Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 13, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #2,431 of 4,444
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing these random abrupt shut offs. And there is nothing that I can consistently do that causes the shut down. It just happens.

I was hoping my Maxwell would be spared these weird abrupt shut-offs, but it happened today for the first time to me while listening to music. Guessing this is from something from the most recent firmware update roughly 1.5 weeks ago because it never occurred prior. @Audeze is the team aware of these abrupt shut-offs since several users are now reporting it and can this be added to the list of fixes for the next firmware update?

Side note - does anyone have any issues connecting wirelessly to the Audeze app on PC? I feel like it's a hit or miss. Sometimes the app won't detect my headset, and other times it will. Has anyone figured out a trick to make them detect the Maxwell consistently?

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,432 of 4,444
I've stuck with 'Audeze' for BF2042 - I've started playing around with a custom Eq but yet to find anything that works as well for me. As for Volume - yea - the max volume is lower than I expected it to be but still higher than I'd be comfortable listening at :wink:
I've stuck with 'Audeze' for BF2042 - I've started playing around with a custom Eq but yet to find anything that works as well for me. As for Volume - yea - the max volume is lower than I expected it to be but still higher than I'd be comfortable listening at :wink:

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #2,433 of 4,444
I've stuck with 'Audeze' for BF2042 - I've started playing around with a custom Eq but yet to find anything that works as well for me.

As for Volume - yea - the max volume is lower than I expected it to be but still higher than I'd be comfortable listening at :wink:
Are they a lot louder than say , Nova pro wireless? I sent those back because they were nowhere near volume level of my Astro a40 with mixamp loudness

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #2,434 of 4,444
I was hoping my Maxwell would be spared these weird abrupt shut-offs, but it happened today for the first time to me while listening to music. Guessing this is from something from the most recent firmware update roughly 1.5 weeks ago because it never occurred prior. @Audeze is the team aware of these abrupt shut-offs since several users are now reporting it and can this be added to the list of fixes for the next firmware update?

Side note - does anyone have any issues connecting wirelessly to the Audeze app on PC? I feel like it's a hit or miss. Sometimes the app won't detect my headset, and other times it will. Has anyone figured out a trick to make them detect the Maxwell consistently?
While we investigate this, please make sure to change auto shutdown to a longer period, up to 6hrs/Never, so it doesn't automatically shut off.

maxshut.jpg

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 13, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,435 of 4,444
Are they a lot louder than say , Nova pro wireless? I sent those back because they were nowhere near volume level of my Astro a40 with mixamp loudness
I'm not sure - I had the NPW but sent them back doe to the ANC mic and overall sound. The Maxwell get more than loud enough for me - that's all I can say I guess. Depends on how little hearing you want when older :p

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,436 of 4,444
On a personal note, I find my Type C ports inconsistent, so I would always recommend checking with the included USB A adapter cable for Maxwell connection stability.

I have always had problems with Type C ports in general with computers, PS5, etc. They work well with some things, not so well with others.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #2,437 of 4,444
I gotta say its been great to see a lot of people mentioning 2042 on here. Long time BF fan really concerned about the game with the launch of 2042, but started playing it a couple months ago again and man is it good. Will never get the player base it should have had if it launched like it is now, but good to see some people are firing it up again to keep it alive and kicking well!

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,438 of 4,444
On a personal note, I find my Type C ports inconsistent, so I would always recommend checking with the included USB A adapter cable for Maxwell connection stability.

I have always had problems with Type C ports in general with computers, PS5, etc. They work well with some things, not so well with others.

Good advice, I have noticed issues with the dongle and the Type C ports on my laptop, but not with the USB A ports with the adapter, though this seems separate from the random shutdown issue. When I've noticed connection issues with those ports, I lose audio but the headset stays powered on.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,439 of 4,444
I gotta say its been great to see a lot of people mentioning 2042 on here. Long time BF fan really concerned about the game with the launch of 2042, but started playing it a couple months ago again and man is it good. Will never get the player base it should have had if it launched like it is now, but good to see some people are firing it up again to keep it alive and kicking well!
I enjoy 2042, play it on the Audeze eq with headphones setting and it sounds good. Will try it out with other eqs but in all honestly I have difficulty discerning the difference between them lol

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,440 of 4,444
Its on Gamepass and PS Plus now so more people should be trying it out.

Mar 13, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,441 of 4,444
I've had the Penrose since it was released and have been mostly happy with them. I have no complaints about their sound quality, and did a lot of A/B testing and comparison with the Sony Pulse 3D, Arctis 7 and HyperX Cloud wireless. For reference, my daily drivers are ZMF Verite and HD650's at my computer and Momentum Wireless 3.0's for travel.

I've only had time to use it for one night, but so far it's been a significant upgrade from the Penrose. The sound quality seems on par though the signature seems to have a slightly different tune - totally fine because the absolute best thing about the Penrose was its sound quality. I feel like the immersive pre-set EQ seems more similar to the stock Penrose signature, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the clarity/dynamics seem closer to the full desktop headsets I use, which subjectively feels like the most noticeable improvement for me in terms of sound.

While I've always loved the Penrose sound, I think the Maxwell completely improves in nearly every other aspect. As promised, the new dongle connection range is ENORMOUS! I actually can't seem to drop it walking anywhere in my house until I go into my son's closet on the opposite end of the house on the second floor and close the door. That's just incredible. I would get slight static "crackle" even sitting with 10 feet of the Penrose dongle, and the headphones would normally start disconnecting once I move out of range into our kitchen. Absolutely no problem with the Maxwell.

