Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
May 17, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #3,346 of 4,444
Can we have some more transparency on the shipments? It's just crazy to constantly see post on social media about people who ordered weeks or even months after myself (and many others) that are receiving their shipments.

I'm guessing Audeze will just blame the dealers... When other headphone OEMs have no problems in dealing with dealers/shipments in other continents.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #3,348 of 4,444
Is there not a way to test this in-balance ?
I sent a mono signal to the headset and made sure to swap the ear cups on my head to make sure it wasn't a left and right ear deficiency. In windows with a base volume of 32, the right earcup has to be turned up to 35 to center the mono signal. This was true when swapping ear cups on my head. I am sure Audeze should have way more scientific methods. Lol

May 17, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #3,349 of 4,444
Actually, statistics would be a great tool here.

Not exactly statistics but so far the three reviews that I've seen that published FR for both channels show a rather consistent imbalance at around 200-300Hz :

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audeze/maxwell-wireless
https://boizoff.com/language/en/audeze-maxwell-review-they-did-it/

I would not necessarily think that all of the people who reported an issue with channel imbalance had the same imbalance in the same spot, but at least that seems to be a consistent issue with the units that have been measured so far (and quite surprising to see given Audeze's use of an internal rear volume ?).

Rtings' review also suggests that just like quite a few closed backs without a feedback mechanism, there is a bit of inter-individual variation at low frequencies related to varying amount of leakage (because of anatomical variance), and it's possible that one individual experiences asymmetrical leakage between the two ears.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 18.09.30.png

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/frequency-response-consistency

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #3,352 of 4,444
We’re happy to announce a new firmware update for Maxwell, available to download now through the Audeze HQ app on Windows or MacOS. Until further notice, firmware updates will not be available on Android or iOS as we work to investigate an issue with updating on these platforms.

Today’s update adds new features and addresses a variety of customer concerns and bug fixes. Please take note of the known issues, especially if using LDAC on Android. Our development team continues to work to improve Maxwell and we will release another update as soon as we can.

-----------------------------------------------------

2023/05/15

Release v1.0.1.46

- Added feature: USB Dongle can reconnect to headset when USB is plugged in.

- Added feature: Maxwell automatically switches to power-saving mode when AUX is unplugged, improving battery performance.

- Fixed: Bug that caused a brief noise when Bluetooth streaming connects over USB Dongle streaming.

- Fixed: Bug that prevented the dongle from switching device types on some systems.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared in PC sleep mode caused the dongle from connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared on Samsung phones that prevented the mic from working properly after hanging up a phone call.

- Fixed: Bug where in USB Dongle PC mode, sound card would mute when switching streaming to the other device and switching back. The headset would still play audio on USB Dongle PC mode with muted state.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared after BT receives a message notification that muted USB Dongle audio.
- Modified: Adjusted mic settings to improve battery life.

- Modified: Increased amplifier gain.

- Modified: Improved silence detection for auto shutdown.

- Modified: Reduced duty cycle of the LED to improve battery performance.

- Modified: Modified sidetone behavior to improve battery performance.

KNOWN ISSUES

- Playback on Android via the LDAC Bluetooth codec is currently incompatible with the user preset EQ values and may result in audio stuttering. LDAC playback is working as regular with pre-installed EQ values (Audeze, Treble Boost, etc.)

- Some customers report a low-level noise when sidetone is enabled. We are currently investigating this issue.

- During simultaneous AUX + Bluetooth mode, incoming calls will mute Bluetooth audio, which requires re-establishing the Bluetooth connection/power cycling the headset.

- When using AUX mode after first powering on Maxwell, the first volume adjustment is very steep and may result in volume levels that are uncomfortably loud until the volume is lowered. Subsequent volume level adjustments will work as expected. We recommend adjusting volume up/down for a few moments before placing headset on the head or playing any audio through AUX connection.

-There are reports of the software stating the dongle update failed. Please try a few times. As long as the firmware version ends up in v46, it should be fine even if the reporting states it failed.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
May 17, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,354 of 4,444
Is this only for the headset? Didn't get a prompt to update the Dongle at all. Also, update says that it failed the first time around, even though the version now shows up as correct (will reflash the firmware).
This is for both. Make sure you're on PC/MAC for the update. Make sure your headset is not wired to the system when trying to connect the dongle.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #3,355 of 4,444
Great to see Audeze continuing to improve Maxwell and improve the already insane value proposition even further.

