Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 23, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #4,261 of 4,444
Has anyone measured or traced the inner headband on the Maxwell? I have my own pair coming on backorder and I've been playing around with leather tools while repairing some of my stuff.

It struck me that I could help pass the time waiting on my Maxwells by experimenting with making some straps.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #4,262 of 4,444

(Updated on 1-23-24) Maxwell Firmware Update V56 & Audeze HQ Update V86​

Today we have a firmware update for Maxwell available through an updated Audeze HQ app, with feature updates and bug fixes to improve your gaming experience.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please upgrade to the latest Version 86 of Audeze HQ before you install the firmware update. Be aware that this firmware release may require you to re-pair the wireless dongle to your headset after installation. Read our support article on how to re-pair here. Please email us at support@audeze.com if you have any questions.

Download the latest version of Audeze HQ for Windows or MacOS

Maxwell Version 56 - Full Update Notes

Audeze HQ Version 86 - Full Update Notes

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #4,267 of 4,444
Hi.

How are these for movies and series? I now use b&w px8 and fiio btra 30 pro with and lg c2 tv. 😃
Late response but looks like no one replied to you (that I can see):

They're okaaaay.

Personally, I have a hard time being satisfied with headphones for movies coming from a soundbar (and not a super nice one, either). The way most movies are mixed (TV maybe less so) the sound over headphones can come across very flat and voices will often seem to be coming from the wrong place mixing down from 5.1 or above to stereo.

I wouldn't blame that on the Maxwell for any of that, though the Maxwell's lack of dynamics probably doesn't help with the "flat" sound.

In terms of latency, the Maxwell is very good and way better than any Bluetooth solution over the 2.4ghz dongle.

I have no experience with the B&w PX8 but unless it has a really small soundstage, I wouldn't imagine the experience sound quality wise would be substantially better or worse IMO.

Latency would be a big win (I'm assuming that Fio device maybe supports AptX LL?). If not, it'd be an even bigger win as the latency of most Bluetooth codecs is abysmal.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #4,268 of 4,444
Maxwell Firmware Update V56
Installed the HQ and firmware update, the first thing I noticed was the change of noise in sidetone. Now at 100% there is almost no noise and at the same time I can hear my voice and everything that is going on around me. Good job Audeze! I hope now those who complained about noise will be satisfied. Continuing testing.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #4,269 of 4,444
Late response but looks like no one replied to you (that I can see):

They're okaaaay.

Personally, I have a hard time being satisfied with headphones for movies coming from a soundbar (and not a super nice one, either). The way most movies are mixed (TV maybe less so) the sound over headphones can come across very flat and voices will often seem to be coming from the wrong place mixing down from 5.1 or above to stereo.

I wouldn't blame that on the Maxwell for any of that, though the Maxwell's lack of dynamics probably doesn't help with the "flat" sound.

In terms of latency, the Maxwell is very good and way better than any Bluetooth solution over the 2.4ghz dongle.

I have no experience with the B&w PX8 but unless it has a really small soundstage, I wouldn't imagine the experience sound quality wise would be substantially better or worse IMO.

Latency would be a big win (I'm assuming that Fio device maybe supports AptX LL?). If not, it'd be an even bigger win as the latency of most Bluetooth codecs is abysmal.

Tnx for the reply.😊👍 I got the the Maxwell, and think they sound very good. Havent tried so much for movies yet. But one thing i guess i would want for movies with these, are more bass. I use them with fiio btr 30.

I have one problem with these, and that is the volume button. Its really poor. When im scrolling up or down on the volume, it doesnt always work. Have to press hard sometimes too

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #4,270 of 4,444
Tnx for the reply.😊👍 I got the the Maxwell, and think they sound very good. Havent tried so much for movies yet. But one thing i guess i would want for movies with these, are more bass. I use them with fiio btr 30.

I have one problem with these, and that is the volume button. Its really poor. When im scrolling up or down on the volume, it doesnt always work. Have to press hard sometimes too

Wicked Cushions + pumping up the 32Hz band works pretty well for sub-bass.

I saw this Audeze HQ app EQ posted elsewhere for use with WC pads (from low to high frequencies):

5dB

-1dB

-1dB

-1dB

-3dB

-1dB

-2dB

-1dB

OdB

OdB

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #4,271 of 4,444
Installed the HQ and firmware update, the first thing I noticed was the change of noise in sidetone. Now at 100% there is almost no noise and at the same time I can hear my voice and everything that is going on around me. Good job Audeze! I hope now those who complained about noise will be satisfied. Continuing testing.
Same for me. Sidetone is actually usable now!
I have the impression they implemented a high-pass filter; the low frequencies in the sidetone feedback are reduced as is the constant noisy rumble I had before this update.

The only downer for me is that my Maxwell USB-dongle stopped working in the middle of a session and is not recognized anymore at any usb-port of any of my host-devices (pressing reset pin did not help either) ... I am now using my Maxwell with LDAC-Bluetooth and other Bluetooth transmitters (still very good for music). Since I bought it used, I do not know how to get a replacement dongle (PS or XBox doesn't matter). Any ideas?

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #4,273 of 4,444

The volume wheel sucks! It's unfortunate because the headset feels very premium overall but then every time you adjust the volume and it sounds like something's rattling around inside the cups and it's never smooth to adjust the volume to what you want.

Glad you like them though. There's probably not a better choice on the market now for wireless headphones for gaming/TV.

I really wish movie studios would bring 2.0 mixes back though. It sucks always having 5.1 downsampled.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #4,274 of 4,444
Wicked Cushions + pumping up the 32Hz band works pretty well for sub-bass.

I saw this Audeze HQ app EQ posted elsewhere for use with WC pads (from low to high frequencies):

5dB

-1dB

-1dB

-1dB

-3dB

-1dB

-2dB

-1dB

OdB

OdB
How do you like the Wicked pads? I've seen mixed reactions with some people really having them and vice versa. But this intrigues me.

And how's the isolation compare? Any loss?

One thing Audeze got right is how much passive noise isolation the pads provide. It can be nearly as good as actual ANC for some frequency bands in my experience.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #4,275 of 4,444
Same for me. Sidetone is actually usable now!
I have the impression they implemented a high-pass filter; the low frequencies in the sidetone feedback are reduced as is the constant noisy rumble I had before this update.

The only downer for me is that my Maxwell USB-dongle stopped working in the middle of a session and is not recognized anymore at any usb-port of any of my host-devices (pressing reset pin did not help either) ... I am now using my Maxwell with LDAC-Bluetooth and other Bluetooth transmitters (still very good for music). Since I bought it used, I do not know how to get a replacement dongle (PS or XBox doesn't matter). Any ideas?

EDIT: seems like a larger issue after reading more closely. I'd try to test with another device if you have access to any. Laptop, friend's computer etc.

Maybe try reinstalling USB firmware or seeing if there's an update available also?

OLD COPY:

Probably just needs to be repaired if I had to guess. Audeze posted instructions a while back in the thread.

Some updates require you to repair afterward.

Re-paired, I should say, to avoid confusion

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back