Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Nov 6, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #4,156 of 4,444
Oh I should be more specific. Something wireless and closed (but open is also fine) let's call it Audeze LCD 2 closed wireless :wink:
I dunno. I'm certain I'm gonna get some flack for this, but we can't have it  all. People on these boards (myself included) drop more than the Maxwells cost on cabling alone. For a $300 something MSRP, I'd say the Maxwells bat way above their weight class. They're not $1000 planar magnetic headphones--Audeze sells those separately, I own a pair--but I think the point @Mad Lust Envy and Audeze keep on trying to promote here, and it’s a valid point, is that the best spatial audio gaming headphones may not necessarily be the best traditional hifi headphones, not because one sounds better than the other, but because they're aiming to accomplish different things. I love my Maxwells--for gaming and movies--but they're not my primary music headphones, and I never purchased them thinking they would be. As it is, at $900, the GX is really targeting a much more niche audience (gamers + audiophiles that are willing to drop close to a grand on a headset). Could Audeze do a mid-tier version of the Maxwells at maybe a 5 or $600 msrp? I mean, maybe, but it'd sort of be the worst of both worlds: too expensive for entry-level and too low-end for aficionados.

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #4,158 of 4,444
Oh I should be more specific. Something wireless and closed (but open is also fine) let's call it Audeze LCD 2 closed wireless :wink:
I feel like the maxwell already caters to the audiophile crowd if you want a wireless closed back. These things are the best closed back headphones I've heard.

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #4,159 of 4,444
The Edifier Stax Spirit S3 is essentially a closed, Bluetooth Audeze headphone marked for hi-fi, but honestly the Maxwell is a better headphone, especially the build quality. The gamer features of the Maxwell may be superfluous to most non-gamers, but it doesn’t feel like they compromise the audio focused strengths of the Maxwell.

It would be interesting to see a higher end wireless headphone from Audeze, but I’d prefer an open headphone if they did that, like the Ananda BT

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #4,160 of 4,444
It would be interesting to see a higher end wireless headphone from Audeze, but I’d prefer an open headphone if they did that, like the Ananda BT

Wireless headphones are usually used on the go, so I'd prefer it to be closed back, and also lighter, the Maxwell are really heavy...

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #4,161 of 4,444
I dunno. I'm certain I'm gonna get some flack for this, but we can't have it  all. People on these boards (myself included) drop more than the Maxwells cost on cabling alone. For a $300 something MSRP, I'd say the Maxwells bat way above their weight class. They're not $1000 planar magnetic headphones--Audeze sells those separately, I own a pair--but I think the point @Mad Lust Envy and Audeze keep on trying to promote here, and it’s a valid point, is that the best spatial audio gaming headphones may not necessarily be the best traditional hifi headphones, not because one sounds better than the other, but because they're aiming to accomplish different things. I love my Maxwells--for gaming and movies--but they're not my primary music headphones, and I never purchased them thinking they would be. As it is, at $900, the GX is really targeting a much more niche audience (gamers + audiophiles that are willing to drop close to a grand on a headset). Could Audeze do a mid-tier version of the Maxwells at maybe a 5 or $600 msrp? I mean, maybe, but it'd sort of be the worst of both worlds: too expensive for entry-level and too low-end for aficionados.

As a gamer (not an audiophile), I think Maxwell sounds great. BUT I think they have room to adjust them even more towards FPS footsteps and sacrificing the music/movie quality a bit. As a gamer, I rather hear my enemies better than having good music quality. Having both is ofc great, but there are some headsets beating Maxwell on footsteps while still sounding good enough for a gamer for music too.

Mine broke tho, been waiting since mid-September for a replacement… It's slow...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #4,162 of 4,444
As a gamer (not an audiophile), I think Maxwell sounds great. BUT I think they have room to adjust them even more towards FPS footsteps and sacrificing the music/movie quality a bit. As a gamer, I rather hear my enemies better than having good music quality. Having both is ofc great but there are some headsets beating Maxwell on footsteps while still sounding good enough for a gamer for music too.
Smaller niche though I suppose than the average gamer (non-competitive). I'm a fairly hardcore gamer but not so bothered about competitive gaming so I'd pick overall sound quality over footsteps etc. Any day. Very handy how easy it is to switch to different devices with these too. Never had a Bluetooth headset connect so fast without fuss. Although Windows has it's own BT problems..

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #4,163 of 4,444
Wireless headphones are usually used on the go, so I'd prefer it to be closed back, and also lighter, the Maxwell are really heavy...
As someone with two cats and a toddler, I firmly disagree. College-aged me had wired everything. Parent-aged me could never have a gaming setup that wasn't wireless. If nothing else it makes storing accessories really easy. I keep my Maxwells in a padded case in a drawer when I'm not actively running them. Saves having to unplug and disconnect everything.

Nov 13, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #4,164 of 4,444
After three months right speaker of my Maxwells started to rattle from the slightest head movement or touch of the cup. Even swallowing makes the right speaker rattle. It just suddenly started happening when I was listening to music.

Issue is mechanical and happens even when phones are turned off. I've read it's caused by the air pressure build up inside the closed planar driver and is a common design fault of Audeze Planar drivers.

The rattle is so bad that it's impossible for me to listen to my Maxwells so I'm returning them to my dealer for warranty service.

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,165 of 4,444
Just sold my Penrose that I had for a bit. Loved the sound they had, but absolutely HATED the constant drop offs when using the dongle as was a common unfixable issue with the penrose.

Was contemplating getting the Maxwell’s this Black Friday, did they fix the issue with the dropouts and clicking noise using wireless mode with a PS5?

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #4,167 of 4,444
Question, I have 2 windows machines, one connected through bluetooth, on with usb-c. I want to give priority to the microphone in usb-c, but as soon as anything is playing on the bluetooth machine, the microphone focus will go to that machine, and I will no longer get mic output. Muting the bluetooth machine isn't enough, you need to either close to program making the sound or pause the video in chrome or whatever, and then the mic returns to the usb-c connected Windows machine. Other than 'mute' which doesn't work, is there another quick one button click way to stop all audio output from one device in windows?

Nov 17, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #4,168 of 4,444
Just sold my Penrose that I had for a bit. Loved the sound they had, but absolutely HATED the constant drop offs when using the dongle as was a common unfixable issue with the penrose.

Was contemplating getting the Maxwell’s this Black Friday, did they fix the issue with the dropouts and clicking noise using wireless mode with a PS5?
Yeah my Penrose were pretty much unusable because of dropouts even with only being a few feet away. Maxwell is rock solid.

Nov 17, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #4,169 of 4,444

The Maxwell uses a different wireless protocol for the dongle than the Penrose did. I personally have had zero issues with dropouts or noise (I use for PS4 and PC, not PS5)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back