Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Oct 20, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #4,112 of 4,444
@Audeze - quick question. Now that the Ultraviolet stock seems to be shipping out do you know if stock for overseas orders (in particular for UK official retailer) has been made available? TIA
UV orders for dealers have all been shipped out or should mostly all be gone within the next few days. So expect them in the next coming weeks.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 21, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,113 of 4,444
Been waiting over a month to get a new pair of Maxwells since mine broke. Sadly, they say I have to wait until December. This is so dumb. Also, my backup headset, the Mobious is now having a loose USB-C port so It's so frustrating using them because they drop connection all the time.

It's so frustrating because one store here in Sweden received 100+ pairs of Maxwell headsets, while the store I bought it from is not getting a single one in like 3-4 months. How is that even possible?

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #4,114 of 4,444
I agree the Maxwell are impressive as a wireless closed headphone. Now it would be interesting to venture in comparing them to open wireless ones, like Deva, and wired ones (of course wiring the Maxwell as well as it would be unfair otherwise).
As you may have guessed, I cannot care the less bout gaming, I am only interested in SQ and I am trying to understand what is the real Maxwell's value for money, even taking portability out of scope, in that department. I cannot see any active discussion about this. All my wired headphones are either vintage planar or staxes. These Maxwell cannot touch neither my omega nor my lambda and a coupe of old planars have an linearity and HF refinement the Maxwell cannot dream of. However I see a new wave of planars (including the Maxwell) storming the market and I am really interest on them.
I've had both the Maxwell and Deva Pro (wireless) for some time now. My use cases for them are quite different though so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. The Maxwell i typically use for work calls when i'm working from home, and occasionally for gaming. Don't really use them much for music since i have other wired cans/IEMs better suited for that. The Deva Pro i use almost daily with my Nvidia Shield for late night TV watching, which includes music videos and clips on YT, etc.

So from a SQ perspective, my personal take is that the Deva Pros sound ok in that the tonal balance, detail, imaging is better than most typical BT headsets which are disgustingly V-shaped and muddy. Bass extension is clearly lacking though. They do sound quite open and airy as open-back planars should. I do get quite a fair bit of background static/noise though, but no obvious compression artifacts on LDAC.

For the Maxwell, again the tonal balance, detail, imaging is better than most typical BT headsets. Bass definitely extends better than the Deva Pros. They do sound obviously more closed in than the Deva Pros though. I guess they're quite ok for closed backs, though i do have wired closed backs that sound just as wide if not maybe even wider, but it's marginal. They are dead silent though.

So how i'd generalise my experience for both cans is that neither of them really wow me like i'd use them all the time for everything. But if I compare to other BT headphones, i'd say both are really good. So to be honest I'd look beyond the SQ, at the other factors which i think differentiates them a lot more, ie. comfort, battery life, BT range, etc.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #4,117 of 4,444
As a gaming oriented headset I find this feature pretty pointless in it's current state.
I'd much prefer things like being able to control voice /chat mix from my headset on PS5. Surely this can be done now that Sony owns Audeze?

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #4,118 of 4,444
As a gaming oriented headset I find this feature pretty pointless in it's current state.
I'd much prefer things like being able to control voice /chat mix from my headset on PS5. Surely this can be done now that Sony owns Audeze?
I agree with head tracking being next to worthless for the fixed monitor gaming that I do. It makes more sense for VR but even that is just as niche as a planar gaming headset. Perhaps with PlayStations VR system and their own version of the Maxwell coming out it will add up to something worthwhile? Not for me though. VR is not ubiquitous enough for me to dive into.

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #4,119 of 4,444
I agree with head tracking being next to worthless for the fixed monitor gaming that I do. It makes more sense for VR but even that is just as niche as a planar gaming headset. Perhaps with PlayStations VR system and their own version of the Maxwell coming out it will add up to something worthwhile? Not for me though. VR is not ubiquitous enough for me to dive into.
I use PSVR2 quite often. Synth Riders is an insane workout. But as far as this tech for use in VR.. Surely the VR headset is already doing this?
I'd assume this' just for flat gaming but then it comes off as a gimmick to me since you'd be looking forward at the screen 95% of the time anyway.

Oct 25, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #4,120 of 4,444
Has anyone here tried the defean pads?

Yep, I've had them for a little over a week. Solid upgrade for me compared to stock. I got the cooling gel version with silky fabric option. They are a bit thicker than stock, but compress easily. I didn't have to adjust my headband from the medium setting. The cooling effect doesn't last long, but these don't heat up near as much as stock pads. What I like most about them most is the larger ear openings fit me better.

With a flat EQ, I made the following adjustments:

64Hz +2
125Hz -1
500Hz -1
1kHz +1
2kHz +1

Sounds good to me

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #4,121 of 4,444
A question regarding the Maxwell’s.

I use mine solely on the PS5. I set my PS5 to max volume and I then turn the volume down maybe 3/4 steps on the maxwell. I turn them off and then when I power them on again in the morning, the volume of the headset seems to go back to normal, forgetting where I last set the volume. Is this normal?

Oct 26, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #4,122 of 4,444
A question regarding the Maxwell’s.

I use mine solely on the PS5. I set my PS5 to max volume and I then turn the volume down maybe 3/4 steps on the maxwell. I turn them off and then when I power them on again in the morning, the volume of the headset seems to go back to normal, forgetting where I last set the volume. Is this normal?
As far as I'm aware, this is by design.

Oct 26, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #4,124 of 4,444
I see, so is there something I can do to get it back to the setting I last left it at?
The PS5 volume setting should stay as you set it but each time you turn your Maxwell's on you'll need to use the volume dial to set as desired.
It's a little annoying if you only use the headphones on the one system but after owning these now since June and realising how much I use them in different use cases (PS5, Switch, laptop, phone), I can appreciate why it was done this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back