Audeze - Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v63 and HQ v107 beta on June/12/24)
Mar 20, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #2,657 of 4,477
They might need to clarify how it changed but people have been asking for that feature for a while, and since it was even present in Audeze's previous gaming headphones, Penrose. Why remove something users want just to match an internal Audeze specification? I understand that something like that could introduce noise and although I have had the penrose and appreciated the feature myself but didn't use it much, I'd rather have it than not. Having a single pair of headphones on your head to create a private audio environment instead of speakers is a wonderful prospect.

I don't think the lack of simultaneous playback for certain inputs is a result of some internal Audeze specification, I think it's a technical limitation beyond Audeze's control given the components they used. That's why they were able to enable it for certain input combinations and not others. The Penrose was probably different because the dongle didn't use Bluetooth and the headphones likely used a different chipset all together, but Penrose also had worse stability and range than the Maxwell and lacked some other features.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,658 of 4,477
I don't think the lack of simultaneous playback for certain inputs is a result of some internal Audeze specification, I think it's a technical limitation beyond Audeze's control given the components they used. That's why they were able to enable it for certain input combinations and not others. The Penrose was probably different because the dongle didn't use Bluetooth and the headphones likely used a different chipset all together, but Penrose also had worse stability and range than the Maxwell and lacked some other features.
Yeah I think the issue is Bluetooth. You'd essentially need two different radios to switch between inputs, I think. The limitations we're seeing are related to Bluetooth multipoint if I had to guess. I've never seen any Bluetooth devices that let you pick between two Bluetooth inputs. So the connection stability we're getting from Bluetooth is the reason you can't do that switch. Tradeoffs I guess. It makes so much more sense knowing that the dongle uses Bluetooth.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #2,659 of 4,477
Another note. Before this update, simultaneous Aux+Dongle worked for me. Not only that, but bluetooth (as long as it wasn't LDAC as it stuttered) played simultaneously to Aux, and interrupted the dongle when playing. Since it was working, it seems like Aux+Dongle simultaneously should be possible, which would allow setups like using a PC and a console at the same time. I don't understand the logic of disabling that 'feature/bug'. To be fair, what didn't work is that while bluetooth audio was playing with the three connections, it would 'stutter' if bluetooth audio was high quality (LDAC). However, now you no longer get audio at all from the dongle if aux is connected, but bluetooth audio still 'stutters'.
Again, don't understand why we can't get the following behavior, since it was (mostly) working before.
Aux+Dongle=Simultaneous play
Aux+bluetooth=Simulataneous play
Bluetooth interrupts the Dongle when playing and still plays simultaneously to aux.
I'll forward your issues to the fw engineers. IIRC, It should be behaving as before: BT audio should interrupt PC audio. But BT audio should not interrupt PS5 audio unless it's a phone call or anything using HFP.

And Aux interrupting all but BT is by design. We built it as a priority system, so it is as intended. Leaving it as before causes issues elsewhere. So, we may not make you happy and we're sorry we can't accommodate everyone, but the priority system is what was best for us in terms of development of Maxwell and what was logical for us, and what will have to be.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #2,660 of 4,477
I'll forward your issues to the fw engineers. IIRC, It should be behaving as before: BT audio should interrupt PC audio. But BT audio should not interrupt PS5 audio unless it's a phone call or anything using HFP.

And Aux interrupting all but BT is by design. We built it as a priority system, so it is as intended. Leaving it as before causes issues elsewhere. So, we may not make you happy, but the priority system is what was best for us in terms of development of Maxwell, and what will remain.
Got it and I understand, but besides the PC issue, will Bluetooth stutter be fixed if the above setup happens? (Dongle connected (but no output) + simultaneous Aux and bluetooth). Currently the only way to make this work is unplugging the dongle, or disabling LDAC audio. Otherwise Bluetooth stutters.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,661 of 4,477
Got it and I understand, but besides the PC issue, will Bluetooth stutter be fixed if the above setup happens? (Dongle connected (but no output) + simultaneous Aux and bluetooth). Currently the only way to make this work is unplugging the dongle, or disabling LDAC audio. Otherwise Bluetooth stutters.
Did you update? V38 should have LDAC working. LDAC stutter was only an issue with initial release. That's why we mentioned LDAC working in our very first update patch.

