Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 15, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #4,231 of 4,445
I have gone through 3 pairs, with the most recent being purchased a week ago. They all have bad static when sidetone is enabled. It sounds like Audeze is no longer committed to solving this problem. Last time I put in a support ticket, I was told that a certain level of static is "normal" and I should mail them my headset to inspect. No thank you.
Thanks for the info. I'm not really complaining. I only really notice it at the menu when it's quiet, in game barely ever hear it. Don't want to start trying returns, feels too wasteful. Must be just how it is then.

Apart from that one sidetone static issue (and the soundstage being a bit mediocre) it's a very good headset.

I MIGHT sell it and go back to open back wired amp/headphones for gaming though.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #4,232 of 4,445
Is the XBOX version of these Audeze Maxwell headphones (with the Dolby Atmos license) in stock and available for sale anywhere or has the XBOX version been discontinued?

I see the XBOX version listed on headphones.com as "back-order" with no estimated shipping date, but most other retailers that had the XBOX version available for sale previously appear to have taken their listings down completely.

FWIW I want the Audeze Maxwell's entirely for PC use, but want the Dolby Atmos license version for movies.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #4,233 of 4,445
1705432302637.png

In case anyone is confused about production, we will provide some mention of estimates on the US website product page, as show on the screenshot above.

Until we receive shipments and process ALL units to ship, we cannot narrow down the timeframe further.

If you just want a PC only Maxwell, note that you can get the PS Maxwell and buy the Dolby Access license separately from the Microsoft Store. The only reason you NEED an Xbox Maxwell is if you own an Xbox.

If anyone is on Android, the newest Audeze HQ on the Play Store has firmware updates has been added back, and you can even plug in the dongle via type C to an Android device and update the dongle there. When updating firmware, as always, makes sure you update BOTH the headset and dongle.

Note: Headset still must be paired through BT for headset update. Only the dongle updates through the type C port.

Also, EQ changes are now possible without the need to have an audio file playing back on Android.

Due to Apple MFI certifications, firmware updates are not possible on IOS.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #4,234 of 4,445
1705432302637.png

In case anyone is confused about production, we will provide some mention of estimates on the US website product page, as show on the screenshot above.

Until we receive shipments and process ALL units to ship, we cannot narrow down the timeframe further.

If you just want a PC only Maxwell, note that you can get the PS Maxwell and buy the Dolby Access license separately from the Microsoft Store. The only reason you NEED an Xbox Maxwell is if you own an Xbox.

If anyone is on Android, the newest Audeze HQ on the Play Store has firmware updates has been added back, and you can even plug in the dongle via type C to an Android device and update the dongle there. When updating firmware, as always, makes sure you update BOTH the headset and dongle.

Note: Headset still must be paired through BT for headset update. Only the dongle updates through the type C port.

Also, EQ changes are now possible without the need to have an audio file playing back on Android.

So both the Playstation & Xbox versions have a February production run planned, but Audeze hasn't given any indication when those units will actually be in stock and ready to ship?

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #4,235 of 4,445
That's what I mean by we cannot narrow down the timeframe further. So many things can vary from the time of shipment to us, to transit, to customs, to processing and shipping.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #4,236 of 4,445
Is the XBOX version of these Audeze Maxwell headphones (with the Dolby Atmos license) in stock and available for sale anywhere or has the XBOX version been discontinued?

I see the XBOX version listed on headphones.com as "back-order" with no estimated shipping date, but most other retailers that had the XBOX version available for sale previously appear to have taken their listings down completely.

FWIW I want the Audeze Maxwell's entirely for PC use, but want the Dolby Atmos license version for movies.
B&H has a used one for $250

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used..._1120_01_maxwell_wireless_gaming_headset.html

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #4,237 of 4,445
1705432302637.png

Are there any headset firmware updates in the works/pending release?

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #4,238 of 4,445

Headphones.com shows the Xbox version as in stock and shipping now currently.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #4,239 of 4,445
Are there any headset firmware updates in the works/pending release?
Yes, we are still working on firmware releases. We'll have more to say once it's closer to release.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #4,241 of 4,445
You can email us at support@audeze.com if you want to get it inspected, and if we deem it out of tolerance, we can get it replaced under warranty, but it is unlikely any replacements will yield different results as some noise is the expectation and we cannot adjust further.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #4,242 of 4,445
You can email us at support@audeze.com if you want to get it inspected, and if we deem it out of tolerance, we can get it replaced under warranty, but it is unlikely any replacements will yield different results as some noise is the expectation and we cannot adjust further.
I am finding this absolutely mystifying. I have come from the Mobius, and purchased the Audeze Maxwell gaming headset (yes thats the name of the product in the title of this thread - gaming headset) last year, and have just received a replacement pair (after a 3 month wait for them to be in stock) as the almighty crackling sound with sidetone enabled in the first pair clearly seemed like an issue with that headset. The replacement suffers from the exact same issue, and Audeze seem to be pretending that this is a normal level of crackling noise to be expected with the feature?? Well why was there no crackling with the (always enabled) sidetone on the Mobius or Penrose?

The feature should have been removed from the Audeze and the product should have been clearly sold as a closed headset without a sidetone feature. It's completely unusable to me as a headset as a working sidetone feature is essential to me for a gaming headset, especially if the headset is closed back.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #4,243 of 4,445
I am finding this absolutely mystifying. I have come from the Mobius, and purchased the Audeze Maxwell gaming headset (yes thats the name of the product in the title of this thread - gaming headset) last year, and have just received a replacement pair (after a 3 month wait for them to be in stock) as the almighty crackling sound with sidetone enabled in the first pair clearly seemed like an issue with that headset. The replacement suffers from the exact same issue, and Audeze seem to be pretending that this is a normal level of crackling noise to be expected with the feature?? Well why was there no crackling with the (always enabled) sidetone on the Mobius or Penrose?

The feature should have been removed from the Audeze and the product should have been clearly sold as a closed headset without a sidetone feature. It's completely unusable to me as a headset as a working sidetone feature is essential to me for a gaming headset, especially if the headset is closed back.
What're your use conditions when experiencing the crackling? I'm on my 2nd pair but neither of mine had/have this issue. With sidetone on I hear a faint static sound when sidetone volume is high but nothing unexpected for a device that uses microphones to relay sound after filtering out ambiant noises.
I use sidetone a lot and have never heard any kind of crackling with either of mine using the dongle with PS5, Switch, Android phone, Windows tablet or Bluetooth.

Jan 17, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #4,244 of 4,445
On both headsets, with no audio playing, I can hear the static at any sidetone setting from 3% and above. And I don't hear my voice being piped back to a useable level until about 40%-50% at which point the static is unbearable. This is via USB or dongle tested on a mac and a windows pc and via usb, dongle and AUX 3.5mm jack on PS5.

This is with 3 firmware versions on the first headset, and 2 on the newest headset.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #4,245 of 4,445
It did on my original set that lasted 5/6 months. Have you cranked the volume up quickly from cold, using a custom EQ at any point? A mate of mine did exactly that. Afterwards, that's what I heard. Thankfully, he replaced them.

I never turn the volume up too high and no custom EQ.
For my dealer the problem does not exist. Very disappointed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back