Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Feb 24, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,666 of 4,444
This question probably has been answered, but I just wanna make sure.

SS Nova Pro wireless has this on the website:
Headphone Frequency response (wired) 10-40,000 Hz
Headphone Frequency Response (Wireless) 10-22,000 Hz

Regarding Maxwell, it has the same wired or wireless right? 10Hz-50kHz regardless how you connect it?

This is what I'm a bit confused about. All (or most?) reviews compare these headsets in wireless mode only.
I never had a wireless headset before and I don't actually mind the wire. I don't really walk around with it at all.
So for me the important question is, how does it compare to the Nova Pro when Nova is wired.

Like if I'm getting this right, you are comparing Nova Pro wireless with a frequency response of 10-22kHz vs Maxwell that has 10Hz-50kHz? Does that frequency response affect the music quality? Does it affect how good it it to pinpoint footsteps? Etc.

I'm a total noob when it comes to this (if you haven figured that out yet). So if someone wants to take the time to explain this, please consider that. :)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #1,667 of 4,444
This question probably has been answered, but I just wanna make sure.

SS Nova Pro wireless has this on the website:
Headphone Frequency response (wired) 10-40,000 Hz
Headphone Frequency Response (Wireless) 10-22,000 Hz

Regarding Maxwell, it has the same wired or wireless right? 10Hz-50kHz regardless how you connect it?

This is what I'm a bit confused about. All (or most?) reviews compare these headsets in wireless mode only.
I never had a wireless headset before and I don't actually mind the wire. I don't really walk around with it at all.
So for me the important question is, how does it compare to the Nova Pro when its wired.

Like if Im getting this right, you are comparing Nova Pro wireless with a frequency response of 10-22kHz vs Maxwell that has 10Hz-50kHz? Does that frequency response affect the music quality? Does it affect how good it it to pinpoint footsteps? Etc.

Im a total noob when it comes to this (if you haven figured that out yet).

Just FYI, those numbers are essentially meaningless. Humans can only hear from about 20 Hz to 20 kHz with perfect hearing (less than that for the vast majority of adults), and just having a range like that tells you nothing about how loud a particular frequency is relative to another, so simply saying a headphone can reproduce a certain frequency isn't telling you anything particularly useful regardless.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #1,668 of 4,444
Just FYI, those numbers are essentially meaningless. Humans can only hear from about 20 Hz to 20 kHz (less than that for adults), and just having a range like that tells you nothing about how loud a particular frequency is relative to another, so simply saying a headphone can reproduce a certain frequency isn't telling you anything particularly useful regardless.

Hm, that's good to know! Thanks for letting me know.
But... Hasn't it always been like a "known fact" that wired headsets perform better than wireless? Maybe it has nothing to do with the frequency response, but other things?
So my questions probably still stands.

Edit: Also, I read that Nova Pro the actual wired version is Hi-Fi Certified. How does that compare with the Maxwell? And that version also comes with the v2 GameDAC with the ESS Sabre tech. I assume that would also have an effect on sound quality.

Found a comment for Nova Pro Wireless on Reddit from random user:
"From my experience, I can tell you that I instantly notice the difference when I plug in the cable. The soundstage seems wider and the sound overall brighter. And I am not looking for a difference."

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #1,670 of 4,444
Can never take his 'sound' part of any review seriously if I'm honest - it usually consists of just - 'the treble was up here, the mids over there and the bass was punchy down here' - that's about it - if it's not 'v-shaped' he won't generally like it. I remember her posted some Steelseries Eq suggestions a year or two back and they were as big a V shape as possible - not my taste at all.

He's getting touchy now as he knows he can't produce the same technical comparisons/opinions.
He's clueless!

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,672 of 4,444
If the frequency responses is meaning less why is it mentioned on every headset & headphone?

Marketing. "Oh look, that number is bigger! It must sound better!"

Nevermind that you'd have to be a dog to hear that frequency.

Also probably a holdover from spec sheets for speakers, where they really may not cover the entire audible range.

Note that a frequency response graph, where you actually see the amplitude over a range of frequencies IS useful. It's just frequency ranges where it just lists two numbers like that like that that aren't.

Hm, that's good to know! Thanks for letting me know.
But... Hasn't it always been like a "known fact" that wired headsets perform better than wireless? Maybe it has nothing to do with the frequency response, but other things?
So my questions probably still stands.

That depends on a lot of factors, like what type of wireless signal we're talking about. If you're using the Maxwell with Bluetooth, then technically there is data loss, because the Bluetooth codec it uses are lossy. But can you actually hear that? Maybe, maybe not.

I believe Audeze markets the dongle as being lossless, in which case there isn't necessarily any reason why wired would perform better than the dongle, but again that doesn't mean it doesn't, because implementation matters. For example, does the dongle drop the transmission bitrate if you go further from it or if there's interferance to keep the signal strong? Than it may dip below lossless in some circumstances. Again, can you actually hear the difference? Maybe, maybe not.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #1,674 of 4,444
Marketing. "Oh look, that number is bigger! It must sound better!"

Nevermind that you'd have to be a dog to hear that frequency.

Also probably a holdover from spec sheets for speakers, where they really may not cover the entire audible range.

Note that a frequency response graph, where you actually see the amplitude over a range of frequencies IS useful. It's just frequency ranges where it just lists two numbers like that like that that aren't.

That depends on a lot of factors, like what type of wireless signal we're talking about. If you're using the Maxwell with Bluetooth, then technically there is data loss, because the Bluetooth codec it uses are lossy. But can you hear that? I believe Audeze markets the dongle as being lossless, in which case there isn't necessarily any reason why wired would perform better, but again that doesn't mean it doesn't, because implementation matters.

