Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
May 6, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #3,241 of 4,444
Just had a bug on Windows, that the headset wasnt really loud, even at 100% volume. Everything was at a 100%, even chat mix, but still the headphone didnt get as loud as it usually gets.

I uninstalled the Audeze Game and Audeze Chat device in the Windows Device Manager and then replugged the dongle, after that the headset worked again as it should (now it is at 60% louder than it was before on 100%). So if anybody here has problems with low volume on windows, try that.

May 7, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #3,243 of 4,444
Have anyone compared the Maxwell against ananda v3 ,xs or Apollo , ect.

I am new to this hobby and hoping to purchase a fun sounding headset with good soundstage and details.

Thanks in advance!
I don't have experience with the headphones you named, but I will say that I enjoy the Maxwell more than the hifiman sundara. Both planar magnetic, both $300, but I'd take the Maxwell every time. Way more comfortable, all of the sound benefits of planar magnetic but with better tuning that isn't shrill like the Sundara, and better bass response due to being closed back. I also think the Maxwell images better, despite having a more narrow soundstage.

They're on equal footing for music which is nuts considering everything else the Maxwell brings to the table. These are by far the best closed back headphone I've tried.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #3,244 of 4,444
I don't have experience with the headphones you named, but I will say that I enjoy the Maxwell more than the hifiman sundara. Both planar magnetic, both $300, but I'd take the Maxwell every time. Way more comfortable, all of the sound benefits of planar magnetic but with better tuning that isn't shrill like the Sundara, and better bass response due to being closed back. I also think the Maxwell images better, despite having a more narrow soundstage.

They're on equal footing for music which is nuts considering everything else the Maxwell brings to the table. These are by far the best closed back headphone I've tried.
Thanks alot my friend

May 7, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #3,245 of 4,444
You’re a legend! This worked. I was hoping I’d missed something obvious. Not sure why it defaulted to full chat but either way I’m a happy boy so thank you for the advice.
When my brother got his pair, it was defaulted to full game. Had to walk him through it over the phone because he couldn't hear me in the party chat. Weird but at least it's fixed!
Anyone know when the very last software/firmware update was for the Penrose?

I'd like to just wait for them to be done with all of whatever the post-launch updates will be for the Maxwell before getting them.
I don't remember exactly when, but I think a few months after release. However, it was supposed to keep getting updates and then they just went silent lol. Guess they decided to scrap them and switch focus to Maxwell. There's still some things in the firmware for Penrose that are half assed.

May 8, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,252 of 4,444
May 9, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #3,253 of 4,444
Just got my Maxwells for Xbox. Just like some have mentioned there is a loud hiss/static when turning on side tone. It´s just a matter of waiting for firmware-upgrade I guess?

I also ran into an issue that I thought I should share in case anyone else runs into the same problem: I updated the dongle and then the headphones themselves. After this there was no voice prompts anymore. Just some static sound. They worked though.
Worse was that I was unable to connect them to my iPhone in the Maxwell HQ-app. They simply would not connect anymore. Tried deleting the BT-unit from iOS and repair but it didn´t work. Tried it using another iPhone but same problem. The Maxwell app actually crashed and closed itself down after trying for a while.
The solution for me was to search for firmware upgrade using a computer. Even though I had the latest firmware I could redownload and install it again. Then it would start working again.

Also I find that tuning the EQ does not change the sound a lot. Even though I crank up the bass quite a lot I can´t hear much of a difference which is surprising to me. I could do with a tad bit more base in games. I´ll experiment more with the Dolby app on xbox to see if that works better.

EDIT 2023-05-10: Audeze just responded to me that the static noise when using side tone does not mean I have a defective headset. So they will fix it in a future firmware update I assume. No ETA though.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #3,254 of 4,444
@Audeze When will the Maxwell ever be available in Europe?

I placed an order with Proshop Netherlands on 13 April, and the expected availability date has kept getting pushed back over and over again.

It's now expected between 8-9th June, but the other expected dates came and went...

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #3,255 of 4,444
@Audeze ,@Mad Lust Envy

Please, Where is the best definitive Step by Step guide to be found for updating Firmware on Dongle AND Headset on Maxwell for Xbox, i have recently 27/4/23 received mine in Uk and not yet opened them (was away on Holiday), would it be best to wait for the imminently due upcoming Firmware Update (i am in no rush) ?

Thank You

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back