Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Dec 28, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #301 of 4,477
Use the USB mode or the dongle, seriously. Don't use an amplifier. The risk is much higher than any reward you think you'd have. USB wired and USB dongle does not use audio from the onboard.

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely avoid using them with an amplifier. I was schooled by some of the helpful members here on why it would be a bad idea to use them with an amplifier and it didn't really hit me until double amplification was mentioned which ends up resulting in nothing but bad things, so definitely no reward here.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #302 of 4,477
It's actually surprising how many people want to use these as a strictly bluetooth headphone. Are you not worried about the codec support? The Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 is a Snapdragon sound device so it has the full set of the aptX codecs, so the bluetooth quality is top tier. It looks like the Maxwell supports AAC, but it doesn't seem particularly equipped with the full bluetooth codec suite.

I'm also curious from Audeze's POV on the tuning. I pre-ordered these with the assumption they are tuned for gaming, but curious if the tuning is more the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" approach to tuning the drivers.
we have answered these questions on the Maxwell page.
For bluetooth, Maxwell supports both Bluetooth classic and BLE audio. With BT Classic, it support SBC, AAC and LDAC. With BLE audio it supports LC3 and LC3 plus.

Tuning - These are powered headphones. there are a lot of "tuning" options and presets available. Few presets are available for audiophiles as well.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #303 of 4,477
Who buys a wireless headset and uses it wired? There are better wired headsets around so going wireless makes no sense.

You have any suggestions? I have Mobius atm, having issues with them that support cant help me solve. Looking for a replacement without spending a fortune. I do play FPS games but I also like music. I do preferer wired. Also needs a good mic.

What wired headsets would be a good option? That would also have better sound than this one.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #304 of 4,477
You have any suggestions? I have Mobius atm, having issues with them that support cant help me solve. Looking for a replacement without spending a fortune. I do play FPS games but I also like music. I do preferer wired. Also needs a good mic.

What wired headsets would be a good option? That would also have better sound than this one.

I have the Sennheiser PC38x which is a great wired gaming headset and also doubles up for music.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #305 of 4,477
Here is a question I haven't seen been asked in this thread.

Will the software have automatic profile (EQ settings) switching based on program start? As example, lets say I have two profiles. One for music (default) and one for a game or software like Overwatch or Spotify. Will it automatically switch profile when I start overwatch.exe to my gaming profile? And then switch back to default when closing that game?

Peace EQ has this feature. I see many others don't have it. Not even sure SteelSeries Sonar has it...

I just don't understand how an EQ cant have this. Like manually switching profiles every single time you start and close a game is just silly. All you need to do is to detect when a specific exe (of my choice) is running or not and then tie it to an EQ profile (of my choice).

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #306 of 4,477
Here is a question I haven't seen been asked in this thread.

Will the software have automatic profile (EQ settings) switching based on program start? As example, lets say I have two profiles. One for music (default) and one for a game or software like Overwatch or Spotify. Will it automatically switch profile when I start overwatch.exe to my gaming profile? And then switch back to default when closing that game?

Peace EQ has this feature. I see many others don't have it. Not even sure SteelSeries Sonar has it...

I just don't understand how an EQ cant have this. Like manually switching profiles every single time you start and close a game is just silly. All you need to do is to detect when a specific exe (of my choice) is running or not and then tie it to an EQ profile (of my choice).
Maxwell does not have this feature. I can see how this feature would be useful. It requires an app running on the PC to monitor the games running and then send a message to headset to switch the EQ profile. Since PeaceEQ runs in the PC and also does the EQ is the PC, this is easier to implement. With headsets like Maxwell, it needs to be sent to the headset over USB or wireless dongle.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #307 of 4,477
Maxwell does not have this feature. I can see how this feature would be useful. It requires an app running on the PC to monitor the games running and then send a message to headset to switch the EQ profile. Since PeaceEQ runs in the PC and also does the EQ is the PC, this is easier to implement. With headsets like Maxwell, it needs to be sent to the headset over USB or wireless dongle.
But the software does have EQ profiles? Mobius has this? I click on the profile in the PC app and it sends that info to the headset? So the only missing part is detecting the exe file on the PC?..

