depends on how well Sony's HRTF algorithm maps to your specific head/ears compared to what the Dolby Atmos HRTF does.

I hope I didn't make this more confusing. I was planning on making a video specifically focusing on spatial audio among different platforms at some point soon.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #1,529 of 4,477

If someone thinks the INZONE H9 sounds better than the Audeze Penrose, then their preferences definitely do not align with mine. I got a review sample last year when they dropped, and the INZONE H9 is more focused on ANC than sound quality. Don't get me wrong, for gaming purposes, the INZONE H9 are fine. But for more musical detailed listening experiences, they are uninspiring in the grand scheme of things.

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #1,530 of 4,477
For console gaming I’ve always found DTS to be my preferred virtualized surround solution, with Dolby being a decent backup. To me, DTS does the best job of maintaining the meaty quality of a stereo signal while providing a bit more spaciousness and directionality (it also has a “balanced” or “spacious” profile to choose between).

I’ve never liked Tempest on PS5 that much, and it’s actually one of the reasons I tend to prefer playing games on Xbox. I find that, especially in games not mastered with it in mind (Battlefield 2042, say), it’s somewhat muddy and hollow sounding. It reminds me a bit of what the onboard Dolby surround function sounded like on the old Astro mixamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back