Okay but then again. You talk about that the Maxwell has lossless. I'm still trying to understand if the Nova Pro WIRED is better than Maxwell. Which doesn't really get answered here. Because like I wrote earlier, Maxwell only gets compared to the wireless Nova.

The Nova Pro is cheaper than Maxwell (and Nova Pro wireless) and it comes with the Hi-Res Certified GameDAC v2.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #1,675 of 4,444
I'll watch his reviews just to get impressions but it's really tough to get through his videos. Am I the only one? He just looks like a 40 year old, trying to act like the personality of a 25 year old.
His overall persona is a little odd, and Twitter isn't worth following. I enjoy his videos but find him a little something. Like I would have a drink with many of the headphone reviewers, but technie is a little cringe and gamery not classy. I think you can play games and enjoy headphones without the extra fluff, maybe it's his stick and the character he has developed helps him make money. Not sure. Definitely don't hate the guy, but he's unique and I appreciate his honest views and trust him to tell me if a headset is stinky cozy. There are others I'd rely on to tell me if a headset is good sonically.

Feb 24, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,676 of 4,444
Okay but then again. You talk about that the Maxwell has lossless. I'm still trying to understand if the Nova Pro WIRED is better than Maxwell. Which doesn't really get answered here. Because like I wrote earlier, Maxwell only gets compared to the wireless Nova.

The Nova Pro is cheaper than Maxwell (and Nova Pro wireless) and it comes with the Hi-Res Certified GameDAC v2.
Wired can only be better than wireless (except maybe for the Penrose which has 48khz 16 bit audio lossless -- no wonder it has such a limited range). The maxwell codec is lossy at 500 kbits/s (vs 1500 for the lossless Penrose link).

However, the audio quality of two headsets cannot be reduced to specs, i did'nt test the nova but i would bet that the planar drivers of audeze are better.

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,677 of 4,444
Wired can only be better than wireless (except maybe for the Penrose which has 48khz 16 bit audio lossless -- no wonder it has such a limited range). The maxwell codec is lossy at 500 kbits/s (vs 1500 for the lossless Penrose link).

However, the audio quality of two headsets cannot be reduced to specs, i did'nt test the nova but i would bet that the planar drivers of audeze are better.

Isn't the Maxwell advertised as "wireless lossless quality" ?
Also as for the Maxwell codec being lossy at 500kbits, where does that come from ?

Sorry for the questions but I'm on the edge to purchase a Maxwell but I need to know everything beforehand.

Feb 24, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #1,678 of 4,444
Did anyone check out Techne's review of the Maxwell?

Overall a decent review and he seems to be swooning over them but I found it super interesting how dismissive he was about the "technical" sound, how he despises the EQ band and that it's all "marketing, corporate" mumbo jumbo. I get that he's not technically inclined and I actually agree with the general sentiment that customers should make a decision on how headphones sound to them vs. getting obsessed with technicalities. And even though I'm not that technically inclined myself I know that the EQ graphs etc. exist for a reason. There's a science behind tuning every headphone and it's what makes them sound unique from each other. In fact, it's what's helped me learn how music is recorded and reproduced and where the different "sound profiles" sit on an EQ band based on their frequencies (bass, mids, treble). I'm all for user-focused reviews - it's definitely an important perspective but there was no need to be so condescending about people who prefer to make decisions on the technical aspects imo. Makes reviews more well-rounded.

If anything his review did help reassure my purchase decision but it was kinda spicy. @GadgetryTech I wonder what you made of that since your reviews are often really well balanced (mix of user side focusing on feature set etc. and technical breakdown). Not trying to instigate but just getting your take on that.

I thought the "review" was trash tbh. This whole notion that you need to try every headset for yourself is disconnected from reality imo. Most people can't afford to buy every decent headset on the market to try it for themselves. Even if you buy them and send them back, that's upfront money and there's risk of damaging a headset while you're trying them and getting charged accordingly. There are aspects of sound that is generally appealing to most people that you can use as a reference to narrow your search. From there, sure try the ones you're interested in, but if you're review is 100% feeling then it adds no value.

Also, the Techne doesn't believe in EQ which is crazy to me as you can get a good sound to great through EQ. Instead of EQing he goes to his wall of headsets to grab a headset with a different sound (one for fps, one for single player, one for music, etc). That's also disconnected from the average consumer. Most people will be able to afford 1 good headset and will need multiple EQ profiles to change the sound to fit the use at the time. Saying I don't EQ, but uses 6 different headsets is just privilege.

The Techne is basically a sales person. I remember watching his original Nova pro review and the headset was "stinkin cozy", but fast forward a few months the headset pads are terrible with the new wicked cushions and to use his code in the description. At best the Techne videos are decent impression videos, but if there's any way he can profit from a sale then his comments will be 95% positive. I don't trust anything he says. Everything is good because it's all subjective right?

Feb 24, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #1,679 of 4,444
Had my Maxwell for a couple of days without any issues but last night it randomly powered off a couple of times while i was using it. First time was while watching a youtube video and the second time was while i had spotify playing. Not sure what is going on but i would just hear the "power off" audio cue both times, turning it back on was normal and didnt occur again after so far.

Anyone notice anything similar like that with theirs?

Feb 24, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #1,680 of 4,444
I feel dumb asking this question, but how strong is the sidetone compared to the GSP 670s? Already, it sounds (from reviews) objectively better from an audio standpoint. The mic noise cancelling as well sounds amazing. I would love to see an A/B test vs. Nvidia Broadcast.

Not going to ask when Microsoft will certify the headset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back