The headset does not need to know what game I'm playing. So this seems pretty easy and straight forward to me. Or are you saying there is no EQ or even Profiles in the PC app at all now? That's a step backwards even from the extremely lacking functionality from the Mobius headset software.

Also currently I'm having a big issue with the Mobius headset and some specific games. IF for any reason the headset "powers off", the Overwatch game loses its sound device and completely freezes. This has happened to me multiple times (just a few hours ago). I had to reboot my PC and then hurry back into the game before getting banned for leaving. And the issue is there because every time the Mobius is turned off, the device in Windows -> Sound in the control panel disappears completely.

Suggestion: Don't remove the device in Windows even if its disconnected.

Attachments

• nnQPTyf.png
    nnQPTyf.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #309 of 4,477
But the software does have EQ profiles? Mobius has this? I click on the profile in the PC app and it sends that info to the headset? So the only missing part is detecting the exe file on the PC?..

The headset does not need to know what game I'm playing. So this seems pretty easy and straight forward to me. Or are you saying there is no EQ or even Profiles in the PC app at all now? That's a step backwards even from the extremely lacking functionality from the Mobius headset software.

Also currently I'm having a big issue with the Mobius headset and some specific games. IF for any reason the headset "powers off", the Overwatch game loses its sound device and completely freezes. This has happened to me multiple times (just a few hours ago). I had to reboot my PC and then hurry back into the game before getting banned for leaving. And the issue is there because every time the Mobius is turned off, the device in Windows -> Sound in the control panel disappears completely.

This was already answered pages ago. The answer is yes. There are plenty of presets like Mobius + 4 free slots for user customizable presets you can load in with Audeze HQ.

When can we expect reviews to go live? @Audeze

This was also answered prior. We don't have a timeframe other than soon.

It wouldn't make sense to push out any reviews when the firmware is not even finalized. Things are rapidly changing, and someone providing a review now would not reflect what is possible on release.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #310 of 4,477
This was already answered pages ago. The answer is yes. There are plenty of presets like Mobius + 4 free slots for user customizable presets you can load in with Audeze HQ.

This was also answered prior. We don't have a timeframe other than soon.

It wouldn't make sense to push out any reviews when the firmware is not even finalized. Things are rapidly changing, and someone providing a review now would not reflect what is possible on release.
So then the previous answer by xsankar didn't really make any sense? Its not that hard to implement the auto switching EQ settings?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...-gaming-headsets.966020/page-20#post-17321039

Also You seemed to completly ignored the other issue. I can repeat it.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #311 of 4,477
So then the previous answer by xsankar didn't really make any sense? Its not that hard to implement the auto switching EQ settings?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...-gaming-headsets.966020/page-20#post-17321039

Also You seemed to completely ignored the other issue. I can repeat it.

What you're asking is different from what we have implemented. We do not have auto switching. We have Audeze specific presets built into the headset firmware, and 4 free slots that you can tweak on the software, then load them onto the headset, like it was on Penrose. You customize, save the preset, load it onto the headset, and it saves to memory. Then when you want to adjust/make a new Preset, you have to load it on the headset again.

For your issues, please contact support@audeze.com.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #312 of 4,477
Here's one more question regarding the firmware: While I'm optimistic about the range, can the reconnect voice announcements be disabled on the Maxwell? The Penrose reconnects were not only frequent, but the announcements also made them frustratingly annoying, especially when you went into a zone with mediocre range, they just kept repeating in a permanent loop and at relatively high volume. That's how people go crazy... just kidding. A soft low volume notification sound (no beep) can be recognized just as well by users, similar to what's available on Android phones for notification sounds. Something smooth and subtle...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #313 of 4,477
What you're asking is different from what we have implemented. We do not have auto switching. We have Audeze specific presets built into the headset firmware, and 4 free slots that you can tweak on the software, then load them onto the headset, like it was on Penrose. You customize, save the preset, load it onto the headset, and it saves to memory. Then when you want to adjust/make a new Preset, you have to load it on the headset again.

