Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
May 19, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #3,391 of 4,444
@Mad Lust Envy Do you know if Audeze is working on the bug where Maxwell volume rocker doesn't control the USB volume on a docked Nintendo Switch? Looking online it seems to be a common problem, and I've updated both dongle and headset to latest firmware. It's not high priority since we can control it on the home screen, but just curious why it doesn't work.
Does this work with other headphones ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
May 20, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #3,393 of 4,444
So has there been some type of recall of the headsets or why is the estimated time AUGUST in Sweden? :p
I mean how can it be like a 5-6 months delay if there isn't an actual issue with the product?
The PS version is late august.

May 20, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #3,394 of 4,444
how far does the wireless go with the dongle bluetooth as i am planning do buy one

May 21, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,396 of 4,444
That's one of the main things they've corrected with the Maxwell over the Penrose. You don't have to worry about the short distance the Penrose had.
This. I live in NYC where the wireless is congested and have never had a good experience with wireless headphones on the Xbox (Penrose being the worst). With Maxwell I never have to worry about it. It just works.

May 22, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #3,398 of 4,444
Speaking for myself here, as far as I remember, this is not a bug.

Maxwell doesn't control system volume even on PS5. This is likely a permissions limitation where the usb doesn't have access to those controls.
You'll have to max out the volume on Switch, and control with Maxwell headset control.

System volume control will work on Xbox and PC though.

Does this work with other headphones ?
I believe you're right about this, but with PS5, the volume rocker still affects volume of the headphone itself, even if it doesn't change the PS5 system volume. For some reason on my Nintendo Switch, it doesn't change the system volume but also doesn't seem to change the headphone volume at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

May 22, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #3,399 of 4,444
I’m looking for a wireless headphone for music only and I care very much about how natural and tonally correct a headphone is, so :

In term of tonality how does Maxwell compare to a well tuned wired headphones (Sundara, hd600, etc) ?

Also what about the technicality of Maxwell against let say Sundara or hd600 ?

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #3,400 of 4,444
I’m looking for a wireless headphone for music only and I care very much about how natural and tonally correct a headphone is, so :

In term of tonality how does Maxwell compare to a well tuned wired headphones (Sundara, hd600, etc) ?

Also what about the technicality of Maxwell against let say Sundara or hd600 ?
Tonally correct is very subjective. Objectively the Maxwell measures very well against the harman curve. Because of this it is going to have a fuller bass sound than a hd 600 or Sundara. HD 600 having bass roll off more along a near field response. The Sundara, while have the ability to hear lower bas notes is again significantly more rolled off than the Maxwell. I didn't like the thin sound of the Sundara. This led me to the Audeze sound to begin with. That being said, the Maxwell is not the topical Audeze sound either. Again. Very subjective.

May 22, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,401 of 4,444
I believe you're right about this, but with PS5, the volume rocker still affects volume of the headphone itself, even if it doesn't change the PS5 system volume. For some reason on my Nintendo Switch, it doesn't change the system volume but also doesn't seem to change the headphone volume at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

In the meantime, I would recommend controling the Switch volume with the game/chat balance on Maxwell. Should work, as you'll be affecting main audio volume by biasing towards/away from Chat audio (which you'll have nothing connected to.)

This will be put on the list for the firmware team to check.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #3,402 of 4,444
After reading all these horror stories with receiving maxwell back from audeze once returned I think I might just hang on to mine instead of returning it. I only really hear the buzzing in the left earcup with music via BT and have never once heard it with gaming on PS5. Also this will probably be the last planar magnetic drivers headset I buy. They sound nice but you really need to baby them because the driver is so delicate. I have never broken any of my headphones/headsets and I take care of all my headphones and electronic devices.

May 25, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #3,404 of 4,444
So finally have my Maxwell! Question: When using my own preset via my android phone app, playing music via spotify is extremly laggy/choppy. But only when using my own preset.. If I use the Bass Boost EQ it sounds perfectly fine.

Weird?

May 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #3,405 of 4,444
So finally have my Maxwell! Question: When using my own preset via my android phone app, playing music via spotify is extremly laggy/choppy. But only when using my own preset.. If I use the Bass Boost EQ it sounds perfectly fine.

Weird?

KNOWN ISSUES

- Playback on Android via the LDAC Bluetooth codec is currently incompatible with the user preset EQ values and may result in audio stuttering. LDAC playback is working as regular with pre-installed EQ values (Audeze, Treble Boost, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back