Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 26, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #841 of 4,444
i bought the steelseries nova pro wireless as my interim headset for work+game whilst waiting for the Maxwell.

The nova pro wireless ANC nipple at the earcups didnt affect my ears. Sound quality wise is so so. Nothing to shout about. I just like how it looks and the ease of the swappable batteries in which i dont need to ever plug a usb cable to charge it. Its been my daily driver ever since.

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #842 of 4,444
i bought the steelseries nova pro wireless as my interim headset for work+game whilst waiting for the Maxwell.

The nova pro wireless ANC nipple at the earcups didnt affect my ears. Sound quality wise is so so. Nothing to shout about. I just like how it looks and the ease of the swappable batteries in which i dont need to ever plug a usb cable to charge it. Its been my daily driver ever since.
have you owned the Mobius or Penrose? how do the Nova's compare to them sound wise?

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #843 of 4,444
have you owned the Mobius or Penrose? how do the Nova's compare to them sound wise?
I have them. I’d say Nova Pro Wireless is warm, lacking a bit in the mids. Has some sibilance because it has a focus on frequencies for gaming like footsteps or something.

For music, it’s better for relaxed music, but I’d EQ it. For gaming, it seems like a fairly reasonable tuning.

That being said, I don’t really play competitive games, so I prefer a more musical tuning which the Mobius/Penrose will do a better job with. It is a significant upgrade in sound quality over the Nova Pro Wireless. Audeze still has the best sound for a wireless gaming headset, hands down. But the Nova Pro has ANC, and some may find that more important, although it isn’t very strong.

Jan 26, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #844 of 4,444
Hi I've owned the penrose nova pro wired and wireless the novas are awful sound wise there previous iteration was better, then penrose is a lot better sound wise but the comfort wasn't for me the pc38x was better in my opinion but being an open back might not suit your situation

Jan 26, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #846 of 4,444
I have used the Arctic nova pro wired and wireless. Return the wired (even though they sound just abit better due to it being wired) and kept the wireless. Realised the convenience of the wireless outweighs the constrictive wired usage. Ordered the maxwell as i know it will sound better.

I have also used the mobius but repackaged as the hyperx Cloud Orbit. In terms of sound, yea the orbit/ mobius is better due to the planar magnetic drivers. When i set it to run on high def. the clarity and tonality of the audio is better than the arctic nova pro wireless for sure as the orbit is wired as well.

To me the arctic nova pro wireless does nothing wow to my listening experience. I was using the razer blackshark v2 pro and its kinda similar. nothing wow but i just like the convenience of it since the batteries are swappable and the built quality of it. Also another noticeable thing is the nova pro wireless has a wider soundstage as compared to the blackshark v2 pro

I owned couple of headsets before and the headbands are leatherette causing it to peel after awhile and not able to change them, thus i was finding a good headset that is using the strap suspension type and steelseries fall into that category. i am living in humid Singapore thus..alot of fake leatherette stuff always get flaky given time. From secretlab pu leather chairs to faux leather headbands and earpads. For earpads, not really a concern as we can easily swap them out to new ones. I have previously own a hyperx Cloud 2...it flake so bad until i had to peel the entire headband leatherette out otherwise, everyday will see black stuff falling out from it.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #847 of 4,444
I wonder if the Maxwell will have a wider soundstage than the Penrose. Obviously, it's still a closed back headset, but I'm hoping they made improvements with the new headset. The VZR Model One sounds so much better in that area. If the Maxwell has 70% of the soundstage as the VZR then I'll be happy.

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #850 of 4,444
I bought Nova 7x wireless to replace my midfi ATH-990z+Zen DAC v2 and cut the cord - in terms of sound quality for music and gaming, there is literally no place to compare them. Nova 7x sounded like a crap. With that in mind, Penrose X is a lot closer to the ATH+Zen combo.

I am still very interested in the difference in pure sound between Maxwell and Penrose. Since I don't really care for any of the other features (apart from the build quality).

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #851 of 4,444
Now I am completely aware that the Maxwell is unable to do simultaneous Wireless and Bluetooth audio. I have a PS5 and have recently started using Discord from my phone for game chat with my Penrose.
What are my options when it comes to Maxwell? Do I have any options? Now Playstation is meant to have full discord support in March, so that might solve the issue, but I am not holding my breath. Is there any work-around?

Jan 27, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #852 of 4,444
One more thing for the sound - to my ears, swapping the the earpads made a huge difference. Widened the soundstage and added a bit of warmth and overall sound balance. Tamed with a bit of EQ +2 to -2 from left to right and it is honey for my taste. So, I am sure Maxwell can benefit here as well.

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #853 of 4,444
Now I am completely aware that the Maxwell is unable to do simultaneous Wireless and Bluetooth audio. I have a PS5 and have recently started using Discord from my phone for game chat with my Penrose.
What are my options when it comes to Maxwell? Do I have any options? Now Playstation is meant to have full discord support in March, so that might solve the issue, but I am not holding my breath. Is there any work-around?
No workaround until it's implemented into playstation.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #854 of 4,444
@AppleheadMay Yeah, the weight is a little concerning. I have really no problems with my Penroses. They have no problem with build quality nor range but its still tempting for the battery life and hopefully worthwhile sound quality increase? :)
So I finally retired my old Astro A40 headset and started trying out new headsets, I tried Turtle beach stealth 700 max and steelseries nova 7's. Both didnt work out for me so I returned them and ordered a pair of Penrose as everyone says they have the best sound quality, but I was afraid because everyone says the battery life sucks and the range is horrible. Well Ive experienced none of that, range is great all around my house, never had a drop out, battery life hasnt been a problem at all and the sound for games is killer. Even music sounds way better than steelseries and turtle beach. I'm in my Amazon 30 day return window so im returning them not because I dont like them, great headset, but im just to late to the game with the Penrose. Ordered the Maxwell for PS and cant wait.

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #855 of 4,444
So I finally retired my old Astro A40 headset and started trying out new headsets, I tried Turtle beach stealth 700 max and steelseries nova 7's. Both didnt work out for me so I returned them and ordered a pair of Penrose as everyone says they have the best sound quality, but I was afraid because everyone says the battery life sucks and the range is horrible. Well Ive experienced none of that, range is great all around my house, never had a drop out, battery life hasnt been a problem at all and the sound for games is killer. Even music sounds way better than steelseries and turtle beach. I'm in my Amazon 30 day return window so im returning them not because I dont like them, great headset, but im just to late to the game with the Penrose. Ordered the Maxwell for PS and cant wait.
Good to hear regarding the Turtle beach stealth 700 max. I've got the Stealth 700 gen2, which is sonically the same. I thought that was the best "gaming" headset for the Xbox -- excellent isolation, sounds great with Dolby Atmos for headphone, mic quality (although picks up a lot of background noise) and no dongle required.

Maxwell was a bit of an impulse buy because of it! Hope it's a full-blown upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back