Audeze - Our Maxwell Gaming Headsets! (latest: Firmware v61 and HQ v97)
Jan 25, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #826 of 4,444

Before you guys go spend money on something like this you might want to try a good microphone with AMD noise supression if you already own an AMD APU or GPU.
I'm just using an UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone and it sounds a lot better than this guy in the video is getting off his headset mic with the AMD noise supression but you can see in the video that the AMD noise supression MOST OBVIOUSLY WORKS!!! They can improve this over time but the algorythm is already quite good. I wish he could have gotten his good microphone to work with that setup so you can see how much better it works with a decent mic.
Not only does the AMD noise suppression work well for getting rid of noise but it also allows me to use a microphone with desktop speakers. I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydns w/ the Emotiva A2m headphone and speaker intergrated amp and I can turn the speakers up quite loud and even though I'm just using a USB Measurement microphone (miniDSP UMIK-1) it sounds fine and my friends can hear me clearly over the game. Their audio is coming out of a pair of headphone around my neck though... havent tried having their voices come out of the speakers yet. I assumed it wouldn't work well with other peoples voice but I might be wrong if it knows it is coming from the sound out.

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #828 of 4,444

Before you guys go spend money on something like this you might want to try a good microphone with AMD noise supression if you already own an AMD APU or GPU.
I'm just using an UMIK-1 USB measurement microphone and it sounds a lot better than this guy in the video is getting off his headset mic with the AMD noise supression but you can see in the video that the AMD noise supression MOST OBVIOUSLY WORKS!!! They can improve this over time but the algorythm is already quite good. I wish he could have gotten his good microphone to work with that setup so you can see how much better it works with a decent mic.
Not only does the AMD noise suppression work well for getting rid of noise but it also allows me to use a microphone with desktop speakers. I have a pair of Vienna Acoustics Haydns w/ the Emotiva A2m headphone and speaker intergrated amp and I can turn the speakers up quite loud and even though I'm just using a USB Measurement microphone (miniDSP UMIK-1) it sounds fine and my friends can hear me clearly over the game. Their audio is coming out of a pair of headphone around my neck though... havent tried having their voices come out of the speakers yet. I assumed it wouldn't work well with other peoples voice but I might be wrong if it knows it is coming from the sound out.

Nvidia has their own GPU-accelerated noise reduction, RTX Voice. I've also been fairly impressed with the hardware-agnostic noise reduction in Google Meet.

So yes, good software-based alternatives exist, but I still think there is something to be said for having it built into the headset. Then it works across all hardware and software combinations, and it doesn't use any resources on your gaming device.

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #830 of 4,444
I also don't want to spend any GPU resources on this and would rather it be handled by my headset
That's basically where I'm at on a personal note. These things have performance implications on PC. They're not free. They're not TAXING, but I like to dedicate as much just to the games if possible. There's nothing worse than mild frametime micro-stutters due to CPU/GPU hang ups.

I myself have been so used to the Audeze Filter as my microphone (I use my Presonus Eris 4.5s as my speakers) out of straight convenience, and I don't have to wear it. I know it's me saying it but the noise suppression is REALLY good, and Maxwell's is similar in that regard. Of course, be realistic and don't have sound sources playing directly AT the speaker.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #831 of 4,444
Does the Audeze Filter work with PS5 as a USB mic? I don't always want to wear a headset, but I'm always in party chat. The USB mic options from others all require software and aren't really console friendly in regard to features.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #832 of 4,444
Does the Audeze Filter work with PS5 as a USB mic? I don't always want to wear a headset, but I'm always in party chat. The USB mic options from others all require software and aren't really console friendly in regard to features.
filtr.jpg

Yes, it works as a mic on PS5.

Jan 25, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #834 of 4,444
Is there anybody who can answer me about the durability of the glass infused nylon parts near the Audeze symbol? How durable are they?
You should ask on the LCD-2 Classic thread. The LCD-2 classics's rings are made of this, and they can tell you their thoughts on it. Personally speaking, I think it is a very robust solution and gives me a lot of confidence on its durability.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #835 of 4,444
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #836 of 4,444
You should ask on the LCD-2 Classic thread. The LCD-2 classics's rings are made of this, and they can tell you their thoughts on it. Personally speaking, I think it is a very robust solution and gives me a lot of confidence on its durability.
Thanks I will do that just so I have a frame of reference with an Item I've owned How does the durability compare to the Penrose in your opinion? ( if you allowed to say). I found the Penrose weak point seemed to be in a similar place.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #837 of 4,444
Thanks I will do that just so I have a frame of reference with an Item I've owned How does the durability compare to the Penrose in your opinion? ( if you allowed to say). I found the Penrose weak point seemed to be in a similar place.
This has been answered. Maxwell is a completely new headphone from the ground up. It is not based on Penrose and is built to improve the Penrose weaknesses.

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #838 of 4,444
This has been answered. Maxwell is a completely new headphone from the ground up. It is not based on Penrose and is built to improve the Penrose weaknesses.
This is not what I asked they don’t have to be the same to compare durability of the headsets. I get what your saying but the part I am referring too is right near the same point on the Penrose that kept breaking for users. So I am just curious really.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #839 of 4,444
This is not what I asked they don’t have to be the same to compare durability of the headsets. I get what your saying but the part I am referring too is right near the same point on the Penrose that kept breaking for users. So I am just curious really.
The place where the Penrose cracks are made out of plastic, Maxwell is metal so I doubt it will crack.

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #840 of 4,444
The place where the Penrose cracks are made out of plastic, Maxwell is metal so I doubt it will crack.
Also durability was one of the complaints (major ones) against the Penrose - if a company doesn't focus a fair bit of attention on that aspect then they're not worth £300+ of anyone's money - it will surely have been at or near the top of the design teams list.

I'm confident the Maxwell will be just fine in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back