Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Dec 27, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #286 of 4,477
It's actually surprising how many people want to use these as a strictly bluetooth headphone. Are you not worried about the codec support? The Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 is a Snapdragon sound device so it has the full set of the aptX codecs, so the bluetooth quality is top tier. It looks like the Maxwell supports AAC, but it doesn't seem particularly equipped with the full bluetooth codec suite.
While AptX will be missed, the Maxwell do support LDAC which is way better than AptX HD as far as I know so if your smartphone or PC is compatible, you are getting better audio.

Dec 27, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #287 of 4,477
It's actually surprising how many people want to use these as a strictly bluetooth headphone. Are you not worried about the codec support? The Edifier STAX SPIRIT S3 is a Snapdragon sound device so it has the full set of the aptX codecs, so the bluetooth quality is top tier. It looks like the Maxwell supports AAC, but it doesn't seem particularly equipped with the full bluetooth codec suite.

I'm also curious from Audeze's POV on the tuning. I pre-ordered these with the assumption they are tuned for gaming, but curious if the tuning is more the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" approach to tuning the drivers.

I use a FiiO BTA30 Pro with my PC and these have LDAC, so that'll work for me. I'll also use them with my phone, but it's an iPhone so I'm limited to AAC regardless. I'm sure the latest aptx codec support would be useful for some depending on their devices, but I'm not convinced it's better than LDAC in quality

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #288 of 4,477

I'm also curious from Audeze's POV on the tuning. I pre-ordered these with the assumption they are tuned for gaming, but curious if the tuning is more the "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" approach to tuning the drivers.
It supports SBC, AAC, LDAC, LC3, AND LC3plus according to the product page. I'm quite sure the there will be nothing lacking in the codec dept for a few years

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #289 of 4,477
I use a FiiO BTA30 Pro with my PC and these have LDAC, so that'll work for me. I'll also use them with my phone, but it's an iPhone so I'm limited to AAC regardless. I'm sure the latest aptx codec support would be useful for some depending on their devices, but I'm not convinced it's better than LDAC in quality
That's fair. If you're an iPhone user than it doesn't matter, but I do believe aptX is better than LDAC for general use. While LDAC allows for higher bitrate/higher peak quality, aptX is far more reliable and can operate under a band of rates vs have 3 fixed rates like LDAC. Also, aptX has far less latency, so if you watch a lot of videos or play mobile games aptX will be much better at ensuring audio isn't noticeable out of sync with video.

LDAC sounds better when it's not jittery, but aptX is far smoother and reliable. Just my opinion though.

Dec 28, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #290 of 4,477
That's fair. If you're an iPhone user than it doesn't matter, but I do believe aptX is better than LDAC for general use. While LDAC allows for higher bitrate/higher peak quality, aptX is far more reliable and can operate under a band of rates vs have 3 fixed rates like LDAC. Also, aptX has far less latency, so if you watch a lot of videos or play mobile games aptX will be much better at ensuring audio isn't noticeable out of sync with video.

LDAC sounds better when it's not jittery, but aptX is far smoother and reliable. Just my opinion though.

Another factor here for me is that the BTA30 Pro has much more reliable and stronger transmission of LDAC at the highest setting than the smartphones I've used with LDAC. I have a small, one-level house and I'm good in every room except the sunroom and the corner of the kitchen.

But yeah it's definitely gonna depend on how you want to use it whether LDAC will work for you. Luckily with the Maxwell you also have the dongle, which should be high quality and low latency.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #291 of 4,477
I'd be very interested in this headset if it supported Tempest 3D audio for PS5. I've used many virtual surround sound engines/processors, and I think Tempest 3D sounds far better than any of them, including SBX and Dolby Headphone.

Dec 28, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #293 of 4,477
I'd be very interested in this headset if it supported Tempest 3D audio for PS5. I've used many virtual surround sound engines/processors, and I think Tempest 3D sounds far better than any of them, including SBX and Dolby Headphone.
The ps5 version does, and tempest 3d audio works with every pair of headphones connected to the ps5. Even a pair connected via the controllers 3.5 jack

Edit: the Xbox version also works with the PS5 when on pc mode and will also support tempest audio (though Audeze doesn't advertise that part)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #295 of 4,477
the Xbox version also works with the PS5 when on pc mode and will also support tempest audio (though Audeze doesn't advertise that part)
The Xbox-version should also work in PC-mode for Tempest like any other USB-headset.

Thanks for the tip! As someone who owns both consoles, Audeze really should advertise this.

Dec 28, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #297 of 4,477
Thanks for the tip! As someone who owns both consoles, Audeze really should advertise this.

I guess Sony and Microsoft wont embrace that. :wink:
It's what udd3n said. Also, at least for the Penrose, they said there's no official support for the PlayStation on the Xbox version because if something breaks later, they can't be held responsible.

Dec 28, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #298 of 4,477
They've discussed this in the thread and it's the first question in the FAQ on their site. Unlike the Penrose, it looks like there will be some differences between the versions (i.e. the Xbox version will not be as loud on PS5 and the controls will be slightly off). If this is important to you, I recommend searching through the thread for Audeze's comments.

I believe they recommended people stick with the PS version unless they have an Xbox (i.e. if you're buying for PC, get the PS version).

Dec 28, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #300 of 4,477
Steel Series says subtly PS5 compatibility regarding their wired Xbox Nova Pros working with PS5. I actually think Audeze is being transparent, if Im not mistaken, @Madlust even suggested purchasing the Xbox Maxwell if one owns both consoles.
Someone on here said it would lose something though when being used on the PS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back