Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jul 29, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,726 of 4,444
That separation from Gaming/Chat using Dongle still not very pleasant to use. Windows and Apps always get confusing with it. Many times when using "game" and Start a Game it stops the sound from other app(Like a vido on Youtube) you have to minimize the game and play again. Using foobar to using music and them receiving an audio from M$ Teams it stops the music ass well. There are many many situations... Just terrible.
At least using BT that doest not happen, still a pain in the ass due to the delay.

The dongle implementation as using only "one device" was better in Penrose. Hope it can be improved in future.

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #3,727 of 4,444
That separation from Gaming/Chat using Dongle still not very pleasant to use. Windows and Apps always get confusing with it. Many times when using "game" and Start a Game it stops the sound from other app(Like a vido on Youtube) you have to minimize the game and play again. Using foobar to using music and them receiving an audio from M$ Teams it stops the music ass well. There are many many situations... Just terrible.
At least using BT that doest not happen, still a pain in the ass due to the delay.

The dongle implementation as using only "one device" was better in Penrose. Hope it can be improved in future.

What I did was disable the device Maxwell for game. Im not even sure what it is for.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #3,728 of 4,444
Listening to Amazon music unlimited, exclusive mode on(yeah yeah not true exclusive I know), connected to PC via dongle, Maxwell set to 24/96. All is mostly fine when songs are streamed in 24/44.1, 48, 96. There is still clipping pops. When some songs are streamed in 16/44.1 there is significant clipping static. Like the dac in the Maxwell is not converting 16/44.1 to 24/96 correctly? When setting the Maxwell to 16/44.1 in windows settings this goes away. Down sampling 24/44.1, 48, 96 to 16/44.1 seems to be fine. Anyone else replicate this? Could definitely be windows audio mixer clipping the Bluetooth module. The obvious answer is to not use exclusive mode but I don't have this issue with any of my other audio equipment.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,729 of 4,444
Listening to Amazon music unlimited, exclusive mode on(yeah yeah not true exclusive I know), connected to PC via dongle, Maxwell set to 24/96. All is mostly fine when songs are streamed in 24/44.1, 48, 96. There is still clipping pops. When some songs are streamed in 16/44.1 there is significant clipping static. Like the dac in the Maxwell is not converting 16/44.1 to 24/96 correctly? When setting the Maxwell to 16/44.1 in windows settings this goes away. Down sampling 24/44.1, 48, 96 to 16/44.1 seems to be fine. Anyone else replicate this? Could definitely be windows audio mixer clipping the Bluetooth module. The obvious answer is to not use exclusive mode but I don't have this issue with any of my other audio equipment.
Confirmed. Tested when connected via USB to PC and this does not happen. The issue is something to do with connected to Windows via dongle, Maxwell 24/96, Amazon music, volume clipping when up sampling 16/44.1 streams. Exclusive mode on or off. Exclusive mode is worse.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #3,730 of 4,444
Confirmed. Tested when connected via USB to PC and this does not happen. The issue is something to do with connected to Windows via dongle, Maxwell 24/96, Amazon music, volume clipping when up sampling 16/44.1 streams. Exclusive mode on or off. Exclusive mode is worse.
Another update: Used a friends Tidal subscription to test. Was able to replicate this using Tidal's exclusive mode. Hifi (16/44.1) streams. Maxwell set to 24/96 in windows. Definitely clipping when up sampling 16/44.1 content to 24/96.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3,731 of 4,444
Another update: Used a friends Tidal subscription to test. Was able to replicate this using Tidal's exclusive mode. Hifi (16/44.1) streams. Maxwell set to 24/96 in windows. Definitely clipping when up sampling 16/44.1 content to 24/96.
Dongle plugged into Galaxy S20, phone volume all the way up, adjusting volume on headset. No issues. No way to set bit depth/frequency this way so who knows what Maxwell defaults to in this scenario.

Jul 31, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,733 of 4,444
Maxwell supports 16/24 bit 48khz and 96khz signals. Make sure the conversion is being done properly on your source end. 44.1/88khz are not supported.

This is why you only see 48khz and 96khz options available.
Thank you for the response. I am aware of the specs of the Maxwell. Can you clue me in on a music streaming platform that streams 16/48 music content? Also. Since Maxwell does not handshake to true exclusive mode, how is that I need to make sure the conversion is being done properly on the source end? Do I need to change the device settings from 24/96 to 16/48 every time a 16/44.1 song pops up to avoid clipping? This is not an issue with any other audio gear I own.

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #3,734 of 4,444
Thank you for the response. I am aware of the specs of the Maxwell. Can you clue me in on a music streaming platform that streams 16/48 music content? Also. Since Maxwell does not handshake to true exclusive mode, how is that I need to make sure the conversion is being done properly on the source end? Do I need to change the device settings from 24/96 to 16/48 every time a 16/44.1 song pops up to avoid clipping? This is not an issue with any other audio gear I own.
From internal discussions:

What I gather, Maxwell needs to pick up 16/24bit at 48/96khz. Using Exclusive mode with Maxwell on 44.1khz files as it will bypass sample rate conversion which is necessary as mentioned, Maxwell only accepts 48khz and 96khz. Bypassing SRC means the Maxwell is trying to play 44.1 with those files, meaning you'll have issues.

I don't use or understand Tidal's settings, so I would suggest having their options able to convert 44.1 to 48 or 96khz if possible.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #3,735 of 4,444
From internal discussions:

What I gather from their discussions, is that you should not be using Exclusive mode with Maxwell on 44.1khz files as it will bypass sample rate conversion which is necessary as mentioned, Maxwell only accepts 48khz and 96khz. This is far from my field of expertise, but yeah, bypassing SRC means the Maxwell is trying to play 44.1 with those files, meaning no good.

I don't use or understand Tidal's settings, so I would suggest having their options sate to convert 44.1 to 48 or 96khz if possible.
The Maxwell does not take advantage of a true exclusive mode. I have found this out through this. A second advantage of the excusive mode is that it eliminates a second volume to manage. Music app volume, windows volume/Maxwell volume. The issue is that when the Maxwell is set to 24/96 to receive 24/96 content it does not handle a 16/44.1 stream because the up sampling is not does in a way that does not clip the dongle. Considering none of this happens when hardwired via USB-C makes me think its an issue with the dongle or the audio driver servicing the dongle. Who knows. Maybe it can't be fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back