I was worried about the increased weight, but I used it for about 2 or 3 hours last night with no issues - I actually find them slightly more comfortable than the Penrose! The suspension headstrap distributes the weight well enough and the pads don't have as much clamping force as the Penrose, which is usually what used to start bothering me after an hour or two of play in the past. The battery life I'm sure is great, though admittedly I've never had issues with that with the Penrose either (I unfortunately don't find time to play hours and hours of games anymore now that I have kids, haha).

I can also confirm that they fit quite well with the PSVR2. I can understand how this fit will be subjective though, as the larger (rounder) earcups barely fit with the way I wear my PSVR2 - depending on people's head shapes and how they wear the halo-style strap, there may not be enough space for the Maxwell, whereas the Penrose was much easier to nestle onto my ears. Thankfully it works just fine for my personal use, and even with the heavier weight, I find this more comfortable than the Penrose due to the reduced clamping pressure. I do feel the weight after a while, but it hasn't been bad - played about 2 hours of GT7 and Horizon with no issues.

My main pet peeve is what I mentioned earlier in the thread - I could always leave the Penrose USB dongle plugged in, and the PS5 would only "detect" it and switch to it when I powered on my headphones. For some reason, the PS5 always detects my Maxwell dongle regardless of whether the headphones are powered on - I've tried all USB ports and even switched between PS5 and PC mode, with no changes. I don't understand why others don't experience this, and I hope there's a way I can fix this.

Lastly about volume - something odd is that I notice that when I kept trying out different USB ports and re-connected the headphones, the audio volume would occasionally seem to get "capped" to a low level - still audible but not as loud as I'd prefer. Generally just power cycling the headphones rectified this and it wouldn't happen again unless I switched USB ports again. Suffice to say I have no issues with volume level now and I don't have it capped.

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #2,443 of 4,444
I've had the Penrose since it was released and have been mostly happy with them. I have no complaints about their sound quality, and did a lot of A/B testing and comparison with the Sony Pulse 3D, Arctis 7 and HyperX Cloud wireless. For reference, my daily drivers are ZMF Verite and HD650's at my computer and Momentum Wireless 3.0's for travel.

I've only had time to use it for one night, but so far it's been a significant upgrade from the Penrose. The sound quality seems on par though the signature seems to have a slightly different tune - totally fine because the absolute best thing about the Penrose was its sound quality. I feel like the immersive pre-set EQ seems more similar to the stock Penrose signature, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, the clarity/dynamics seem closer to the full desktop headsets I use, which subjectively feels like the most noticeable improvement for me in terms of sound.

While I've always loved the Penrose sound, I think the Maxwell completely improves in nearly every other aspect. As promised, the new dongle connection range is ENORMOUS! I actually can't seem to drop it walking anywhere in my house until I go into my son's closet on the opposite end of the house on the second floor and close the door. That's just incredible. I would get slight static "crackle" even sitting with 10 feet of the Penrose dongle, and the headphones would normally start disconnecting once I move out of range into our kitchen. Absolutely no problem with the Maxwell.

I was worried about the increased weight, but I used it for about 2 or 3 hours last night with no issues - I actually find them slightly more comfortable than the Penrose! The suspension headstrap distributes the weight well enough and the pads don't have as much clamping force as the Penrose, which is usually what used to start bothering me after an hour or two of play in the past. The battery life I'm sure is great, though admittedly I've never had issues with that with the Penrose either (I unfortunately don't find time to play hours and hours of games anymore now that I have kids, haha).

I can also confirm that they fit quite well with the PSVR2. I can understand how this fit will be subjective though, as the larger (rounder) earcups barely fit with the way I wear my PSVR2 - depending on people's head shapes and how they wear the halo-style strap, there may not be enough space for the Maxwell, whereas the Penrose was much easier to nestle onto my ears. Thankfully it works just fine for my personal use, and even with the heavier weight, I find this more comfortable than the Penrose due to the reduced clamping pressure. I do feel the weight after a while, but it hasn't been bad - played about 2 hours of GT7 and Horizon with no issues.

My main pet peeve is what I mentioned earlier in the thread - I could always leave the Penrose USB dongle plugged in, and the PS5 would only "detect" it and switch to it when I powered on my headphones. For some reason, the PS5 always detects my Maxwell dongle regardless of whether the headphones are powered on - I've tried all USB ports and even switched between PS5 and PC mode, with no changes. I don't understand why others don't experience this, and I hope there's a way I can fix this.

Lastly about volume - something odd is that I notice that when I kept trying out different USB ports and re-connected the headphones, the audio volume would occasionally seem to get "capped" to a low level - still audible but not as loud as I'd prefer. Generally just power cycling the headphones rectified this and it wouldn't happen again unless I switched USB ports again. Suffice to say I have no issues with volume level now and I don't have it capped.
In which port did you finally leave it connected (usb c/, usb 2.0 in front or usb 3.0 behind)?

Mar 13, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,445 of 4,444

Have you updated to the latest firmware on Audeze HQ? I ask because PS5 is supposed to stop reading the Dongle as connected when you fully power off the Maxwell. Mine will automatically switch to the HDMI sound output the moment I power off Maxwell.

If you're still having these issues after an update, please contact us at support@audeze.com so we can assist you.

As for volume issues, these things are being addressed in the upcoming firmware, which we hope to have out sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back