Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Oct 27, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #4,141 of 4,444
Just joined the club! 😁

20231027_161032.jpg
Me too.

20231027_203732_compress37.jpg

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #4,143 of 4,444
I just got these today. I had heard these a couple times at CanJam SoCal 2023. Last week I purchased an open box Focal Bathys (which I also heard an CanJam). I already decided that the Maxwell sounded better, but wanted to hear them side by side. This is not even a fair fight.The Maxwell, to my ears, is a considerably better sounding headphone for all genres. Also the Maxwell has a lot more power/volume for older, quieter recordings. The Bathys is better than all the other ANC headphones, but the Maxwell is the best sounding wireless headphone to me. The build quality is great, the app is great. The microphone(s) are way better than on any wireless headsets I have sampled (even without the AI noise cancelling activated). I will be using these for work for music and calls. I will also travel with them. Passive noise suppression on these is not bad. No ANC, no problem. I listed the Focal Bathys for sale four hours ago and already sold it.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #4,147 of 4,444
The dongle is Bluetooth, LC3+ specifically. The early Maxwell user guide said so explicitly, before Audeze started being more cagey about it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...-firmware-v51-and-hq-v80.966020/post-17443798

I don't think there's much question that it's Bluetooth. Audeze has never claimed in their marketing that it was 2.4GHz. Any early confusion seems entirely based on erroneous reporting by an online outlet or two early on.
Thanks for that info, generally in my mind SQ is now decreased :p
Just tested on my computer with USB cable connection and there is a difference.. :/

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #4,148 of 4,444
Bluetooth also works on 2.4Ghz. So them saying 2.4Ghz is not wrong, people just assumed that meant WiFi, though I think Audeze also wanted that implication as I remember seeing it from their official literature.

In other news, anyone know what the changes are with version 82 of Audeze HQ? Do they publish patch notes anywhere?

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #4,149 of 4,444
Bluetooth also works on 2.4Ghz. So them saying 2.4Ghz is not wrong, people just assumed that meant WiFi, though I think Audeze also wanted that implication as I remember seeing it from their official literature.

In other news, anyone know what the changes are with version 82 of Audeze HQ? Do they publish patch notes anywhere?

That's true, though I think when most people hear "2.4 GHz wireless" they're thinking of Wi-Fi, not Bluetooth, but the only time Audeze mentions 2.4GHz wireless in their marketing is in contrast to the wireless implementation on the Maxwell.

"3X the range versus standard 2.4GHz wireless"
"Ultra-Low Latency Wireless with 3X Range of Traditional 2.4Ghz"

You don't draw a contrast with something if that's what you're using. They're being coy about using Bluetooth on the dongle, but the marketing never said they were using a 2.4GHz implementation other than Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #4,151 of 4,444
For now it will only work with some app, "Dolby Atmos Renderer" (so no, it won't work with "Dolby Access" on Windows or something).
It looks like, from the page where they have the driver downloads, that it’s the same ASIO technology used by NX Headtracker. Which means it can plug into a program like Virtuoso and be used to monitor (read: playback) any multi-channel audio.

In theory, it should be doable for media playback if you get everything sorted out.

Nov 6, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #4,152 of 4,444
I've been looking for something relatively 'cheap' to replace DCA Stealths as I no longer own them and wireless could be potentially a big plus.

So couple of days ago I tried Maxwell at the local dealer and I must admit, I really liked what I heard.
I really like the tonality, maybe sometimes but only sometimes the bass felt just a tad too much - but it can be addressed with EQ app.

I just wish it has more detail separation and resolution. Not that it's bad but when you are used to high-end stuff you can miss some of that.
Nevertheless I'm seriously thinking about buying them - will probably do that just waiting for the Xbox version to be available.

Oh also small nitpick I can see how sometimes one can ran out of volume with them on some quiet classical recordings.

Ps. @Audeze are you planing to do something like Maxwell but oriented more towards hifi users?

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #4,153 of 4,444
I've been looking for something relatively 'cheap' to replace DCA Stealths as I no longer own them and wireless could be potentially a big plus.

So couple of days ago I tried Maxwell at the local dealer and I must admit, I really liked what I heard.
I really like the tonality, maybe sometimes but only sometimes the bass felt just a tad too much - but it can be addressed with EQ app.

I just wish it has more detail separation and resolution. Not that it's bad but when you are used to high-end stuff you can miss some of that.
Nevertheless I'm seriously thinking about buying them - will probably do that just waiting for the Xbox version to be available.

Oh also small nitpick I can see how sometimes one can ran out of volume with them on some quiet classical recordings.

Ps. @Audeze are you planing to do something like Maxwell but oriented more towards hifi users?
We do not comment on speculative products. You can subscribe to our newsletter for any news on product launches, etc.

You can subscribe to our mailing list here.

Nov 6, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,154 of 4,444

Users who are viewing this thread

Back