Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 17, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #2,582 of 4,444
This might seem like a bit of a dunce question, but just so I fully understand the connection technology:

Maxwell dongle is actually using the Bluetooth LE/LC3 tech, instead of 'wireless'/Wi-Fi frequency that was presumably used by the Penrose dongle.

Doesn't this explain to some extent why Maxwell can't run multiple sound sources? If Penrose was Wireless (console/dongle) and then a completely separately recognised source (Bluetooth), then you have two distinct sources, whereas Maxwell is connecting to ALL wireless sources via Bluetooth, and so it can connect to multiple devices but only output sound from one at a time.

Is this about right as far as explaining why it can't do multiple-source wireless audio as before?

Not an issue for me as it's not a feature I use, but the question/criticism is constantly coming up, and I'd love to understand it more.
IIRC this was verified earlier in the thread. And on the FAQ it says:

"Maxwell will switch between dongle and BT seamlessly via a multipoint Bluetooth connection, however, it will not play back both sources simultaneously."

Which reads to me like it uses bluetooth with the dongle.

Mar 17, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #2,583 of 4,444
IIRC this was verified earlier in the thread. And on the FAQ it says:

"Maxwell will switch between dongle and BT seamlessly via a multipoint Bluetooth connection, however, it will not play back both sources simultaneously."

Which reads to me like it uses bluetooth with the dongle.
What do you press to switch between dongle and bt? If I want to listen to some music instead game audio

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #2,585 of 4,444
Always remember to check the HQ settings, as a firmware update can reset these. Things like auto shutdown, volume limiter, etc. Check them after EVERY firmware update.

We will be removing firmware updating through mobile, as there is no way to update the dongle through mobile, and it's better to ensure people are updating both the dongle and headset in the same period. Please update from a computer from this point on.

IF the dongle update says failed, but it ends up on the current firmware without any issues otherwise, your update went through just fine. It's a bug in the notifications that we are looking into. Your dongle still updated properly.

To update properly:

a. Plug in the dongle via usb, update the dongle (follow prompts). Then disconnect the dongle if you need to update the headset.
b. Plug in the headset via USB cable, update the headset. Then disconnect the headset if you did this first and need to update the dongle.

The order does not matter. Just make sure you don't have both plugged in at the same time to ensure they're being updated properly.

Factory Reset DOES work. It will do as stated. Reset the headset to factory settings. This does not mean it goers back to old firmware. It wipes all user settings, presets, etc, from the headset. When you press it, you will hear a beep, then the headset powering off.

If you're having weird issues like no volume control on Xbox... make sure the dongle is toggled to Xbox, and NOT PC. Turn the headset off/on, change usb ports, check firmware is correct and synced on both headset and dongle. Otherwise, contact support@audeze.com for assistance, as we're there to help you, and we may not be able to get to everyone on forums/reddit/etc. support@audeze.com is how you are ENSURED to be helped.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #2,586 of 4,444
Always remember to check the HQ settings, as a firmware update can reset these. Things like auto shutdown, volume limiter, etc. Check them after EVERY firmware update.

PC app development and mobile app development are done separately, so there may be some delay. In any case, we will be removing firmware updating through mobile, as there is no way to update the dongle through mobile, and it's better to ensure people are updating both the dongle and headset in the same period. Please update from a computer from this point on.

TIF the dongle update says failed, but it ends up on the current firmware without any issues otherwise, your update went through just fine. It's a bug in the notifications that we are looking into. Your dongle still updated properly.

To update properly:

a. Plug in the dongle via usb, update the dongle (follow prompts). Then disconnect the dongle if you need to update the headset.
b. Plug in the headset via USB cable, update the headset. Then disconnect the headset if you did this first and need to update the dongle.

The order does not matter. Just make sure you don't have both plugged in at the same time to ensure they're being updated properly.

Factory Reset DOES work. It will do as stated. Reset the headset to factory settings. This does not mean it goers back to old firmware. It wipes all user settings, presets, etc, from the headset. When you press it, you will hear a beep, then the headset powering off.

If you're having weird issues like no volume control on Xbox... make sure the dongle is toggled to Xbox, and NOT PC. Turn the headset off/on, change usb ports, check firmware is correct and synced on both headset and dongle, re-install firmware if need be. Otherwise, contact support@audeze.com for assistance, as we're there to help you, and we may not be able to get to everyone on forums/reddit/etc. support@audeze.com is how you are ENSURED to be helped.
You have edited the initial message right?
I don't see firmware update on PC, I think you put V.38
When will it be available then?
Thank you.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,587 of 4,444
You have edited the initial message right?
I don't see firmware update on PC, I think you put V.38
When will it be available then?
Thank you.
I did, my apologies. I thought the next update was live. It's not quite yet ready.

Expect it later on today.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #2,588 of 4,444
I did, my apologies. I thought the next update was live. It's not quite yet ready.

I would expect sometime next week. I'm hoping we get it released asap.
OK, don't worry, we'll be waiting for your news.
Thanks and congratulations to Maxwell, the headset is fantastic and I'm hoping for just that max volume gain on ps5 with the dongle.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #2,589 of 4,444
A quick comment, if you're on Xbox, do NOT update to 32. We'll be releasing a new update imminently.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #2,590 of 4,444
A quick comment, before we make a public statement, but if you're on Xbox, do NOT update to 32. You're on 35, and it may cause issues. We're working to fix that asap.
THIS!!!! Come on guys, this is exactly what happened to me, now the dongle won’t connect to anything, PC or Xbox. I can confirm it causes lots of issues. The headset now works for bluetooth and that’s it.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,591 of 4,444
THIS!!!! Come on guys, this is exactly what happened to me, now the dongle won’t connect to anything, PC or Xbox. I can confirm it causes lots of issues. The headset now works for bluetooth and that’s it.
We'll be releasing a new update today. Please try to use Aux, USB wired (not on Xbox), and BT in the meantime.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #2,594 of 4,444
Hi all,

Firmware update V38 is currently live. In addition to the improvements below, Maxwell is now certified and working with Google Fast Pair.

Maxwell V38 Update Notes:

Playstation:

- Increased Playstation mode maximum volume output to match PC mode
- Improved background noise with Sidetone ON
- Corrected connection behavior when using USB Dongle and AUX
- Improved Game/Chat Mix behavior with USB Dongle and wired USB.
- Improved Wheel Control Sensitivity
- Other Minor Bug Fixes

Xbox:

- Improved Game/Chat Mix behavior with USB Dongle and wired USB.
- Improved background noise with Sidetone ON
- Other Minor Bug Fixes

Xbox Owners: If you 'updated' to v32, please update as soon as possible to v38.

A note on 'updating' to a lower version: If at any point your current firmware version is higher than any stated version on HQ, please do not 'update', as this can cause issues. This should not be a problem with future releases.

A note on 'failed' update: If the update states that it has 'failed', but shows current firmware version correctly, the update went through properly. This is a bug in the notification which we are currently investigating.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back