Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #2,011 of 4,444
Sidetone should have the mic processing applied to it. The buzzing does sound terrible.

That's tough. I have it off personally. My friends have said my voice sounds too processed with it on.

Personally, my room is pretty quiet, so it's not a huge deal for me, but I can see scenarios where someone wants sidetone off, but AI filtering off.

Mar 5, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #2,012 of 4,444
Whats everyone's feedback since the Firmware update? Have you noticed any difference in volume? I was never able to handle 100% on the Penrose. I tested the Maxwell in similar situations and I am very comfortable at 100% with it. This worries me somewhat because I am at the ceiling already it was always good to know I could raise it a bit If need be.
Have you finally been able to check the difference in maximum volume on PS5 between usb and dongle?
From what you say, you are still using the volume output at almost 100% after this last update.

Mar 5, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #2,013 of 4,444
The only thing I noticed before and after the update is using a USB to the headset makes it a lot louder then using the USB wireless. To me it sounds the same before or after update.

I am perfectly fine with the USB wireless sound volume. I am not a fan of having wires just to get loud because I play RPGs and I am not one of those people who want LOUDER and LOUDER volume. If you want max volume and try playing a RPG it would blow out your ears.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #2,014 of 4,444
Anybody measure the volume levels after the firmware patch?

As I think scratchansniff measured pre-firmware:

Bluetooth: 63 DB
USB: 79.4 DB
Dongle I got 59.7 DB:

Anything under 70dB is pretty piss poor in my opinion. I believe the Sony Pulse 3D is advertised to do 75dB at max volume which is more ideal but less ideal it cannot be increased further for games that are naturally more quiet. 79.4dB over the USB is a pass however Bluetooth and the Dongle, this needs some help ASAP.

Mar 5, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #2,015 of 4,444

Dongle I got 59.7 DB:

Anything under 70dB is pretty piss poor in my opinion. I believe the Sony Pulse 3D is advertised to do 75dB at max volume which is more ideal but less ideal it cannot be increased further for games that are naturally more quiet. 79.4dB over the USB is a pass however Bluetooth and the Dongle, this needs some help ASAP.

Wonder if it's a bug that needs fixing. It sounds like it's still an issue after update. Interested to see if the measurements changed any.

Only good thing about waiting on the Xbox version is the bugs should be worked out by time we get ours.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #2,016 of 4,444
I think it's some kind of bug, I found this on reddit:
''
I think this is a bug of some kind. My Maxwell's are not as loud as Penrose but still plenty loud, esp at 100. I walked out of range from the dongle and came back and they were suddenly stupid quiet. I had to goto 100 just to get the stream I was watching to be slightly loud.
Unplugged the dongle, tried USB, headset on/off nothing was fixing it. I went into device manager and uninstalled both Audeze chat and game drivers. That finally fixed it. I think I may have turned off/on the headset a few times after or unplugged/plugged the dongle.
I see quite a few people complaining about the audio level and I think this might be the issue.
Edit: I actually just experienced this bug again after writing this. Uninstalling the Audeze game/chat drivers in Device Manager is the fix. Turn off and on the headset and the volume I heard was the same but the level was only at 50% instead of 100%.''

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2,017 of 4,444

Dongle I got 59.7 DB:

I haven’t had chance yet due to work but I will have time tonight from 9.30 gmt.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #2,019 of 4,444
I thinking about canceling my preorder from Audeze.co.uk when I reading about all this issues with MAXWELL.Looks like this headset will be have ongoing problems like PENROSE 😔
Compared to Penrose, maxwell is working sooooo much better already haha! Also maxwell sounds imo better overall than Penrose too. All though issues at first batch is to b expected but this isn't even anything near what Penrose had.
About sound bug, i think it was something with Mix amp bugging, but by reseting headset headphone and unplug dongle again, issues was solved, at least for me.

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,020 of 4,444
I thinking about canceling my preorder from Audeze.co.uk when I reading about all this issues with MAXWELL.Looks like this headset will be have problems all the time like PENROSE 😔
You might as well at least wait to see what Audeze says when they get back into office tomorrow. The volume is the only thing being complained about, I don't know what"all the issues"are.

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,022 of 4,444
Have not noticed a change after updating the dongle.

One thing that surprised me: Modern Warfare 2 sounds drastically different on the Maxwell compared to my Arctis 7 using the same audio mix settings. With audio set to Headphones or TV, the Maxwell makes gunfire sound painfully sharp, all high frequency "crack" noises and very loud. Gun sounds from the Arctis 7 had much stronger low end, and were slightly quieter.

Switching to Home Theater audio mix, the Arctis headphones did not change much, maybe losing some of the high frequencies in gun sounds. The Maxwell saw a massive change, and became very close to the Arctis but with more detail.

I'm sure you can tell from the above that I know very little about audio. What's going on?

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #2,023 of 4,444
Have not noticed a change after updating the dongle.

One thing that surprised me: Modern Warfare 2 sounds drastically different on the Maxwell compared to my Arctis 7 using the same audio mix settings. With audio set to Headphones or TV, the Maxwell makes gunfire sound painfully sharp, all high frequency "crack" noises and very loud. Gun sounds from the Arctis 7 had much stronger low end, and were slightly quieter.

Switching to Home Theater audio mix, the Arctis headphones did not change much, maybe losing some of the high frequencies in gun sounds. The Maxwell saw a massive change, and became very close to the Arctis but with more detail.

I'm sure you can tell from the above that I know very little about audio. What's going on?
I think it may be due to the dynamic range of the game itself when you select the different options.
In theory, audio sets headphones and TV have a smaller range and the sound is compressed so there isn't as much of a difference between frequency and different volume levels.
Each game is a world, try and stay with the one you like the most, the audio is very subjective and personal.
The strange thing is that there is such a drastic change in frequencies between the two headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back