At this point I’m just waiting for the in-built EQ to be fully parametric then I’ll probably finally place my order.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 17, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #3,356 of 4,444
This is for both. Make sure you're on PC/MAC for the update. Make sure your headset is not wired to the system when trying to connect the dongle.
Yes, that was it, unplugged and then it showed up. BTW both updates (for the Dongle and Headset) failed on the first try (although the version updated correctly), and then succeeded on the second one. I think something about the upgrade procedure with Audeze HQ always messes up, for me it has been the case on every single firmware upgrade.

May 17, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #3,357 of 4,444
We’re happy to announce a new firmware update for Maxwell, available to download now through the Audeze HQ app on Windows or MacOS. Until further notice, firmware updates will not be available on Android or iOS as we work to investigate an issue with updating on these platforms.

Today’s update adds new features and addresses a variety of customer concerns and bug fixes. Please take note of the known issues, especially if using LDAC on Android. Our development team continues to work to improve Maxwell and we will release another update as soon as we can.

2023/05/15

Release v1.0.1.46

- Added feature: USB Dongle can reconnect to headset when USB is plugged in.

- Added feature: Maxwell automatically switches to power-saving mode when AUX is unplugged, improving battery performance.

- Fixed: Bug that caused a brief noise when Bluetooth streaming connects over USB Dongle streaming.

- Fixed: Bug that prevented the dongle from switching device types on some systems.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared in PC sleep mode caused the dongle from connecting and disconnecting repeatedly.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared on Samsung phones that prevented the mic from working properly after hanging up a phone call.

- Fixed: Bug where in USB Dongle PC mode, sound card would mute when switching streaming to the other device and switching back. The headset would still play audio on USB Dongle PC mode with muted state.

- Fixed: Bug that appeared after BT receives a message notification that muted USB Dongle audio.

- Modified: Adjusted mic settings to improve battery life.

- Modified: Increased amplifier gain.

- Modified: Improved silence detection for auto shutdown.

- Modified: Reduced duty cycle of the LED to improve battery performance.

- Modified: Modified sidetone behavior to improve battery performance.

KNOWN ISSUES

- Playback on Android via the LDAC Bluetooth codec is currently incompatible with the user preset EQ values and may result in audio stuttering. LDAC playback is working as regular with pre-installed EQ values (Audeze, Treble Boost, etc.)

- There may be some noise present when sidetone is enabled. We are currently investigating this issue and are looking into ways to address this issue.

- During simultaneous AUX + Bluetooth mode, incoming calls will mute Bluetooth audio, which requires re-establishing the Bluetooth connection/power cycling the headset.

- When using AUX mode after first powering on Maxwell, the first volume adjustment is very steep and may result in volume levels that are uncomfortably loud until the volume is lowered. Subsequent volume level adjustments will work as expected. We recommend adjusting volume up/down for a few moments before placing headset on the head or playing any audio through AUX connection.
Dongle updated fine. Then it told me I had to hardwire the headphone to computer to update headset. Would not do it over dongle connection. Annoying but okay fine. I hardwired the headset and it gave me an error saying update failed. Please try again after power cycling the headset. I tried this four times. I then just said the heck with it and tried it without power cycling the headset. It finally updated. There has got to be a more streamlined way of updating this thing. It's crazy!

May 17, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,358 of 4,444
Decided to make an account here because I wanted to throw my hopes out there that we might see the Audeze HQ app integrate some kind of native parametric EQ.
Picked up my Maxwell a couple weeks ago now and it's immediately become my main everyday workhorse headphone. I have very few worthwhile complaints for what I use it for honestly, so things coming down to just wishing I had more granular control over certain aspects of the sound just to polish it up would be a wonderful addition!

May 17, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #3,359 of 4,444
Dongle updated fine. Then it told me I had to hardwire the headphone to computer to update headset. Would not do it over dongle connection. Annoying but okay fine. I hardwired the headset and it gave me an error saying update failed. Please try again after power cycling the headset. I tried this four times. I then just said the heck with it and tried it without power cycling the headset. It finally updated. There has got to be a more streamlined way of updating this thing. It's crazy!
Yes, the headset must be updated directly.

Essentially, connect the dongle first (NOT the headset), while the headset is on and paired. This allows you to update the dongle. THEN, disconnect the dongle, and connect the headset (while it is on) through USB cable. That's the surefire way to update the two properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back