For your issues, please contact support@audeze.com.
Yea I know its different. That's why I bring it up. Im giving you a suggestion on how to improve.
We sent people to the moon in 1969 but we cant have auto switching EQ profiles in 2023? Like why is this even a debate? Its a no brainer.

If I currently have The "Flat" profile selected in my AudezeHQ software on my PC and then press the "Music" profile, the software sends that signal to the headset and it then switches profile. So The only thing missing in the AudezeHQ is exe detection code. And that part is the easy part.

So what exactly is the reason for not having it? Are you guys not gamers? Do you expect people to keep switching profiles manually all day long? Why even bother with AudezeHQ at all when there are better ones like Peace EQ anyway? Just save the money if you just gonna put the minimal effort in to it. Like just look at the options for the Mobius and compare it to Sonar or Razer.

I mean this is a gaming headset right? I want to have different profiles for different games, music and movies. If I play competetive FPS I want to hear footsteps. If I play single player I want something different and same goes for music and movies. You expect me to pressing buttons and opening software and switching manually every time I start or close a game?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #314 of 4,477
Here's one more question regarding the firmware: While I'm optimistic about the range, can the reconnect voice announcements be disabled on the Maxwell? The Penrose reconnects were not only frequent, but the announcements also made them frustratingly annoying, especially when you went into a zone with mediocre range, they just kept repeating in a permanent loop and at relatively high volume. That's how people go crazy... just kidding. A soft low volume notification sound (no beep) can be recognized just as well by users, similar to what's available on Android phones for notification sounds. Something smooth and subtle...
There is a voice prompt volume slider on the app, and that issue was specific to the Penrose and its related chipset. Maxwell is not the Penrose, and you should not expect any Penrose specific firmware related issues to appear on Maxwell.

Dec 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #315 of 4,477
Yea I know its different. That's why I bring it up. Im giving you a suggestion on how to improve.
We sent people to the moon in 1969 but we cant have auto switching EQ profiles in 2023? Like why is this even a debate? Its a no brainer.

If I currently have The "Flat" profile selected in my AudezeHQ software on my PC and then press the "Music" profile, the software sends that signal to the headset and it then switches profile. So The only thing missing in the AudezeHQ is exe detection code. And that part is the easy part.

So what exactly is the reason for not having it? Are you guys not gamers? Do you expect people to keep switching profiles manually all day long? Why even bother with AudezeHQ at all when there are better ones like Peace EQ anyway? Just save the money if you just gonna put the minimal effort in to it. Like just look at the options for the Mobius and compare it to Sonar or Razer.

I mean this is a gaming headset right? I want to have different profiles for different games, music and movies. If I play competetive FPS I want to hear footsteps. If I play single player I want something different and same goes for music and movies. You expect me to pressing buttons and opening software and switching manually every time I start or close a game?
I understand your frustration, yet I think I have never seen a headset with that feature. AFAIR not Corsair, not Steelseries, not HyperX, can't remember if even Razer has it it their app.
In fact, I'm looking at my Sound Blaster X G6 gaming dac/amp software right now and it has game-specific EQ presets but not .exe detection for auto switching. And we are talking about a fully PC-oriented audio peripheral and software suite. Which is WEIRD.
It would be nice to know why, because I agree that checking every now and then whether game.exe is launched is not that hard, neither in code or in system resources.

However I understand the approach that Audeze is following this time. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like they would upload and store the profiles in the headset and let you switch them on demand, either with a button press or from the app, rather than making the EQ fully dependent on some software like most PC headsets. This means you can have a number of predefined EQ presets and 4 custom ones for your favourite games and you can change from one to the other without having to open any software. Which is perfectly fine for most console and PC users and while not perfect, still better than the competition.

I think that while it's not the most flexible way of doing things, it's a nice compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back