Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Apr 22, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #3,076 of 4,474
Update on Maxwell shipments, and firmware news.

Some Xbox units were recently shipped, however, we don’t expect to have all backordered Maxwell Xbox shipping until early May. This shipment should take care of all current orders (meaning direct customers, dealers, and distributors worldwide). New Xbox orders will be available in June. Maxwell PS orders placed before mid-April should ship with our mid-May fulfillment. Orders made after that time will be fulfilled in June.

Please note that we’re only referring to our shipping dates – how an international distributor wants their product shipped affects the total shipping time (for example, if they picked ocean freight instead of air). Many international distributors already received some of their original orders, but immediately sold out, however, the balance of these orders should be satisfied by the mid-May shipments.

The response to Maxwell has been overwhelming, and we’re ramping up production as fast as we can.

On a different subject, we expect to release new Maxwell firmware in about a week, and implement the custom EQ section of our PC and Mac apps about a week after that.

Many thanks for your support.

Thanks for the update on shipments! I placed my order March 10 (Maxwell PS), so I'm hoping that it will arrive 2nd half of May.

The latest update from the reseller (hifiklubben Sweden) said May 17th.

Currently, I'm using your Audeze Penrose which I love. But Maxwell is even better at almost everything it seems, with an insane battery time!

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #3,077 of 4,474
Thanks for the update on shipments! I placed my order March 10 (Maxwell PS), so I'm hoping that it will arrive 2nd half of May.

The latest update from the reseller (hifiklubben Sweden) said May 17th.

Currently, I'm using your Audeze Penrose which I love. But Maxwell is even better at almost everything it seems, with an insane battery time!
They claim May 3 on their website now.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #3,078 of 4,474
They claim May 3 on their website now.
Yeah, this is ridiculous... It gets delayed week after week. Better to have postponed the announcement than to promise dates and keep postponing them.

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #3,079 of 4,474
So after about four and quarter hour gaming session last night wearing the Maxwells, I can say that the comfort, at least for me, is middling at best. My ears do notice the drivers on the inside after prolonged wear. The cups are just a bit shallow for my head I guess. Spectacle pinch and the hot spot on the top of my head combined with my ears touching the drivers does lead to fatigue. The sound is still incredible and so I enjoy using them. But deeper pads and a better head band would be a big improvement, in my case anyways. It's not unbearable, but certainly not the kind of headphone I can wear for hours and not feel fatigue. Probably after about an hour or so they start to feel heavy and uncomfortable. This is much how my HifiMan Sundara's are. My HD600s I can wear for much longer without too much discomfort.
Adjusting the headband from the two middle holes really didnt do much, they are most comfortable in the middle for me.

tl;dr opinion: If the sound for gaming is above average, the comfort is below average certainly. For me it's not a deal breaker, as the convenience of wireless is also nice.

Apr 22, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #3,081 of 4,474
Sorry for an extremely basic question… Other than adjusting the strap with the three set of holes, is there any way to adjust the size of the headband? When I try to pull on the headband like you would on any other headphone that seems to do nothing. Would be strange if the only adjustment possible was the inner strap…

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #3,082 of 4,474
Sorry for an extremely basic question… Other than adjusting the strap with the three set of holes, is there any way to adjust the size of the headband? When I try to pull on the headband like you would on any other headphone that seems to do nothing. Would be strange if the only adjustment possible was the inner strap…
You can try moving one side of the strap to the top of the holes and keeping the other in the middle. I have a small head so I had to do that. Other wise it was to loose. Hope that helps

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #3,083 of 4,474
You can try moving one side of the strap to the top of the holes and keeping the other in the middle. I have a small head so I had to do that. Other wise it was to loose. Hope that helps
Yeah, I just did that and it helps, thanks!

I am really surprised the Maxwell headband is not adjustable and only the strap is adjustable. That’s an odd design choice.

Apr 23, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #3,084 of 4,474
I’m hearing that the soundstage and positioning audio for FPS games isn’t great and one person says it’s not as accurate as the Penrose. Is it really that bad? I’m a bit worried as I sold my Nova Pro Wireless already to fund these new Maxwell’s.

I use the Penrose and had no problems in FPS games and would win quite a few battle royale’s on PS5.

Can anyone give their opinions?

Apr 23, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #3,085 of 4,474
Good morning,
First of all, thank you to @Audeze for this magnificent helmet.
However, I will be using it on XBOX and PC so I have two questions please:
1/ In order to avoid disconnecting/reconnecting the dongle, can I use a usb switch?
2/ In your opinion, by using a switch, will I lose audio quality?

Thank you in advance for your answers
@Audeze Hello, please answer me. THANKS

Apr 23, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #3,086 of 4,474
I’m hearing that the soundstage and positioning audio for FPS games isn’t great and one person says it’s not as accurate as the Penrose. Is it really that bad? I’m a bit worried as I sold my Nova Pro Wireless already to fund these new Maxwell’s.

