Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jun 28, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #3,586 of 4,444
Hello 😊 , I wanted to get some advice, because apparently this is the only forum to talk in detail about using the Maxwell. I've explored the pages a bit, but 239 pages seems like torture to me even with the keyword search (but I've learned a lot already thanks to you) especially to know about a few quick questions to answer. Audeze's after-sales service hasn't replied, so I'm turning to you.

In particular, I wanted to know whether you thought DOLBY ATMOS on Windows or Android (on the phone too subtle to judge, but I have the impression that they were stronger, so better, especially for Netflix... ) were advantageous to activate it or not, some saying that the spatializations offered by ATMOS are just right for open-world RPGs for immersion, but not for online games that require more precise sound positioning even with the "Performance" mode (some prefer to deactivate it and activate it in detail, I don't know if it's really better), I've seen that most games don't support ATMOS, in fact very few do, so the interest in ATMOS would lie mainly in digital activities that do support it, such as downloaded FILMS, some with a DTS codec, others with ATMOS (and these are much easier to find than games or music), if ATMOS support isn't present for film, it still seems to me that immersion is better with DOLBY spatialization for films, even if the file doesn't support it (tell me if I'm wrong, it's my impression) for music, by the way, some music is ATMOS-certified, but I listen to FLAC sound via Deezer (even though it's usually FLAC 16bit 44Khz), so I think 24bit/96Hz without ATMOS (because Windows 10 decreases to 24bit/48HZ with ATMOS, it's annoying to have to change it every time you activate the GAME device, because my CHAT device is the default communication device - that's what's recommended anyway, because I have to admit I had trouble understanding at first, and still do today, that the sound of the Discord cat drowns out the game sound without me being able to do anything about it, including turning the MIX AMP knob up or down - it's hard to find the right compromise, it's either one or the other. ... perhaps you've already had the same problem and managed to solve it with a trick? ) I'll start again: Or is 24bits/96hz really useless for Deezer FLAC, which generally doesn't exceed 1.411 Mbps? In any case, if I deactivate ATMOS or not, as discussed on this forum, should I leave 24bits/96hz? Or lower it to 24bits/48hz https://linustechtips.com/topic/1000015-24-bit-48khz-or-96khz-whats-better/?

So without Atmos seems to me a better optimization for music (some appreciate the detailed mode of the Music setting on Atmos, it remains to be verified but not easy ... ) and also for most games, even open-world RPGs, because I think these games have a hard time supporting this software correctly. Now I'm saying this, but it's a bit vague for me to form an opinion, it's very subjective and perhaps biases the true scientific nature of the most correct hypothesis with regard to quality between the two, and that's why I'm asking you these questions.

Secondly, with regard to equalizers, particularly if you activate ATMOS and an Audeze HQ custom equalizer or one of their presets is activated at the same time as the ATMOS equalizer or those customized for it, is this a problem? Knowing that you can't remove the HQ one because it's integrated, should you set the equalizer to deactivate for films, for example? I haven't touched the Windows settings in the device option, where you can check Virtual surround, Bass Boost, Loundness EQ... the same principle: avoid touching? Does this serve any purpose here with the Maxwell? Same thing for Android and equalizer settings in phone settings or via an app?

Lastly, what do you think of this https://www.soundguys.com/ldac-ultimate-bluetooth-guide-20026/ Unfortunately, it's French, but it explains why LDAC isn't all that interesting, so I'm wondering about the concrete facts and those used by marketing, which often misleads the consumer, but it explains why LDAC isn't all that interesting, so I'm wondering about activating it or staying on the auxiliary cable, even if the FLAC music isn't as loud but is perhaps of better quality? I live in the country, so I'm rarely in the city or on the subway, so interference isn't a problem for me, nor is the distance between my head and the pocket of my jeans, but maybe removing LDAC in certain situations where the connection is saturated by the activity of big cities or trains might be a little more certain... I don't know...

Thank you so much for your patience and kindness :sunny: , maybe these questions are simple, but I haven't managed to find any real answers, the doubts persist, because in spite of everything I think they're quite complex, especially for a beginner :darthsmile:

Jun 28, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #3,588 of 4,444
Is it just me or there is a sound differencr when using chat vs game as the sound output in Windows?

That seems plausible. They might be using a lower-bandwidth protocol for the chat functionality to make sure that more bandwidth is reserved for audio quality with the "Game" audio output

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #3,591 of 4,444
So does anyone else's headset start to tell them their battery is low at like 50 something percent then keeps telling me periodically after? That seems like such a high percentage to start to notify of low battery. It would be so much better if it was like 10% or maybe even 5% battery left.
Please contact us at support@audeze.com

This shouldn't be happening.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 29, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #3,592 of 4,444
Have been facing audio connectivity problems. I've often use Bluetooth during the day for connecting my mobile and computer at same time, also for BT having a better Range. But after the day when I use the dongle , it connects perfectly and I can even connect to audezeHQ but there is no sound at all. Only after reseting everything(dongle and headset) as factory reset it comes to live again. It's really annoying...

Jun 29, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #3,593 of 4,444
Ont été confrontés à des problèmes de connectivité audio. J'utilise souvent Bluetooth pendant la journée pour connecter mon mobile et mon ordinateur en même temps, également pour que BT ait une meilleure portée. Mais après le jour où j'utilise le dongle, il se connecte parfaitement et je peux même me connecter à audezeHQ mais il n'y a pas de son du tout. Ce n'est qu'après avoir tout réinitialisé (dongle et casque) en tant que réinitialisation d'usine qu'il revient à la vie. C'est vraiment agaçant...
Try to find a software or trick to clean the devices, for example, I had a problem the Game device had disappeared from Windows I cleaned with iObit Driver Booster, the devices and this, It was very fast and simple so try on similar problems...

Sans titre.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #3,594 of 4,444
Have been facing audio connectivity problems. I've often use Bluetooth during the day for connecting my mobile and computer at same time, also for BT having a better Range. But after the day when I use the dongle , it connects perfectly and I can even connect to audezeHQ but there is no sound at all. Only after reseting everything(dongle and headset) as factory reset it comes to live again. It's really annoying...
I'll give it a try. But it should not happen anyway....

Right now I found another connectivity problem. I've seem that before but completly forgotten. I was listening to music in Foobar2k and opened a game to play. Somehow it tries to switch for the game sound and them lost connectivity with the dongle. Now I came back to to reset the drivers or something... .that's so basic.

As far as I love Maxwell for it's performance, it's clear that Audeze still din't learnt nothing with penrose.(And yeah, I had mine since it was released...)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #3,595 of 4,444
Does anyone have comparisons between the Maxwell sound quality to the LCD-1?

I owned the LCD-1 briefly and sold it due to the flimsy plastic and the "Just OK" sound quality. The Maxwell has me intrigued as a portable device and I'm hoping it sounds a lot fuller than the LCD-1. I currently use the Sony XM4 as my portable device.

Jul 2, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #3,600 of 4,444
It's not just worse.... It deform your voice in a very weird way. Record yourse with Mic Record in Windows and check it. If it was just a "low quality" mic it should be better. But seems like I'm speek with a botato in my mounth specially words using "S". Very very weird.

What noise suppression level are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back