Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #2,447 of 4,444
I might play around with the EQs later, play a game with Audeze EQ, then flip back to Immersive and see what I prefer. Do you have the in-game setting to 'Headphones' or something else like 'Home Theater'?

Yeah for music I was happy to keep it cranked up, not sure if that's a discrepancy with the PS Spotify app? But when I got onto BF I needed to take it down a notch or two, definitely don't want to be listening at that volume with all of the gunshot and explosion noises all the while.

So far though incredibly pleased, as I expected to be. I loved the Penrose despite its flaws, and the Maxwell seems to address a lot of my concerns/gripes with the Penrose and then some, absolutely worth the money and I'll be recommending it to my friends that's for sure!
The sound on the Spotify app on PS5 definitely seems to give a lower sound output than when playing a game or watching the likes of YouTube.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #2,448 of 4,444
On a personal note, I find my Type C ports inconsistent, so I would always recommend checking with the included USB A adapter cable for Maxwell connection stability.

I have always had problems with Type C ports in general with computers, PS5, etc. They work well with some things, not so well with others.
Yes! Also beware AMD users: sometimes certain ports in certain AM4 motherboards (esp. B550, X570) suffer from a random glitch that may cause dropouts or disconnections. If this happens with a keyboard or a mouse it may go unnoticed, however other devices may drop the connection entirely. Most motherboard vendors fixed it some time ago via BIOS updates. If you have an AM4 motherboard and you are having issues that can be attributed to the USB dongle, you may want to update the BIOS if you can.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/wud1xo/was_the_usb_dropout_bug_ever_fixed/

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #2,450 of 4,444
I gotta say its been great to see a lot of people mentioning 2042 on here. Long time BF fan really concerned about the game with the launch of 2042, but started playing it a couple months ago again and man is it good. Will never get the player base it should have had if it launched like it is now, but good to see some people are firing it up again to keep it alive and kicking well!
Indeed. I've stuck with it since launch day just because I love BF.

Just glad the game is now delivering. Plus I've always loved the sound in BF games - it's the franchise I play the most so the best thing to test my Maxwells with :)

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,451 of 4,444
Have you updated to the latest firmware on Audeze HQ? I ask because PS5 is supposed to stop reading the Dongle as connected when you fully power off the Maxwell. Mine will automatically switch to the HDMI sound output the moment I power off Maxwell.

If you're still having these issues after an update, please contact us at support@audeze.com so we can assist you.

As for volume issues, these things are being addressed in the upcoming firmware, which we hope to have out sometime this week.
That's very odd. I did update the headphones to the latest firmware (1.0.1.32); I don't need to update the dongle or anything right?
The PS5 always detects the dongle even if the headphones are off. If your Maxwells are off, does the PS5 still see your dongle as an audio output device?

Thanks for your response though. I did send an email to support just in case, but I'll continue to tinker now that I know this isn't working as intended.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #2,452 of 4,444
That's very odd. I did update the headphones to the latest firmware (1.0.1.32); I don't need to update the dongle or anything right?
The PS5 always detects the dongle even if the headphones are off. If your Maxwells are off, does the PS5 still see your dongle as an audio output device?

Thanks for your response though. I did send an email to support just in case, but I'll continue to tinker now that I know this isn't working as intended.
The dongle also needs to be updated. And no, the Maxwell disappears as soon as I turn the headset off. Only my HDMI/TV remains as the only Audio choice.

Let me confirm... I haven't exactly used the apps to update on my end.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #2,454 of 4,444
Can you update the dongle on your smartphone?
I spoke to my team, and it seems the Android app only updates the headset at the moment, so I would suggest using the Windows/Mac app to ensure the dongle gets updated if you're having issues.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #2,455 of 4,444
I ordered and received my pair of Maxwells this past weekend. They sound good. They don’t replace my LCD2C/amp-dac for music listening all together but are a nice closed back and wireless alternative. The Maxwell hits mids right on the head for me. They are fantastic. For me nothing beats that laid back slightly less trebly sound with really nice textured bass of the LCD2C. The Maxwell is good but I notice a slightly one note bass feel to them where the 2C clearly picks out the whole range of bass more distinctly. Not by a small margin either. The Maxwell has plenty of bass for me it just does not travel as well if that makes sense. Depending on the connection type this difference is more pronounced as well. Hard wired with USB-C cable it is the least noticeable. This is followed by Bluetooth to phone using LDAC. They are close but USB-C has it beat. The dongle is definitely a step down. This is my least favorite sound out of the headset. This is a shame because it’s a wireless gaming headset yet I find myself wanting to hardwire it because it’s a noticeable step up. Reading on here and finding out that the dongle uses LC3plus explains that. It is what it has to be for low latency but it’s a shame it is what it is and its worst sounding application is wireless music listening and gaming with the dongle. That being said its far and away better sounding than any mainstream gaming headset I have heard. Its just to bad Audeze has spoiled me with its LCD lineup. LOL.

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #2,456 of 4,444
The dongle also needs to be updated. And no, the Maxwell disappears as soon as I turn the headset off. Only my HDMI/TV remains as the only Audio choice.

Let me confirm... I haven't exactly used the apps to update on my end.
Cheers, I must be daft! I didn't realize the dongle had its own firmware as well. I just updated it as well and now it all works as it is supposed to! Thank you so much!

Mar 13, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #2,457 of 4,444
Cheers, I must be daft! I didn't realize the dongle had its own firmware as well. I just updated it as well and now it all works as it is supposed to! Thank you so much!
Thank you for providing this bit of info. It somehow went over my head until you brought it up. I'm glad to hear it resolved your issues!

For now, I bid everyone please ensure you update both headset and dongle through Windows/Mac. If you update through Android, keep in mind it's headset only, so please update your dongle through Windows/Mac soon after to mitigate issues between dongle/headset.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,458 of 4,444
If interested, can anyone look at my custom preset please:

Screenshot_20230313-174340.png

It's experimental. I love this preset so far though. I'm playing anime music on it right now. What do you suggest to make it better? Any criticisms?
Forgot to add, this was made only with rock, j-pop music in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back