I use the Penrose and had no problems in FPS games and would win quite a few battle royale’s on PS5.

Can anyone give their opinions?

Yea the reviewers seems to have a hard time explaining what they think when comparing headsets. Its like they don't want to step on anyone's toes so they are being very vague. Like I've seen three videos of one specific reviewer and I still don't know which one to buy. Because they are so ecstatic in the first video and then less so when comparing. And then a new headset comes out and all the suddenly this one is a tiny amount better in FPS. But not enough for you to switch in his opinion.

Like. GIVE US A NUMBER from 0-100 or something. Like how much better is something? What does "a little" mean?
I mean when someone says "Its not worth switching out X for Y", it tells me very little. The worth will depend on who you talking to. If you have a billion dollars then 0.001% difference might be worth it. If you are a pro gamer then 1% might be worth it.

Like if someone says X is a little better than Y in FPS games then I have to figure out how much is "a little" for you? Is 10p in a scale from 0-100 a little? Because then, the difference is not little in my opinion.

Example:
FPS: 85
Music: 95
Movies: 95
Software: 50

All I'm saying is, there is a reason why many reviewers actually use a point system. So we can see the difference based on numbers rather than trying to figure out what the words you use actually means.

Edit: Here is a better example from "soundguys"
https://i.imgur.com/0FDf5Sz.png

Attachments

• brave_JOPn8AeIDW.png
    brave_JOPn8AeIDW.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #3,088 of 4,474
Yea the reviewers seems to have a hard time explaining what they think when comparing headsets. Its like they don't want to step on anyone's toes so they are being very vague. Like I've seen three videos of one specific reviewer and I still don't know which one to buy. Because they are so ecstatic in the first video and then less so when comparing. And then a new headset comes out and all the suddenly this one is a tiny amount better in FPS. But not enough for you to switch in his opinion.

Like. GIVE US A NUMBER from 0-100 or something. Like how much better is something? What does "a little" mean?
I mean when someone says "Its not worth switching out X for Y", it tells me very little. The worth will depend on who you talking to. If you have a billion dollars then 0.001% difference might be worth it. If you are a pro gamer then 1% might be worth it.

Like if someone says X is a little better than Y in FPS games then I have to figure out how much is "a little" for you? Is 10p in a scale from 0-100 a little? Because then, the difference is not little in my opinion.

Example:
FPS: 85
Music: 95
Movies: 95
Software: 50

All I'm saying is, there is a reason why many reviewers actually use a point system. So we can see the difference based on numbers rather than trying to figure out what the words you use actually means.

Edit: Here is a better example from "soundguys"
https://i.imgur.com/0FDf5Sz.png

they run their "business" by making you want to buy every single thing if possible, with affiliate links and sponsors... being vague is their business. also, you can't measure it anyway, it is different for everyone. the only way is to compare it yourself. they only describe the comfort in a decent manner, and even that depends on each individual's head.

everyone is raving about the HD800 and 800S humongous soundstage, I bought the 800S, and i was like "dude, where is the soundstage ?".
everyone found the bose qc series and the klipsh HP3 very comfortable, while I can't stand them for more than 10 minutes.

now when I read or watch reviews, I only check the overall sound signature, the brand's marketing material for the product, and if it has basic comfort at least. then I will put it in the list of "things to try" :D

Apr 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #3,089 of 4,474
Yeah, I just did that and it helps, thanks!

I am really surprised the Maxwell headband is not adjustable and only the strap is adjustable. That’s an odd design choice.

The lack of extendable arms on the headband isn't that odd, I can think of a number of headphones like that, but generally you'd have an elastic suspension strap, rather than one with fixed points like the Maxwell. The advantage of the Maxwell system is that it shouldn't wear out over time the way elastic suspension straps do and there are fewer points of failure, but it does also mean there's a bit of an issue with in-between head sizes

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #3,090 of 4,474
they run their "business" by making you want to buy every single thing if possible, with affiliate links and sponsors... being vague is their business. also, you can't measure it anyway, it is different for everyone. the only way is to compare it yourself. they only describe the comfort in a decent manner, and even that depends on each individual's head.

everyone is raving about the HD800 and 800S humongous soundstage, I bought the 800S, and i was like "dude, where is the soundstage ?".
everyone found the bose qc series and the klipsh HP3 very comfortable, while I can't stand them for more than 10 minutes.

now when I read or watch reviews, I only check the overall sound signature, the brand's marketing material for the product, and if it has basic comfort at least. then I will put it in the list of "things to try" :D

Well u read/watch a review to get their honest opinion. Then you compare those with all the reviews u find. If they start giving a score u can then compare those scores with each review. But if they only use words, its hard to compare "small difference". :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back