Make sure everything is updated properly. Even the dongle needs to be updated separately. As noted, the update may say 'failed' in HQ, but as long as it shows the correct version afterward, it went through.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #2,662 of 4,477
Did you update? V38 should have LDAC working. LDAC stutter was only an issue with initial release. That's why we mentioned LDAC working in our very first update patch.
Yes, I'm on the latest. Like I said, this doesn't happen if you have Aux+bluetooth or USB-C plus bluetooth. It only happens if you also have the dongle powered on while having this setup.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #2,663 of 4,477
I agree that the Maxwell headphones are pretty impressive, but as someone who takes their tech seriously, I always think there's room for improvement. While the single and double-click features are handy, I'm surprised that there isn't a button to switch between inputs. It would be great if the developers took note of user feedback on forums, as many people want to be able to use both their dongle and Bluetooth devices at the same time or switch between them more easily.

I'm sorry I'm just being as honest as I can and haven't had my coffee yet. These are the best bluetooth/gaming connected headphones I've ever owned so far, but I need to spend more time with them on my head to maintain that praise as these issues do exist and I'm sure there are more.

No doubt man, it's totally valid to find some faults, nothing is perfect!

For me, the main issue I have found so far is getting the fit right, because the band isn't fully adjustable/flexible, but I've found something that works and is giving me the experience I expected.

I also don't rely on the headset for anything other than gaming on my PS5(/Xbox via AUX), so my use case is pretty different and things like multi-source audio simply won't impact my usage - although I would have preferred it there as it was a feature on the Penrose.

I'm sure over time there will be other niggles that arise, but in the main, I think Audeze has absolutely nailed it with the Maxwell.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,664 of 4,477
Please try and update again (double press the device firmware version to display the update button. Do it on both.

The fact you're on V38 and are getting BT not taking over PC, and still having the LDAC issue shows me your update isn't going through properly, or have lingering old drivers.

please contact support@audeze.com, I'll have you try something. Contact us AFTER re-trying the firmware install.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #2,665 of 4,477
appreciate passing on my earlier comments. Honestly I love this headset so far! my biggest issue is long day comfort but I'm probably an oddity that wants to wear them all day long (work and play) to have private audio all day long and wireless. They are the best you can get for checking off every box technically right now. If you guys added that one extra set of functions (switching inputs if you really want to change from priority based) even without simultaneous audio, these would check off every box I would want. I own a pair of LCD3's Mobius, Penrose, Maxwell, LCD2, LCDx and LCDGX and Its probably time to pass on my GX, Mobius and Penrose as these are pretty much superior to them all (other than open back gx has better sound stage). The fact these are 300$ they are basically entry level Audeze but boy did you up your game for entry level. I will never buy another steelseries garbage headset for the remainder of my life - nothing but problems across the board. I'm a little leary upgrading the firmware though if I can help it. If anyone remembers what happened with the Drop Pandas, where they basically bricked on the last update. I want to be able to control what firmware I run and not be forced to stay on a certain version if I can help it. Is it possible to downgrade to an older firmware after you've upgraded? (Thanks again for answering our questions etc)

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,666 of 4,477
You cannot roll back to an older firmware at this time. We have firmware re-installation being possible. Unless there is some imminent emergency where we have to roll back firmware, I do not see that being implemented. Essentially, it's not planned.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,667 of 4,477
Please try and update again (double press the device firmware version to display the update button. Do it on both.

The fact you're on V38 and are getting BT not taking over PC, and still having the LDAC issue shows me your update isn't going through properly, or have lingering old drivers.

please contact support@audeze.com, I'll have you try something. Contact us AFTER re-trying the firmware install.
Thanks, your suggestion worked, I was on v38 but reinstalling the firmware fixed both issues, even though Audeze HQ reported I was on v38. Also, this time, the dongle didn't report the 'fail' error message that everyone else was reporting. So this is awesome and provides a way for me to have all of my 3 devices connected at the same time.

So I guess this brings it in line with the 'expected' behavior. My only remaining issue is the sidetone noise (which I know you are still working on).

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #2,668 of 4,477
I'm glad to hear it fixed your issues.

Kinda weird, as those issues are like from v35. And thanks for letting me know about the update not fully going through last time.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2,669 of 4,477
I'm glad to hear it fixed your issues.

Kinda weird, as those issues are like from v35. And thanks for letting me know about the update not fully going through last time.
I didn't mention as the dongle reported the update failed, but reconnected and showed v38. I think you or an Audeze rep here or on reddit had mentioned that that was a bug with the software notification and if the v38 firmware showed for the dongle in the software then it was considered successful? I just assumed that was an issue everyone had seen when they upgraded to v38. My headset upgrade went through fine though the first time.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #2,670 of 4,477
It's an issue a few people get, but is not widespread. I've always had issues with my laptop USB ports, though it's just my assumption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back