Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 9, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #2,251 of 4,444
Yes, I know, but I've been wearing my Penroses for six months and they're perfectly fine.

The Maxwells do not use the 2.4 ghz protocol to connect to Ps5?? Is it different from Penrose??

I don't have my Maxwell yet, and tbh haven't used my Penrose for a long while to be able to compare, but most people are saying that apart from the volume, Maxwell sounds at least as good, and in most cases better.

Maxwell dongle uses a super low latency Bluetooth codec instead of the traditional 2.4ghz wireless, this has been discussed over the last few pages.

Mar 9, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #2,253 of 4,444
The Maxwell is a follow-up to the Penrose. With the Penrose you may have pops and cutouts because of interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum. The Maxwell uses a BT for the PS5 and the interference is non-existent in my experience.
I'd say the problem was that the protocol was a custom one, whereas Bluetooth is so widespread that it had to be handling these much better (or nobody would use it).

The only way i guess would be to use aptX Lossless, but that's going to be for the next model maybe...

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #2,256 of 4,444
It has arrived! I can't believe it's real!

First impressions out of the box; build quality is incredible, feels very premium! Ear cups are much better than Penrose IMO too, feels like my ears are more enveloped.

Maybe I've got a pea head, had to move my band down to the lowest setting, although it felt a little snug, may have to alternate the band on one side, will play with it more when I get time. Clamp force WAY better than Penrose, that was a big negative for me last time around.

Sound-wise I haven't had much time to play around, just blasted one of my favourite Metallica tracks from the last album, sounded clean as hell, can't wait to spend more time with it and play with the presets.

Hope my other UK brethren get theirs today also, weather conditions aside!

Mar 9, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #2,257 of 4,444
Nice. Mine are still in the North Midlands Mail Centre but we have a load of snow in the area apparently. I’m in Paris and due back tonight, if my flight doesn’t get cancelled 😅

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #2,261 of 4,444
It has arrived! I can't believe it's real!

First impressions out of the box; build quality is incredible, feels very premium! Ear cups are much better than Penrose IMO too, feels like my ears are more enveloped.

Maybe I've got a pea head, had to move my band down to the lowest setting, although it felt a little snug, may have to alternate the band on one side, will play with it more when I get time. Clamp force WAY better than Penrose, that was a big negative for me last time around.

Sound-wise I haven't had much time to play around, just blasted one of my favourite Metallica tracks from the last album, sounded clean as hell, can't wait to spend more time with it and play with the presets.

Hope my other UK brethren get theirs today also, weather conditions aside!

Congrats - just listening to mine for the first time also.

My initial impressions on quality match yours - these feel several leagues above the Penrose in materials etc. Comfort is absolutely fine, despite the weight - really happy the Penrose clamp hasn't been repeated.

First mic test was encouraging - so will be using these for work meetings now as well as gaming (any excuse not to take them off!!). I've kept the headband on the middle setting which suits me so far.

Connected to Android app and tweaked settings and played some music via Bluetooth and now background music while I work on PC connected via dongle.

Sidetone (which is essential for me to use a closed back headset/headphone) much, much better than Penrose too.

Initial sound impressions are that the title of best wireless gaming headset sound given to the Penrose isn't slipping from Audeze's grasp with the Maxwell either although pleasingly, these sound a little less 'shouty' to me (I'm just using the Audeze setting for now). Also, absolutely plenty of volume headroom on PC and PS5 for me - on Android via Bluetooth I've been as high as about 75% but there's still plenty of headroom when connect that way.

Will be playing around a bit more and testing on the PS5 later.

Hope you enjoy your first day with them and hope all the other UK buyers receive theirs today too :)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #2,262 of 4,444
Alright mine arrived today from HFH which is decent.

Can I ask a silly question? Is it possible to change the volume of the system notifications? E.g. power on, usb connected etc?

I really don't understand why these notifications are seemingly ran at max volume, it's physically painful to me.

It's not that quiet at the moment but once sidetone was off I haven't noticed any noise so the improved noisefloor seems to be real thank god, it the reason I gave up on all my wireless headphones and had to return each one (including Penrose). Will see how it is later this evening with a proper listen.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #2,263 of 4,444

Can I ask a silly question? Is it possible to change the volume of the system notifications? E.g. power on, usb connected etc?

I really don't understand why these notifications are seemingly ran at max volume, it's physically painful to me.

It's not that quiet at the moment but once sidetone was off I haven't noticed any noise so the improved noisefloor seems to be real thank god, it the reason I gave up on all my wireless headphones and had to return each one (including Penrose). Will see how it is later this evening with a proper listen.
You can change the volume of that in the Audeze HQ software on PC at least. Not sure about the Android app.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #2,264 of 4,444

Voice prompt volume can be adjusted in the Audeze HQ app (at least it can on the PC version - haven't checked the Android app for that yet).

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #2,265 of 4,444
You can change the volume of that in the Audeze HQ software on PC at least. Not sure about the Android app.
Thanks I will check that out, only tried it on my phone for a moment but it doesn't let you do it via the android app, infact the app only works if you use Bluetooth as it won't even show the headphones if using the dongle on phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back